The Big Clash-off.....Rock the Casbah

Your Mom loves your mixes, but are they really up to scratch? Post your tracks here and get the community's feedback to help with the spit and polish. Impress us! We don't bite.
rammer24

The Big Clash-off.....Rock the Casbah

Post by rammer24 »

So, this is the best I can do in 24 hours.

Did I just sing the most racist song that's ever been played on the radio? I think it's not Kosher!!!!! :D

https://bandzoogle.com/tracks/46904/343 ... 68503.html
JD01

Re: The Big Clash-off.....Rock the Casbah

Post by JD01 »

This is really good!
rayc

Post by rayc »

It's certainly full of racial/cultural stereotypes from all directions.
Most catch phrase songs fall into that trap.
Very cool interpretation Rami. Ace.
Cheers
rayc
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

Thanx guys. I'm re-mixing it as we speak. I have to make a decision. Either the chorus gang vocals are too loud, or the lead vocal is too low, but when the chorus comes in, the vocals seem a lot louder than the the lead vocal in the verses. I think I'll nudge one up and the other one down and see what happens.
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

rayc wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:34 pm It's certainly full of racial/cultural stereotypes from all directions.
Most catch phrase songs fall into that trap.
I never really paid attention to the lyrics. I knew there were references to Islam, I think. I don't know what a Shareef is. I thought it was a guy's name, but they use it in a context that makes it sound like Shareef is a title, like "Imam" or something. Then, they mention something about the wind changing direction and "the crowd got a wiff"...of what? Are they saying Arabs smell? LOL! It's hilarious.

Even the Casbah, I always thought it was some kind of Beatles reference since the Clash already mentioned "Phony Beatlmania", and the Casbah was a club the Beatles played in Liverpool.

The.......On top of that, the song goes from dancing at the Casbah to jet fighters bombing something or another.

It's all over the place and I have no idea what the fuck it's all about. :D :D :D
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

The Clash were lots of things...racists not being one of them. They did what most punk bands do - point the finger at everything. If there's something to make fun of or bring attention to, they'll do it.

This song is about a ban on western music in the middle east. The part with the jet fighters is the pilots are ordered to bomb anyone listening to rock music but instead they're blasting it out of their cockpit radios. The people want rock music, but they have to listen to it sneakily. The sharifs don't like it. A "sharif" is a muslim leader. So "Sharif don't like it, rock the casbah" is saying the muslims bosses don't like rock music in the arabic world.

Anyway....you did a real good job Rami. Seems like all of the quirky elements of the song are in there. :coolstorybro: :boombox
Rebel Yell
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

Greg_L wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:07 am The Clash were lots of things...racists not being one of them. They did what most punk bands do - point the finger at everything. If there's something to make fun of or bring attention to, they'll do it.

This song is about a ban on western music in the middle east. The part with the jet fighters is the pilots are ordered to bomb anyone listening to rock music but instead they're blasting it out of their cockpit radios. The people want rock music, but they have to listen to it sneakily. The sharifs don't like it. A "sharif" is a muslim leader. So "Sharif don't like it, rock the casbah" is saying the muslims bosses don't like rock music in the arabic world.
LOL! OK, that makes sense. I didn't really pay attention. I was just learning the lyrics as I was recording it and caught lines about people "Catching a wiff" and "Jet fighters" and "Bedouins". I was like....ok. :wank: :suspicious:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Lol yeah it all makes sense when you read the lyrics with what it's really about in mind. A lot of the verses are basically explaining that as soon as the sharif leaves and/or is out of earshot, the people go back to rockin out.

The "caught a whiff" verse is saying that people are pretending to like traditional religious music, and as soon as the damn temple band stopped chanting and took a break, the people finally got to "catch a whiff" of western music sweeping over "the casbah".
Rebel Yell
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

This is very good, Rami. Love the overall sound, the percussion and piano sounds are great! :coolstorybro:

The vocals are very well done, especially the ambient treatment you've used. I don't think the lead vocal is too low at all, in fact I think it's a dB or two too loud! :suspicious: The bit where the gang vocals and lead vocal comes in sounds great, to me. :)

If I absolutely have to criticise I'd say the guitar is a little loud, although the sound you have for it is spot on, IMO.

Brill. :biggrin:

Oh, and don't forget to add this to the Clash thread as well :biggrin:
Haggard Musician :mad:
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

Bubba wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:18 am Oh, and don't forget to add this to the Clash thread as well :biggrin:
Thanx Bubba. I have no problem turning down my vocals.

Wasn't sure where to put this. I'll put it in the Clash thread, too, I guess. :)
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

Actually, Rami, have you already tweaked this? I've just listened to it through my monitors rather than my mixing phones and the lead vocal sounds about right, now! The rhythm guitar still pokes out a bit, but overall the mix is great. :not worthy:
Haggard Musician :mad:
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

Bubba wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:53 am Actually, Rami, have you already tweaked this? I've just listened to it through my monitors rather than my mixing phones and the lead vocal sounds about right, now! The rhythm guitar still pokes out a bit, but overall the mix is great. :not worthy:
Yeah, I re-tweaked it a few minues ago after reading your post. I jumped at the opportuniy to turn down my vocals. That's probably why it sounds ok to you now. Thanx for pointing it out. :)