Jam Night at LB's

Weekend warriors or full-timers, if you perform live we want to hear about it!
Post your pics or videos, tell us about your gear and how you set it up! (or how that red head jumped up on stage just as your wife walked in) Every gig has a story please share them here.
ido1957

Jam Night at LB's

Post by ido1957 »

No audio but got the other guy's wife to snap a couple of pics of us on stage.
The other 2 guitarists are friends. Bass player and drummer just sat in which was cool.
I was able to use that Peavey Special which was pretty good with my strat.
I'm leaning towards getting a Marshall DSL20CR because my little GK really needs a cabinet to honk properly.

3 songs and an encore lol:
Folsom Prison Blues
Boot Scootin Boogie
Workin Man Blues
Tore Down

We were first up after the house band which was nice - I was home at 9:45pm (hey I'm old).
This place was packed - we had to reserve a table (in a pub????).
They had an Elvis impersonator who was the "headliner" lol well he had played Vegas.

Sort of Senior Citizens home meets Chili's Restaurant. 50 shades of Grey to be sure. :lollers:
People want something for nothing, they want it right now. Either they can't tell quality or don't care but feel it is important that everyone agrees with them.
Lt. Bob

Re: Jam Night at LB's

Post by Lt. Bob »

looks like fun although none of ya'll look very happy.
Working Man Blues is a fun tunage and I do the other 3 often at gigs.

lol @ 9:45 home time.

I'm old and there's NEVER a night when I'm in bed before 2am and 3 and 4 am is not uncommon ......
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Awesome !! Looking good!
:happytrees:
ido1957

Post by ido1957 »

Lt. Bob wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:18 pm looks like fun although none of ya'll look very happy.

I'm old and there's NEVER a night when I'm in bed before 2am and 3 and 4 am is not uncommon ......
Yeah I'm not an entertainer and couldn't care less about persona on stage.
My only concern is playing and singing well. Not there to entertain or impress anyone (except myself).
I don't drink so there's no alcohol fueled persona either.
This is as serious as I intend to get with my live playing.
I'm a Systems Analyst that happens to play and sing.
My body clock still wakes me up at 4:30-5:00 am regardless of when I go to bed.
I like my 8 hours and don't enjoy being burned out the next day. :lollers2:
People want something for nothing, they want it right now. Either they can't tell quality or don't care but feel it is important that everyone agrees with them.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

ido1957 wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:18 pm
Lt. Bob wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:18 pm looks like fun although none of ya'll look very happy.

My only concern is playing and singing well. Not there to entertain or impress anyone (except myself).
Kudos to you for even doing that much Ido. :like: :like: Some days of late it's all i can do to set aside a simple half hour to keep my callouses in shape.
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

ido1957 wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:18 pm

first i wasn't being critical .... just making observations.

I wasn't talking about a persona and I get that you're playing only for yourselves and to have fun.
You even described it as fun.

When I'm having fun , even all by myself, I'm smiling or laughing ...... goes together with having fun, not just being an entertainer ..... I don't see the least sign of happiness on any of ya'll is all I'm saying.

I suppose if ya'll don't play much then you were all really focused and that can look like seriousness.

As for the hours thing ..... I get that too ..... your body is wired for a certain timeframe just like mine is.
Neither of us can deny our body's sleep inclinations.

No offense was meant.

I can tell you one thing though ..... this is the last time I make any observations about anything .... people are far too touchy for me to make the mistake of freely commenting again.
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

I've become increasingly aware of how important having a good photographer can be for making a show look good afterwards.

My friend Ray takes photos of a lot of my shows, and I assure you we're not nearly this cool in person.
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

those are some cool pics!
JD01

Post by JD01 »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:44 am and I assure you we're not nearly this cool in person.
Mate, I've seen your D&D inspired website! I know you're not that cool in person! :lollers: :lollers2:
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

JD01 wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:31 pm Mate, I've seen your D&D inspired website! I know you're not that cool in person! :lollers: :lollers2:
Harsh, but fair.
einstein magoo

Post by einstein magoo »

Nice! Get in, get out, leave em wanting more! Nice little stage and lighting in the venue. Shits and grins for me after a night like this. Havent done it it years though, other than back yards and patios where everybody is so toasted only the performers know if they flub it up.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

einstein magoo wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:25 pm Nice! Get in, get out, leave em wanting more! Nice little stage and lighting in the venue. Shits and grins for me after a night like this. Havent done it it years though, other than back yards and patios where everybody is so toasted only the performers know if they flub it up.
Deleted the double one. Sorry Magoo.
ido1957

Post by ido1957 »

Saturday Jam at the Leaf. Using my Marshall DSL20CR and my EC Strat. Jamming an Allman Bros tune.
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Nice strat ..... how do you feel that DSL20 keeps up with a band?
ido1957

Post by ido1957 »

Lt. Bob wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:38 pm Nice strat ..... how do you feel that DSL20 keeps up with a band?
In this situation nothing was mic'd. The house band was pretty cool about keeping the volume at a reasonable level. Thus I can hear myself singing in the monitors (not perfect but good enough). I ran the guitar at 7, boost at 3 or 4, amp gain 10 o'clock, amp master 12 o'clock. Lots of amp headroom and my guitar has plenty of room for solos using volume knob.

