Replacement Audio Interface

Troubleshooting your gear or shopping around for new stuff. This is where you need to be.
JD01

Replacement Audio Interface

Post by JD01 »

OK, my Focusrite 2i2 is OK. But its also pretty basic and there's a couple of things about it that irritate me. Partly to do with the drivers, partly to do with 2 inputs being a bit annoying, and partly due to the 2i2 not being able to handle a hot DI without clipping.

Also, I'm planning on trying to record a live drumkit - not next week or anything but over the next few years so I figured I would like something relatively future proof.

Prices for these sorts of things have plummeted it seems and this:
https://www.andertons.co.uk/recording/a ... -interface
Sounds like pretty awesome value for money.
More inputs than I'll need in the short term and enough for recording drums

My requirements are pretty simple:
Decent number of inputs.
Not clipping when I DI a guitar or my emulated out from my amp (which my Focusrite annoying does with the gain right down!)
Low latency stable drivers.
Direct headphone monitoring (I hate monitoring through the DAW)
Greg_L

Re: Replacement Audio Interface

Post by Greg_L »

That'll work
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:51 pmThat'll work
Cheers. I just can't believe how cheap it is! I'm thinking there has to be something wrong! At the moment 4 inputs would be handy, but the price difference between 4 and 8 input units seems minimal.

That Tascam one seems good 'cos its got 10 but two of them are guitar DIs.
With my two inputs at the moment I'm always plugging and un-plugging things, testing and re-adjusting my input gain.

What AI do you use for drums? Also, I know I've asked you before but what mic do yo use for vocals? You sing in a relatively similar style to me - i.e aggressive and shouty. I've been browsing for vocal mics this afternoon, but its almost impossible to have an idea of how something will sound until you sing into it. I'm gonna have another (slightly more scientific) run through my mics for vocals this weekend.

Oh, if anyone knows a suitable AI that comes bundled with decent VSTs that would be good. I'm very happy with the Focusrite VSTs.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:05 pm
What AI do you use for drums?
That one. Mine's about two gens older, but it's the same thing. US-1800. And I use an old Firepod for the preamps and extra inputs. So I've got about 16 inputs or something.
Also, I know I've asked you before but what mic do yo use for vocals?
Most of the time I use an old AT2020 that I got free somewhere like 15 years ago. 90% of all of the vocals I've ever done has probably been with that mic. Then some with the SM7b, which I pretty much hate, and lately I've been using the R144 ribbon mic for vocals more and more.
Rebel Yell
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

The predecessor to that interface was really popular over at HR for a long time. I have no idea if Tascam has brought their drivers into the 21st century or not, but the basic setup is the same as the old US1800 that was a favorite among drummers.

The only other thing to consider would something with ADAT in/out. You can get a smaller interface and expand it with more I/O when the time comes to annoy all of your neighbors with your 50-piece Terry Bozzio drum kit :)

*edit* apparently I type too slowly on my phone. You guys got 2 full posts in before me
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:11 pm
JD01 wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:05 pm
What AI do you use for drums?
That one. Mine's about two gens older, but it's the same thing. US-1800. And I use an old Firepod for the preamps and extra inputs. So I've got about 16 inputs or something.
Also, I know I've asked you before but what mic do yo use for vocals?
Most of the time I use an old AT2020 that I got free somewhere like 15 years ago. 90% of all of the vocals I've ever done has probably been with that mic. Then some with the SM7b, which I pretty much hate, and lately I've been using the R144 ribbon mic for vocals more and more.
Cool - cheers. That interface will go on the shopping list provided that I don't end up buying a few more mics instead.

I'll look up the mic. It does monitor direct and not through the DAW, doesn't it?
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:43 pm
Cool - cheers. That interface will go on the shopping list provided that I don't end up buying a few more mics instead.

I'll look up the mic. It does monitor direct and not through the DAW, doesn't it?
Yup. I never use the direct monitoring, but it will do it.
Rebel Yell
rayc

Post by rayc »

My Focusrite has direct monitoring - it's selected in the mix software.
New monitor, set of drum mics, extra mic stands/clips, extra cables - not a cheap thing to record drums.
Cheers
rayc
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

IS M-Audio a thing anymore?
:happytrees:
musicturtle

Post by musicturtle »

The price on that Tascam is hard to beat with 16 inputs.

