Grim Crash with Reaper

This should be self explanatory.
musicturtle

Re: Grim Crash with Reaper

Post by musicturtle »

Armistice wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:22 pm ray - it's time. Sorry.

Now you're retired on that fabulous public service pension I'm sure you can cover a new PC / Win 10 somehow. Best to do it now while the other one still works and you can move across over time, than wait until nothing works at all and you have no choice. You're running a very modern DAW on a very old, unsupported OS - it's only going to get worse.

Yes, it'll cost you a couple of grand and heap of time but do it now and you'll have a machine that will see out your recording days no problemo.
Have to agree here. Make the change while you can still do a gradual change over. Plus, once you do, you will probably lose your mind when you see the difference in performance.
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Minerman wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:52 pm
Select "Open in FX Offline Recovery Mode", & your project will open with all you plugins offline...
Well, shoot! That's way easier than hacking files!

That said, if you want to get really fancy, with the raw text files, you can write all kinds of scripts to generate and modify Reaper projects!
rayc

Post by rayc »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:43 pm Well, shoot! That's way easier than hacking files!
That said, if you want to get really fancy, with the raw text files...
I love it VHS, love it because I can do it with the actual project.
I'll give it ago this weekend. THANK YOU.
Cheers
rayc
rayc

Post by rayc »

Minerman wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:52 pm Another way to do something similar as VHS is to:
Open a new project in Reaper
Go to "File" at the top left
Open your project, but at the bottom of the pop-up window where you select your project, you'll see 2 options:
Reaper FX recovery mode.PNG...
Hope it helps, lemme know if I can do anything else...
Well, that's simple and simply wonderful.
I'm going to try all three hacks but this looks the best for me if I'm feeling numb.
PhanGu
Cheers
rayc
rayc

Post by rayc »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:59 pm ... copying all the audio out of the folder for that project into a new folder and rebuild the file and just do a do over.
THANKS for you confirmation of my process.
I have taught some coding BUT, like most people, haven't actually deployed it usefully - a bit like high school maths I suppose. I did with the parts that weren't in the earlier version of the project. The bummer is/was that I had a LOT of editing done to comp vocals etc. Nevertheless that's just time rather than actual performance.
Cheers
rayc
rayc

Post by rayc »

[quote=Armistice post_id=44532 time=1529614338 user_id=57]
ray - it's time. Sorry.
Yeah, I know.
However, I'm in that special place of eight weeks or so between the last pay and the 1st super payment so can do little just now.
Cheers
rayc
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

rayc wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:10 pm Well, that's simple and simply wonderful.
I'm going to try all three hacks but this looks the best for me if I'm feeling numb.
PhanGu
Yes Ray, very simple man, & I have to say it has helped me in the last little while when I re-loaded my OS/entire pc, & had a rogue version of a vst...I ended up rolling back one version of that particular plugin, & everything was fine again...

Hope you find the culprit Ray, keep us posted man...
Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, Jackson
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH
TC Electronic, MXR, Yamaha

My music @ Reverbnation :minernuggs:
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:07 pm
Greg_L wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:19 am I'm on Windows 7. 64 bit. No idea what that means for Reaper or plug ins.
Reaper automatically bridges plugins between 32 and 64 bit since something like late v3. As time's gone on, the bridging has gotten more automatic and seamless. (That said, it's still no guarantee.)
ray wrote:now the project version that had that editing won't even open.
That's actually fixable without any re-installing. You can right click > "Open with..." a Reaper project file and pick notepad or wordpad. The whole file is just text, so you can find whatever is breaking things and remove it. (Make a backup first)

Say my LePou amps are crashing again, and I can't even open my project.

reaper1.png

The red-highlights represent a single track. If you know HTML or XML or any such markup languages, it's much like that.

reaper2.png

Red shows the entire FX chain for that track. Green shows all the details for a single effect.

Simply cut-out the offending effect, reload the project, and voila!

reaper3.png

You can also remove media items ("<ITEM") and do all kinds of neat changes to corrupt a project!
Man, I never ever thought of opening a Reaper project in Notepad to have a look.... Now I'm going to have to. See what you've done! :mad3: :lol:
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Armistice wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:48 pm Man, I never ever thought of opening a Reaper project in Notepad to have a look.... Now I'm going to have to. See what you've done! :mad3: :lol:
That's one of my go-tos for so much trouble shooting. "Huh, something's wrong with this file. I wonder if it's a binary or if I can reverse-engineer it to fix it" (It's way harder to do with binaries, but that hasn't stopped me from trying occasionally)