Same bar, different house band/jam night with guys pounding 100 watt amps like Fender twins and Mesas, and the drummer whacking the shit out his kit, this thing starts to get a little lost. It is audible but doesn't match the punch of the big amps. Vocals monitors are toast and I have to depend on the mains which really sucks. Not sure if I will jam with them again as I am OCD about vocal monitoring.

At a different larger bar, mic'd and slightly through monitors, I ran the master at 10 o'clock and had tons of volume on stage. Big stage, everybody way far away, and the monitors are way more audible which is great for singing. Heavenly mix...lol.

Guys all bring their own amps to jams nowadays. I'm just getting into this scene but all of them are bringing smaller, single 12 combos such as Katana, Mustangs, Fender Tube amps etc. It's the house band that has the bigger amps if any...

This amp is fairly new to me so I'm still tweaking, but it is 100% Marshall with a hint of grit that I personally like. It might be a little dirty for those used to a clean Fender-ish sound though. I haven't bothered with pedals as a) Trying to keep it portable and simple b) My EC has a 25db boost so no need for an OD pedal. Many bring a Blues driver or such, although I have seen one guy with a huge anvil-cased pedal board, which was overkill IMHO (especially since it really didn't contribute anything to his playing).

I'm scoping out the dozens of different weekly local jam sessions so I can pick the ones that are comfortable and have decent sound. All the same guys/gals go to all the same jams - all ex-FT players and a few players looking for work. A definite community of players...

So yeah this this will hold it's own in certain situations...
rayc

Post by rayc »

It's great to see you p;laying, singing and, I hope, enjoying.
Cheers
rayc
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

ido1957 wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:59 pm
This amp is fairly new to me so I'm still tweaking, but it is 100% Marshall with a hint of grit that I personally like. It might be a little dirty for those used to a clean Fender-ish sound though.
ya' know ..... I have ALWAYS gone for a pristine clean ..... a super clean blackface sound with no grit.

You wouldn't think I'd still be evolving at this late date in my career ..... but a couple of years ago, all of a sudden, I started preferring a dirtier clean.
Dunno why ..... I think maybe some gig I did and the amp I used forced me to do it that way and now that pristine clean ain't what i want.

The super clean thing kinda disappears ..... it's like having a bit 'o' grit makes it more present and fuller .... I do a LOT of that Hendrixian type rhythm with note flourishes and pull-offs and hammer-ons in the chords and for that sorta thing a dirtier clean just seems to make it take up more space.
On a recording, maybe not but for live use it just seems to make the rhythm more 'there'.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Lt. Bob wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:34 pm
ya' know ..... I have ALWAYS gone for a pristine clean ..... a super clean blackface sound with no grit.

You wouldn't think I'd still be evolving at this late date in my career ..... but a couple of years ago, all of a sudden, I started preferring a dirtier clean.
Dunno why ..... I think maybe some gig I did and the amp I used forced me to do it that way and now that pristine clean ain't what i want.

The super clean thing kinda disappears ..... it's like having a bit 'o' grit makes it more present and fuller .... I do a LOT of that Hendrixian type rhythm with note flourishes and pull-offs and hammer-ons in the chords and for that sorta thing a dirtier clean just seems to make it take up more space.
On a recording, maybe not but for live use it just seems to make the rhythm more 'there'.
I think what you're experiencing is the benefit of natural tube compression within the amp. A little break up clips the tops off the signal, which allows you to turn up a bit and the "quieter" parts - single notes, leads, sustain - can come up with it. The result is fuller sound and more detail punches through all on it's own. IMO this is where true overdrive pedals really do their best work. When the amp is just starting to break up, like "pushed clean" kind of tones, there's still enough headroom within the amp to get dirtier and a little louder with an overdrive.
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

sounds right ....... and I'm definitely a fan of some compression now after hating it for years.

I'll sometimes go for a compressor sound instead of a dirty sound for sustainy rock leads
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Lt. Bob wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:04 pm sounds right ....... and I'm definitely a fan of some compression now after hating it for years.

I'll sometimes go for a compressor sound instead of a dirty sound for sustainy rock leads
Yup. Kind of two ways to sort of do the same thing.
Rebel Yell