Latency Problem

Troubleshooting your gear or shopping around for new stuff. This is where you need to be.
vomitHatSteve

Re: Latency Problem

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Is it only affecting the bass?

If you've got the same latency all the time, and Reaper's setting to automatically detect it isn't working; using a manual latency setting like you did above may be the best solution.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:24 pm Is it only affecting the bass?

If you've got the same latency all the time, and Reaper's setting to automatically detect it isn't working; using a manual latency setting like you did above may be the best solution.
Nah, it affects everything. Bass is just my natural starting point for recording a song after I've programmed the drums.

I don't think the latency is the same all the time, seems to vary a bit but is generally around 200ms. A couple of times I've thought that I've just about got it right. Actually i think it might vary even during a take. At one point I was just tapping my bass along with a metornome. They were always behind the beat but it wasn't always consistent and my timing isn't that bad!

I don't think its Reapers autodetection, 'cos if I type in the displayed latency in Reaper its way out.
musicturtle

Post by musicturtle »

JD01 wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:09 am Yeah, I've tried reinstalling everything.
It's weird, almost like it's not using ASIO. Very frustrating cos I actually had time to record this weekend but spent it fucking about with drivers instead.
Sometimes the worst part of home recording is the tech problems you have to fix yourself, sapping your time and energy.

Hope you get this sorted soon. It sucks I know.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

no chance you have the "Snap relative to grid" enabled?

Do you still have another AI to troubleshoot with? the 2i2? if you do, maybe see if you can recreate this issue with the Tascam by fiddling with latency on another device to ensure that what your problem is is actually latency and not some other setting related to the Tascam hardware and subsequent software related to it.

I have read through this thread and it doesn't seem to make a whole lot of sense what is going on?? I can't tell if it is a reaper thing or a tascam thing. it would be nice to introduce another AI and see if we can recreate it?
:happytrees:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:45 pm no chance you have the "Snap relative to grid" enabled?

Do you still have another AI to troubleshoot with? the 2i2? if you do, maybe see if you can recreate this issue with the Tascam by fiddling with latency on another device to ensure that what your problem is is actually latency and not some other setting related to the Tascam hardware and subsequent software related to it.

I have read through this thread and it doesn't seem to make a whole lot of sense what is going on?? I can't tell if it is a reaper thing or a tascam thing. it would be nice to introduce another AI and see if we can recreate it?
Before I installed the Tascam it was all fine - I would hazard a guess if I went back to the 2i2 everything would work fine again. No harm in trying unless anyone else has any bright ideas. I've also posted on the Reaper forum, Tascam forum and emailed Tascam support and Anderton's (I got the interface off them).

Oh, I have a UX2 with me this week so I can try a bit of recording with a UX2 one evening this week.
musicturtle

Post by musicturtle »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:45 pm
Do you still have another AI to troubleshoot with? the 2i2? I can't tell if it is a reaper thing or a tascam thing. it would be nice to introduce another AI and seeyou if we can recreate it?
This to me would be a very smart troubleshooting step. If you can isolate it to the interface/firmware/software, then you can go from there.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Just connected up my TonePort UX2. Worked absolutely fine.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Anderton's customer service just got back to me and suggested that I try a different USB cable. That might be it and something I'd never have thought of, flakey USB cables can cause all sorts of trouble.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Possible solution that just came to light on the Reaper forum... my internal "RealTek" soundcard is set to 48000 instead of 44.1 which the Tascam is set to. This doesn't seem to affect the UX2 or 2i2, but maybe it affects the Tascam.
Realtek BitRate.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

You have a conflict. Turn "realtek" off. The Tascam is your soundcard now.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:02 pm You have a conflict. Turn "realtek" off. The Tascam is your soundcard now.
Yeah, I had. Tascam was set to default and that was disabled. I'm not at home now until Thursday night so dont have the tascam with me. It seems that RealTek being there and set at 48k might be a problem anyway. I'll check on Thursday.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

You need to go in and turn off/disable literally everything sound related that isn't Tascam. All of your mic/sound priorities need to be the Tascam.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Yeah. Gonna try it. Never had any problems like this with either the UX2 or the 2i2. But then I suppose the tascam is a slightly cleverer bit of kit!
musicturtle

Post by musicturtle »

How is this part set?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

I've tri3d adjusting all that. Makes no difference.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

JD01 wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:40 pm Possible solution that just came to light on the Reaper forum... my internal "RealTek" soundcard is set to 48000 instead of 44.1 which the Tascam is set to. This doesn't seem to affect the UX2 or 2i2, but maybe it affects the Tascam.

Realtek BitRate.JPG
OK, think I've tried everything now. Disabled everything except Tascam. Everything is set to 24bit 44.1, no change at all. :spacepalm:

Very annoying. Going to try a different USB cable shortly, but that's the last possible solution that I have. After that I'll be changing the unit.

OK, tried changing the USB cable - I'm now using the cable from my old UX2. First I opened a blank project and just tried tapping my bass along with the beat. It worked!! :punk:
Then I opened up the project I was working on, again tried tapping along with the beat... it didn't fucking work. :spacepalm: Then I restarted my computer and it worked :punk:

Dunno if its going to continue to work, if that one was a fluke - I tried it a few times while I had the project open and it was fine.
I'll try it a few times throughout the day to make sure that its going to work consistently... then I'll call Anderton's and try and get some free shit out of them for my trouble.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Its not working. Just tried actually recording something and its started being an arse again. Curiously not quite as bad as it was. But still not right.

There's something obviously up with this unit. I'm gonna send it back and get a Focusrite instead.

Plugged my Focusrite 2i2 back in and it worked just fine.
Last edited by JD01 on Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Make sure the firmware and drivers are up to date and compatible.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:36 am Make sure the firmware and drivers are up to date and compatible.
Yeah - that was the first thing I did when I got it.

This is fucking irritating. But at least now I've basically given up on it I can get on with recording again this weekend but just using the 2i2 instead of messing about with the Tascam
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Did it ever work right?
Rebel Yell