new interface time

General recording topics.
liv_rong

new interface time

Post by liv_rong »

Finally pulling the trigger on a new interface. I have a Line 6 UX8 that Dross sold me and it has done well for me but was lacking in inputs. What has really pushed me over the edge is the main volume pot always had a minor scratch to it but has recently gotten relentless along with a few of the trim pots starting to do the same.

I am upgrading to the Roland Studio Capture, a nice little affordable box loaded with a bunch of inputs with a ton of routing flexibility. Dross has had one for a few years and it has not done him wrong.
JD01

Re: new interface time

Post by JD01 »

Nice - that looks awesome, mate. Don't think I can stretch to one myself but I am starting to need more inputs!
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

JD01 wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:55 pm Nice - that looks awesome, mate. Don't think I can stretch to one myself but I am starting to need more inputs!
What are you using now? Something with 2 inputs?
JD01

Post by JD01 »

YEah - a focusrite 2i2
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:55 pm Nice - that looks awesome, mate. Don't think I can stretch to one myself but I am starting to need more inputs!
For what though????
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:59 pm
For what though????
Different mics, emulated out from the amp, bass.
It's a pain in the arse adjusting everything every time I change what I am recording. I often switch between different songs, that need different things and different levels of gain. Then when I return to the previous song it can be tricky to get the input gain right.

Just convenience for now really, but I would like to record some real drums in future too. Oh and I want to stick a MIDI keyboard in at some point. Thinking of a way of getting an interface that will do pretty much everything I need for the foreseeable future.
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

Cool Liv, I've been looking to upgrade my interface eventually, & the Roland was in the top 3-4 I'd thought about...Nice!!!

Be sure to let us know what you think of it after you've had it a while dude... :minernuggs:
Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, Jackson
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH
TC Electronic, MXR, Yamaha

My music @ Reverbnation :minernuggs:
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

Wow, that's a great looking interface. 16x10 should take care of all of your needs for inputs, monitoring, and any outboard gear you want to loop in. Let us know how it works out for you!
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:16 pm
It's a pain in the arse adjusting everything every time I change what I am recording. I often switch between different songs, that need different things and different levels of gain. Then when I return to the previous song it can be tricky to get the input gain right.

Just convenience for now really, but I would like to record some real drums in future too. Oh and I want to stick a MIDI keyboard in at some point. Thinking of a way of getting an interface that will do pretty much everything I need for the foreseeable future.
I see. Well that Tascam you were looking at will do all of that.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:12 pm
JD01 wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:16 pm

I see. Well that Tascam you were looking at will do all of that.
Yeah - I've just put the PRS up for sale to pay for the Tascam... and I've had approval to go for a LP or something similar too.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:39 pm
Yeah - I've just put the PRS up for sale to pay for the Tascam... and I've had approval to go for a LP or something similar too.
Rebel Yell
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

I'd love to upgrade my interface, & the Roland Studio Capture is one of the interfaces I've been looking at...Currently, I don't need more than a couple tracks at a time, but if I'm gonna follow through with the real drum thing, it'll be a necessity....

Like Jdude mentioned, I'd really like to be able to leave some things connected all the time, & not have to mess with any settings, just plug-n-play, sorta..

It'll be a while before I'm able to do that, but eventually I'll get a new interface...

Bill mentioned the Behringer XR18 & it seems like it would be good too...It doesn't seem to have as many bells/whistles as the Roland, but it's a couple hundred $$$ cheaper...I have a few mics that use phantom power, but not sure if the Behringer has it or not...

Keep us posted Liv, I'm curious to what you think about that interface because some of the features are really cool, like the auto-level thing...
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH

JD01

Post by JD01 »

Minerman wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:29 am
Like Jdude mentioned, I'd really like to be able to leave some things connected all the time, & not have to mess with any settings, just plug-n-play, sorta..
Yeah, it's a particular problem with vocals. It's rare for me to be able to get vocals for a whole song done in one session, so I'd like to be able to leave it set up with the same preamp gain.
Bill L

Post by Bill L »

Minerman wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:29 am I'd love to upgrade my interface, & the Roland Studio Capture is one of the interfaces I've been looking at...Currently, I don't need more than a couple tracks at a time, but if I'm gonna follow through with the real drum thing, it'll be a necessity....

It'll be a while before I'm able to do that, but eventually I'll get a new interface...

Bill mentioned the Behringer XR18 & it seems like it would be good too...It doesn't seem to have as many bells/whistles as the Roland, but it's a couple hundred $$$ cheaper...I have a few mics that use phantom power, but not sure if the Behringer has it or not...

Keep us posted Liv, I'm curious to what you think about that interface because some of the features are really cool, like the auto-level thing...
The Behringer has individual phantom power (rather than a global like my Tascam US-1800 has). Global phantom power can effect the other mics/inputs in the same bank.
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

Bill L wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:28 pm The Behringer has individual phantom power (rather than a global like my Tascam US-1800 has). Global phantom power can effect the other mics/inputs in the same bank.
Thanks Bill, that's another plus for the XR18...I didn't do much digging about the phantom power thing, but it's great it's individual...

I'm not at all interested in using wi-fi, but the XR18 has got my attention...
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH

musicturtle

Post by musicturtle »

liv_rong wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:48 pm Finally pulling the trigger on a new interface. I have a Line 6 UX8 that Dross sold me and it has done well for me but was lacking in inputs. What has really pushed me over the edge is the main volume pot always had a minor scratch to it but has recently gotten relentless along with a few of the trim pots starting to do the same.

I am upgrading to the Roland Studio Capture, a nice little affordable box loaded with a bunch of inputs with a ton of routing flexibility. Dross has had one for a few years and it has not done him wrong.
That is a nice looking box. Such a good feeling to upgrade a piece of equipment. Enjoy it.
jonny deep

Post by jonny deep »

liv_rong wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:48 pm Finally pulling the trigger on a new interface. I have a Line 6 UX8 that Dross sold me and it has done well for me but was lacking in inputs. What has really pushed me over the edge is the main volume pot always had a minor scratch to it but has recently gotten relentless along with a few of the trim pots starting to do the same.

I use a Roland Quad Capture and really rate it. The build quality is excellent and the drivers are rock solid.
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

Haven’t done any recordings yet but got everything set up. One of the coolest upgrades with this, besides all the inputs, is being able to control all the inputs and routing on the computer. What this means for me is I can do it all right at my drums since I run a second monitor over there and use a wireless mouse.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

I just had a snoop at that rig Liv and it looks pretty sick actually. I hope it works out for ya man.
:happytrees:
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

Did my first recording and went well. Clearer sounding pre's vs my old interface. Enjoying new things.