FWIW the 2nd generation Focusrite interfaces are better as far as drivers and clipping are concerned. Also, since you already own a Focusrite, you should still be able to use the VSTs and Plugins they are hooked up with, so I wouldn't worry about that too much.
rayc

Post by rayc »

Scarlette 18i20
This looks pretty coolo AND has mains power so will have the grunt to add phantom power to a bundle of amps.
364 quid at Andertons.
Near You?
THEY say...
"Scarlett 2nd Generation interfaces have lower latency than any other USB audio interfaces. Take a look at this short video to see for yourself how latency can cause problems when recording, and find out what you can do to overcome it."
"Many Scarlett users are musicians, and in designing the new generation of Scarlett interfaces we paid special attention to the instrument input. This has its own unbalanced path, which maximises the headroom. In addition, the supply voltages have been increased to the instrument input circuitry, and the high impedance input buffer (a high input impedance preserves the top end of the sound of a guitar) has been reconfigured. Combined, these factors have added a significant additional 8dB of headroom to the instrument input. At the same time, the widely-praised clean, natural sound of the Scarlett mic preamp is unchanged."
It has a pad for input which should deal with your clipping issue I think whilst allowing you to use HiZ. Ask someone with a tech brain though.
Cheers
rayc
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

rayc wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:17 am Scarlette 18i20
This looks pretty coolo AND has mains power so will have the grunt to add phantom power to a bundle of amps.
364 quid at Andertons.
Near You?
THEY say...
"Scarlett 2nd Generation interfaces have lower latency than any other USB audio interfaces. Take a look at this short video to see for yourself how latency can cause problems when recording, and find out what you can do to overcome it."
"Many Scarlett users are musicians, and in designing the new generation of Scarlett interfaces we paid special attention to the instrument input. This has its own unbalanced path, which maximises the headroom. In addition, the supply voltages have been increased to the instrument input circuitry, and the high impedance input buffer (a high input impedance preserves the top end of the sound of a guitar) has been reconfigured. Combined, these factors have added a significant additional 8dB of headroom to the instrument input. At the same time, the widely-praised clean, natural sound of the Scarlett mic preamp is unchanged."
It has a pad for input which should deal with your clipping issue I think whilst allowing you to use HiZ. Ask someone with a tech brain though.
I looked at this yesterday too when the thread popped up and while i would never probably have the need for that many inputs i'd be inclined to get it just to have it. the price is really lovely.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:44 pm
JD01 wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:43 pm

Yup. I never use the direct monitoring, but it will do it.
OK, managed to sell the PRS for 240 quid, 50 quid more than I paid for it and I get to keep the case it came in too!
I now have enough money for this interface, this week, before I rebuild my studio/office on the weekend (carpet fitter in today).

So, connecting monitors - there are buckets of lineouts on the back of that interface. Do I have to somehow assign, say, Line Outs 1 & 2 to monitor L & R?

The headphone jack, is automatically set up for direct monitoring? plonk my headphones in there and I'm monitoring direct?
With the gain on the mic pres at 0, does this effectively switch them off? The line out from my amp is pretty hot and doesn't need my gain. My focusrite struggled with this.
Are all the drivers and stuff readily available and easy to install from Tascam? I've actually had a look on their site for the drivers section and can't find the right model! Do they also give you any free plugins like Focusrite do?
The website says that this interface is USB powered? Really? I thought this one needed mains power.

Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Lol. Download the manual and read it.
Rebel Yell
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

Here's the manual on Tascam's site: http://tascam.com/content/downloads/pro ... _om_va.pdf

I had a quick look:
- It does run on AC power
- No idea about direct monitoring, but it does have a control panel application that might control that
- tons of drivers and firmware updates listed on the downloads page for this interface, as recent as December of 2017. Hopefully the Win10 Spring update didn't break anything. All of my interfaces are fine, so maybe MS didn't break the audio subsystem this time around. maybe next time!
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Got the Tascam :)
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

I'm quite interested in this Jdude, I know Greg has one of these interfaces (right???), so I'm curious to find what you think of it as well...Greg says his is a good interface, & the price is pretty good IMO, especially for the mic-pre's combined with the I/O's...

Looking at the front & back panel, there's a knob to control the volume of line out 1/2, so I'd connect my monitors to that dude...

With the extra outputs on the back, for me, one would specifically be used for re-amping too, another reason I've looked at this interface before...Once you get your cables ran/connected, set it up in Reaper, it'll be there from now on...

Don't forget to go into Reaper > Preferences & enable all the inputs/outputs, but after that I'd have to have the interface in front of me to set up anything else, so like the Gerg says, download the manual dude...

Something else I just noticed is along with the 8 xlr pre's, you also have 2 1/4" inputs for guitar/bass...This would be handy for me to leave one input set up for my guitars, & the other for my bass...My bass has pretty low-output p'ups, so once I found it's sweet spot, I could leave it set just for my bass...Same with the other 1/4" input for my guitars...

Let us know how you get along with this dude...
Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, Jackson
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH
TC Electronic, MXR, Yamaha

My music @ Reverbnation :minernuggs:
TheTestingYak

Post by TheTestingYak »

u r all waisting ur time. band in a box. stop the madness. thx m8.
Good Choon Brav.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Andertons give pretty good service so it should arrive tomorrow. I've just had my home officd/studio carpeted so I'll be getting it all set up again tomorrow then I'm hoping to try recording some bass and drums the week after next.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

JD01 wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:33 pm . I've just had my home officd/studio carpeted . . .
pics plz.