Latency Problem

Troubleshooting your gear or shopping around for new stuff. This is where you need to be.
JD01

Re: Latency Problem

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:41 am Did it ever work right?
It seemed to every now and again. Just suddenly would for one take and then wouldn't work again.

I didn't realise at first 'cos I wasn't actually trying to record songs with it, I was just recording a few tones and stuff, getting used to it, different inputs and all that sort of thing.
Then as soon as I went to record a song in time with a beat last weekend there was obviously a problem.

Just had a good chat with the bloke from Anderton's - he said that "off the record" they're known to be a bit problematic, not from a physical breakage point of view, but that they just don't work for some people on some systems.

I'm getting a Focusrite 18i20 instead now which I am pretty sure will work as my 2i2 is fine. Might put my drum recording back a month as it cost me an extra 100 quid! But I got paid earlier this week.

Just reading through the reviews of the Tascam online, most of them are good as you'd expect, but there's a sizeable group of 1* reviews from people who've just not managed to get it to work with their system for whatever reason.

Its quite interesting when you look at the reviews:
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... ce/reviews
They're either good from people it just works for and terrible from people who just can't get it up and running!
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

You should talk with actual Tascam people instead of some salesman that just "upgraded" you. Lol.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:27 pm You should talk with actual Tascam people instead of some salesman that just "upgraded" you. Lol.
I've already tried Tascam - they were fucking useless.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:37 pm
Have you been on their forum?
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:38 pm
JD01 wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:37 pm
Have you been on their forum?
Yeah - its pretty dead. Searched there for a while too.

The Reaper forum was more helpful, and found loads of tips and stuff to try. There was another guy on there too with the same problem I have with the same new US 16x08
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

What a clusterfuck JD. very unfortunate. But if it puts your mind at ease i have had that same luck with just about any and all M-Audio products i ever purchased. Sometimes some devices just don't play nice with others.

There is no chance that some parts of that interface are using different audio drivers, than other parts? Like would some inputs be utilizing asio drivers and other inputs or outputs be utilizing just windows drivers?
:happytrees:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:29 pm What a clusterfuck JD. very unfortunate. But if it puts your mind at ease i have had that same luck with just about any and all M-Audio products i ever purchased. Sometimes some devices just don't play nice with others.

There is no chance that some parts of that interface are using different audio drivers, than other parts? Like would some inputs be utilizing asio drivers and other inputs or outputs be utilizing just windows drivers?
Dunno. I just know that it doesn't fucking work. So I'm replacing it with something that should work that I already have experience with.

I guess its just one of them things, from what I've read of the reviews, most people love it and think its great... but about a quarter of people who've reviewed it have had similar problems.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Yeah did you try other USB ports?
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Yeah - all that stuff. Different USB cables too.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

I am interested to see how the focusrite compares.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:03 pm I am interested to see how the focusrite compares.
I think Bubba has one and it seems to do him fine.

Hopefully it just plugs in and works!
JD01

Post by JD01 »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:03 pm I am interested to see how the focusrite compares.
WJ, remember when we were trying to video chat the other day and you couldn't hear anything I was doing and there was no good reason why? This fucking interface could well have been the problem.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

JD01 wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:29 pm
WJ, remember when we were trying to video chat the other day and you couldn't hear anything I was doing and there was no good reason why? This fucking interface could well have been the problem.
I am convinced of it.

I can't shake this feeling that the answer is right there in front of all of us and we're just not seeing it. this feels like one of those situations.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Maybe it's some simple setting hidden away somewhere. Maybe it just doesn't work with some computers due to some weird hardware/driver conflict.
Either way I can plug in and unplug two other interfaces that I have all day without any issue
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:05 pm

I am convinced of it.

I can't shake this feeling that the answer is right there in front of all of us and we're just not seeing it. this feels like one of those situations.
This ^^^^

I don't believe it's the interface. I think it's some setting JD has wrong because there are about a billion things that could actually go wrong before the interface is at fault.
Rebel Yell
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

Agreed, I'd want to really dig into that routing software that it came with before giving up on it completely. That said, I'd take an 18i20 over a 16x08 any day of the week. Although my friend's 18i20 died inexplicably a few months ago, which puts a dent in my confidence. It just decided one day that it didn't want to talk to computers any more. He replaced it with a Clarett 8Pre and that's a pretty damn sweet interface for the money.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Tadpui wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:19 pm Agreed, I'd want to really dig into that routing software that it came with before giving up on it completely. That said, I'd take an 18i20 over a 16x08 any day of the week. Although my friend's 18i20 died inexplicably a few months ago, which puts a dent in my confidence. It just decided one day that it didn't want to talk to computers any more. He replaced it with a Clarett 8Pre and that's a pretty damn sweet interface for the money.
All this digital stuff i so disposeable it seems these days. Hefty price tags for stuff that won't last all that long. My Line6 Pod did that to me too. It just said "no thank you i have had enough transferring of this 0 and 1 bullshit for a lifetime, see ya never" It still works and i can use it as an outboard toy. But the USB capability of it just stopped. no warning signs, no push from me for over working it. it just literally stopped. and that was it. I have tried everything but reinstalling windows.

In JD's case, i think there is more to the story. But if he is prepared to get a new AI then do it. That is almost the simplest solution. I am sticking to my guns though that it is just a check of a box somewhere in some piece of software.
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

Well that sucks Jdude, seriously...

Forgive me if you've already gave these details, but:

What platform & OS are you on???
Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, Jackson
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH
TC Electronic, MXR, Yamaha

My music @ Reverbnation :minernuggs:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Win10.

You’re right, could be some check box or setting hidden somewhere. It’s somewhere I can’t find though.
einstein magoo

Post by einstein magoo »

Ok, this may be a really stupid newb dumb ass question, but is there a certain sequence of powering up that is being ignored? In other words, does the interface need to be turned on before you fire up the computer, or vice-versa, etc.?
Unlikely but seems you have tried about everything else? And some stupid shit like this could cause problems