Drum tracks

Lloyd Christmas: Wanna hear the most annoying sound in the world?
Armistice

Drum tracks

Post by Armistice »

Hey, can one of you real drummers put a couple of tracks up for me? Doesn't matter what the song is so long as it's rock... Don't need a whole song even... a verse would do

I want to hear the snare mic track and the overheads track and the final drum mix for the same piece of music. I'm always fucking around with the balance between the snare and overheads and room etc. in my drum software and I really have no idea what they actually sound like in a real drum situation.

Getting a good snare sound out of these bits of software is the bane of my existence. Hearing real tracks might help. Thanks in advance. There's a beer in it for you some time. :mrgreen:
Last edited by Armistice on Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
liv_rong

Re: Drum tracks

Post by liv_rong »

I can but my sounds are not up to par. Greg would probably be better.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

http://jmp.sh/jGVSmpD

These are a few tracks I pulled right out of a mix. I combined the overheads, and some of them have plugs printed onto them, but they'll work.
Kick, snare top, snare bottom, stereo overheads, drum stem mix, and full song mix.
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

liv_rong wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:22 pm my sounds are not up to par.
Biggest bunch of bullshit i have read thus far today. Fuck outta here with that talk liv. :dislike: put your shit up.
:happytrees:
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Greg_L wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:21 am snare top, snare bottom,
Interesting. I didn't think you did both. today i learned.
:happytrees:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:34 pm

Interesting. I didn't think you did both. today i learned.
I don't always. It comes and goes for me. Right now I'm in a snare bottom phase.
Rebel Yell
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Sorry - forgot I asked. Thanks Greg!
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Armistice wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:33 am Sorry - forgot I asked. Thanks Greg!
:like: :coolstorybro: :like: :coolstorybro:
Rebel Yell
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Greg_L wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:36 am
Armistice wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:33 am Sorry - forgot I asked. Thanks Greg!
:like: :coolstorybro: :like: :coolstorybro:
That was really helpful Greg - problem with VSTs is that there are just too many controls to fuck with - everything is adjustable and once you start adjusting without really knowing what you're doing you just end up with a mess - like anything else, really. I've only just recently started isolating the various components and understanding them better, and your tracks confirmed what I worked out the hard way - that a lot of the flavour of the snare sound is from the OHs, while the thud comes from the top mic.

Was always wondering why, when I got a decent sound, it was sometimes taking my head off - too much mic, not enough OH. But it's a real balance. Too much OH and not enough mic and it starts to sound distant.

The other learning is that, when you get a scale from 0 - 127 for these things, the snare always sounds crap under about 90 and the majority of the playing needs to be 100-115 or else you're just not "hitting" the "drum" very hard and so for rock music, you need to pound it a bit or it just sounds "light".

Obvious really, but I've watched a number of YouTube vids by people who claim expertise with these things and it's clear that not many of them actually know shit because they never get into OH/mic balance, selecting a good base sound from your range of drums for particular styles, how hard to "hit" or any of this other shit I've been working away at on my own.

Cheers :like:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Armistice wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:27 am

That was really helpful Greg - problem with VSTs is that there are just too many controls to fuck with - everything is adjustable and once you start adjusting without really knowing what you're doing you just end up with a mess - like anything else, really. I've only just recently started isolating the various components and understanding them better, and your tracks confirmed what I worked out the hard way - that a lot of the flavour of the snare sound is from the OHs, while the thud comes from the top mic.

Was always wondering why, when I got a decent sound, it was sometimes taking my head off - too much mic, not enough OH. But it's a real balance. Too much OH and not enough mic and it starts to sound distant.

The other learning is that, when you get a scale from 0 - 127 for these things, the snare always sounds crap under about 90 and the majority of the playing needs to be 100-115 or else you're just not "hitting" the "drum" very hard and so for rock music, you need to pound it a bit or it just sounds "light".

Obvious really, but I've watched a number of YouTube vids by people who claim expertise with these things and it's clear that not many of them actually know shit because they never get into OH/mic balance, selecting a good base sound from your range of drums for particular styles, how hard to "hit" or any of this other shit I've been working away at on my own.

Cheers :like:
In addition to just adjusting the levels between close mics and overheads, the EQ of the overheads also plays a big role in how the snare and kick pop on their own. If you want a tight modern kick sound, you kind of need to get it out of the overhead tracks. Same with the snare. But it's a delicate balance. And then there's compression. Compress the individual tracks? Compress the overheads? Bus all of them to a group and compress the kit as a whole? I don't know, but you better try all of it. Acoustic drums are the most difficult aspect of rock mixes to deal with. Everything messes with everything. You have to find the right balance between everything and everything. Lol.
Rebel Yell
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

And yes, "hit" the fucking drums. Be it VSTi or real drums, light hitters are no good for rock music.

I saw this underage kid cover band recently and I let the drummer kid use my snare because his was straight garbage. When they were done, the kid thanked me and asked me how he did. When I say "kid" I'm saying he was like 19 or 20. Anyway, since I'm Greg I told him he kind of sucked. He had great technique and great chops, technically way better than me, but I couldn't really hear him because he played like a fucking pussy. All of his fancy rudiments and posture did nothing for his fucking power. I play with brushes harder than this dude did with sticks. I mean he didn't even play heel up on the kick. WTF. Pound that shit you fucking pissy vagina. I told him to hit the fucking drums next time. Anyway, that is all. Rock drums sound like ass unless you whack the shit out of them.
Rebel Yell
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

"If I'm gonna loan you a snare, I'd better be at least slightly apprehensive that I'll have to replace the head!"
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

Greg_L wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:50 am And yes, "hit" the fucking drums. Be it VSTi or real drums, light hitters are no good for rock music.

I saw this underage kid cover band recently and I let the drummer kid use my snare because his was straight garbage. When they were done, the kid thanked me and asked me how he did. When I say "kid" I'm saying he was like 19 or 20. Anyway, since I'm Greg I told him he kind of sucked. He had great technique and great chops, technically way better than me, but I couldn't really hear him because he played like a fucking pussy. All of his fancy rudiments and posture did nothing for his fucking power. I play with brushes harder than this dude did with sticks. I mean he didn't even play heel up on the kick. WTF. Pound that shit you fucking pissy vagina. I told him to hit the fucking drums next time. Anyway, that is all. Rock drums sound like ass unless you whack the shit out of them.
I like to hit sort of hard to make drums do noises.