Replacement Audio Interface

Troubleshooting your gear or shopping around for new stuff. This is where you need to be.
Greg_L

Re: Replacement Audio Interface

Post by Greg_L »

If mine has that, I have not seen it, nor do I want to.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

It looks like its potentially useful for recording. I know the interface is also designed to be used as a mixer in a live situation too which is probably where all that stuff is far more useful.
musicturtle

Post by musicturtle »

Nice JD, looks pretty straightforward and useful. Some of these type of products have so many damn bells and whistles that I will never use.
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

Good to see that Tascam puts out a nice and full featured ASIO control panel. Looking good man!
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

JD01 wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:41 am DOn't worry, mate. I was being a plebtard.

When I posted that pic up on the screen it came up bigger and I noticed that the inputs were labelled as first and last not one and two. Sorted now.
That's exactly what I was going to point out to you. You ok now, then?
Haggard Musician :mad:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Yeah - all sorted. Everything seems to be working as it should.
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

I always felt like the extra shit is pretty useless. Why the need to compress or gate before it’s recorded when you can do it all after?
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

liv_rong wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:29 pm I always felt like the extra shit is pretty useless. Why the need to compress or gate before it’s recorded when you can do it all after?
If it has the ability to enable the onboard FX without committing them to the recorded track, then comp/reverb could be used for a "comfort mix" in the headphones. Or with all of these inputs and outputs, he could record a track dry, then use ReaInsert to loop it back out and use the FX of one of the channels to use as a VST insert, or print it to another track.

That being said, I've got comp and EQ on my interface and I've never used them even once. I did turn them on once to make sure they work, but that's it :D
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

Tadpui wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:09 pm
liv_rong wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:29 pm I always felt like the extra shit is pretty useless. Why the need to compress or gate before it’s recorded when you can do it all after?
If it has the ability to enable the onboard FX without committing them to the recorded track, then comp/reverb could be used for a "comfort mix" in the headphones. Or with all of these inputs and outputs, he could record a track dry, then use ReaInsert to loop it back out and use the FX of one of the channels to use as a VST insert, or print it to another track.

That being said, I've got comp and EQ on my interface and I've never used them even once. I did turn them on once to make sure they work, but that's it :D
Now that makes sense, though I dont imagine most home studio dudes using it for that purpose.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

+1
:happytrees:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Focusrite interface seems to be working out much more successfully than the Tascam. Haven't figured out direct monitoring with it yet, but I'm not getting any weird latency like I was before.
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

JD01 wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:17 am Focusrite interface seems to be working out much more successfully than the Tascam. Haven't figured out direct monitoring with it yet, but I'm not getting any weird latency like I was before.
A big chunk of thread seems to be missing, here.
Haggard Musician :mad:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Sorted now.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Awesome man!!! What are the first thoughts of that thing? Aside from it working better how are finding the ease of use? Pros and Cons to both. Ignorign the glaringly obvious latency issue with the tascam ?
:happytrees:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:53 pm Awesome man!!! What are the first thoughts of that thing? Aside from it working better how are finding the ease of use? Pros and Cons to both. Ignorign the glaringly obvious latency issue with the tascam ?
Well. It plugged and played pretty easy. Bit of tweaking with the setup but nothing too taxing.
The gain controls and jacks are all solid.
There's plenty more room in the preamps, I can DI a guitar or record from the emulated out of my amp without having to worry about clipping.
The gain indicators on the front are nice and clear.
No complaints so far really.
musicturtle

Post by musicturtle »

Did you go with the 18i20?
JD01

Post by JD01 »

musicturtle wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:11 pm Did you go with the 18i20?
Yeah
musicturtle

Post by musicturtle »

JD01 wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:12 am
musicturtle wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:11 pm Did you go with the 18i20?
Yeah
Awesome. I only have a 2i2 but I did upgrade to the 2nd gen and I really like it.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

musicturtle wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:39 pm
JD01 wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:12 am

Yeah
Awesome. I only have a 2i2 but I did upgrade to the 2nd gen and I really like it.
I only have a gen 1 2i2... and while I do think the Gen 2 Focusrite stuff is really good, part of me still resents them for making such obvious design errors in the first place!
musicturtle

Post by musicturtle »

JD01 wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:49 pm
musicturtle wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:39 pm

I only have a gen 1 2i2... and while I do think the Gen 2 Focusrite stuff is really good, part of me still resents them for making such obvious design errors in the first place!
Please don't fault them for using the scientific method JD :lollers2: :lollers: