Recording with bats...

Need a helping hand to make sure you do it right, first time? Got some good advice to pass on, so no-one makes the same mistakes you did? This is your forum.
Armistice

Re: Recording with bats...

Post by Armistice »

JD01 wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:46 pm This plays fuck with my OCD. I was ranting at bubba the other day cos the tinned tomatoes were in the tinned veg aisle!
I've learnt to cope with such botanical vs. real life aisle stacking chicanery and just buy them anyway...

We had a thing last week with some (rurally-based) politicians getting exercised because vegetarian meat substitute products found their way into the "meat aisle" of the large supermarket chains. Seriously, don't they have better things to do. No-one after a steak is going to pick up a meat-substitute burger accidentally.

And if they do, then maybe they'll even like it. Or not. Either way, they've had a learning experience.
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

JD01 wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:46 pm This plays fuck with my OCD. I was ranting at bubba the other day cos the tinned tomatoes were in the tinned veg aisle!
If your grocery store is selling canned zucchini, it doesn't matter what aisle it's in; that's a terrible store! :D
JD01

Post by JD01 »

I don't think I've ever seen a tinned courgette. I have a garden full of them at the moment too so don't think I'll be buying any for a while!
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

JD01 wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:25 pm I don't think I've ever seen a tinned courgette. I have a garden full of them at the moment too so don't think I'll be buying any for a while!
You planted them intentionally?!

Says the guy who has to figure out what to do with the 10 pounds of squash the CSA gave him this week.
rayc

Post by rayc »

Zucchini - are OK pan fried or in lasagna. Def. better than eggplant.
My relatively mild OCD on matters of nomenclature and grammar was tempered by relative power. I could state things as fact to a class. I could acknowledge the fluid nature of language and etymological evolution but could also state a given definition that would be the only one given currency within the classroom.
I extended that to insisting the failure to use "please", "may I" & "thank you" would render me deaf to any & all requests from the supplicant until the required forms were used.
Such power.
I no longer have it.
The bats are deaf to my pleas, the zucchini is deaf to my peas.
Cheers
rayc
JD01

Post by JD01 »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:54 am
JD01 wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:25 pm I don't think I've ever seen a tinned courgette. I have a garden full of them at the moment too so don't think I'll be buying any for a while!

Says the guy who has to figure out what to do with the 10 pounds of squash the CSA gave him this week.
Yeah, I seem to be having the fucking things in every meal at the moment. Coffee and tempura courgette batons for breakfast? Why not!
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

JD01 wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:40 am
vomitHatSteve wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:54 am

Yeah, I seem to be having the fucking things in every meal at the moment. Coffee and tempura courgette batons for breakfast? Why not!
How do you have the dedication to make tempura for breakfast? I can barely manage toast. Eggs at a stretch.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Just take a couple minutes.
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

I tried pan-frying one of the squashes. I need to dial in my breading tho; it was bland.

I have no idea how tempura frying works tho.
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Voice 003_sd.m4a
This is what's going on outside my bedroom window right now, at 9.30pm. There's a 4 story high fig tree outside and the figs are ripe so there are about a gazillion bats out there flapping around and screeching, as you can hear. :headwall:

This is just recorded straight onto my phone. Bastards kept me awake last night and they're worse tonight. :frown:

Wish me luck... :shock:

(Tree, at its closest, is about 5m away.) Shame I can't get a picture.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Not a bad recording for a phone. Upgrade to an actual interface and dedicated tree mics.
Rebel Yell
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Want me to make you some jungle loops of those samples?
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Put them through the bit Crusher.
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Voice 005_sd.m4a

And the lorikeet convention in the tree out the front this morning! This used to be such a quiet place...
20190312_080557.jpg
:mad3:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

that is pretty awesome Armi! Good recordings too.

Are the bats those big jesus flying foxes or just normal regular bats.
:happytrees:
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:10 pm that is pretty awesome Armi! Good recordings too.

Are the bats those big jesus flying foxes or just normal regular bats.
Flying foxes - the big mofos. Apart from the noise it is cool having dozens of monster bats in a feeding frenzy just a few metres away. I was watching them from the window for a while. Every now and then one would fly past to the tree that I could have almost reached out and touched. Too dark for a picture - at least with a phone. Might try the real camera tonight... if there are any figs left to eat, that is...
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Those bats are cool as hell man. Sorry about all the noise but it's cool you have that kind of nature around you everywhere.
:happytrees: