More Muttpups for Gerg!

More bark, more bite, more licks for your tone. Get your custom wound pickups from "Mutt's dog house", our resident hound and luthier extraordinaire...

Moderator: muttley

rayc

Re: More Muttpups for Gerg!

Post by rayc »

muttley wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:44 pm Maybe a new thread when you are ready Ray?
Did do.
Cheers
rayc
muttley

Post by muttley »

Sorry mate, been really hectic busy recently. I will try and sort out a reply soon. Is there any specific outcome you are after? Essentially its all p[ossible but we would need to decide what you want and work back from there..

Wasnt ignoring you just been up to my neck in it recently..
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Alrighty buttholes,....it has arrived!

The UK and the US are advanced at a great many things.....mail not being among those things.

But no matter, it's here and it works!

I'll let Mutt provide all the technical details as he made the dang things.

So now I got me a full set of Mutt-PAF-type humbuckers for my beloved Goldtop, and I must say....it looks like a 57. I've installed a balanced both pickups to the best of my ability with the wife and kids watching a movie in the next room. They'll be gone tomorrow and these pickups will be feeding some roaring Marshalls.

And I gave the good ol "50s wiring" with coil-splits and Orange Drops. I used a standard .022uf cap for the bridge controls, but I dropped it to a .015uf for the neck to help keep it brighter as it rolls off. We'll see how that works....I never really use the neck pickup anyway.
Rebel Yell
rayc

Post by rayc »

Looks great - I hope it sounds as good. I assume it will though.
Cheers
rayc
muttley

Post by muttley »

Tear the fuck out of that pup mate... I've had a bad few weeks. Give me some joy, cos its 2am here and I'm still sober and back from a shit gig....... Hope it works, it certainly looks classic and cool...;)
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

muttley wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:39 pm Tear the fuck out of that pup mate... I've had a bad few weeks. Give me some joy, cos its 2am here and I'm still sober and back from a shit gig....... Hope it works, it certainly looks classic and cool...;)
Yes and yes. It seems to work great in preliminary testing. And they certainly look classic. I haven't blasted it through the amps yet, but that's coming. :shred:
Rebel Yell
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Okay lemme give a quick review after about an hour of jamming through rightly loud as shit Marshalls.....these are my preliminary thoughts....

First off, kudos to Mutt for working through the initial problem with the first bridge pickup and getting me a second one that is perfect.

The neck pickup.
It's about 7.9k AlNiCo2 mag, scatter-wound and all that PAF-like stuff. Nickel baseplate and cover. Potted. Beautifully and perfectly assembled.
It's quite dynamic and articulate and shockingly usable....which has always been my the basis of my dislike for neck pickups. I generally find neck pickups to be muddy and my style has no place for that. But this one sounds very nice even wide open through an overdriving Marshall. Not muddy at all. Thick, yes, but not muddy. Bang a chord and all the notes are there, and to me that's very important. With the volume rolled back it settles down to a nice warm but clear semi-clean, and with it split it sounds spanky and chimy like a neck "single coil" should. I'd say this is just about a perfect neck pickup for me. The 57 Classic that was in it's place was little more than something to fill the hole of the neck cavity. I never even looked at it. But I can see myself getting use out of Mutt's neck pickup. Well done, Mutt.

The bridge...
This is where I live - on the bridge. Or under a bridge. Whatever. AlNiCo2....Mutt spec'd it at 9.1k, but on my meter it measures 8.9k...which is splitting hairs and means nothing. Tenths of ohms is pretty insignificant, and ohm ratings are just a general reference of output anyway. Again, potted, nickel cover and baseplate. The baseline for this pickup was my Burstbucker 3, which I do love in this guitar, but I'm thinking right off the bat that Mutt got it right. The output and snarly bite of the pickup matches my BB3, but with better midrange clarity and a tighter low end....which is absolutely perfect. Chords sound beautiful and leads bark and bite like they should, but it all happens with a vintage kind of openness and clarity that you don't often find with mass produced modern pickups. It sounds to me like an overwound vintage PAF pickup, and that's exactly what I wanted. And rolled back and/or split, it sings and chimes great cleans. The pickup drives my amps awesomely, and it also goes tame with just a twist of the volume knob. Can't ask for anything better than that. I'm not a pedal guy or a channel switcher. So my clean-to-rage is pretty much all in how the pickups and guitar pots interact with the amp. Mutt nailed it. So again, awesome job Mutt and thanks for the good work.

I'll be putting up some tone clips in the tone thread later.
Rebel Yell
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

That’s brilliant. I’ll listen to the tones in the morning. I’m just on buds now.

Your description of the neck pickup is really similar to mine actually, I think mine might be just a touch hotter though. But the way you describe the tone is exactly how I’d describe mine.
muttley

Post by muttley »

JD01 wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:16 pm That’s brilliant. I’ll listen to the tones in the morning. I’m just on buds now.

Your description of the neck pickup is really similar to mine actually, I think mine might be just a touch hotter though. But the way you describe the tone is exactly how I’d describe mine.
Its probably a bit more like bubba's. Yours was hotter and A5. Bubba's had a slightly more biased coil split. Working from memory though.

The output thing is not really a fair measure. As gerg says it's only a small amount and you can get that just going from room temp to summer hot. Its also affected by the rest of the circuit once you wire it in so.... On my notes I record the output of each coil off the winder, then the type of scatter. Then I record it again once the pup is assembled before an after potting and finally when the covers go on. Thats the reading I put on the label on the pup.. There probably is some tone in the detail but I havent put my finger on it yet.

Will listen to the tones on Monday. I'm away this weekend then back Monday then away all next week buying wood...

Glad we finally got it sorted mate. Enjoy.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Greg_L wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:29 pm Alrighty buttholes,....it has arrived!

The UK and the US are advanced at a great many things.....mail not being among those things.

But no matter, it's here and it works!

I'll let Mutt provide all the technical details as he made the dang things.

So now I got me a full set of Mutt-PAF-type humbuckers for my beloved Goldtop, and I must say....it looks like a 57. I've installed a balanced both pickups to the best of my ability with the wife and kids watching a movie in the next room. They'll be gone tomorrow and these pickups will be feeding some roaring Marshalls.
Crap ?? how did i miss this ?? Man that looks frigging deadly man and sounds even more delightful. What a great rig. You two out did yourselves. Truly. I am sort of gassing again for the millionth time for a goldtop and this isn't helping at all.

You guys are deadly! :happytrees: :happytrees: :metal: :chillin :like:
:happytrees:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:26 pm

Crap ?? how did i miss this ?? Man that looks frigging deadly man and sounds even more delightful. What a great rig. You two out did yourselves. Truly. I am sort of gassing again for the millionth time for a goldtop and this isn't helping at all.

You guys are deadly! :happytrees: :happytrees: :metal: :chillin :like:
Do it!
Rebel Yell
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

Hell yeah man! Those look stellar on the goldtop, and I'll mosey over to the tone thread and hear them. Those seem really really close, if not exactly, what I'm looking for in a set of buckers for my LP.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Tadpui wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:58 am Hell yeah man! Those look stellar on the goldtop, and I'll mosey over to the tone thread and hear them. Those seem really really close, if not exactly, what I'm looking for in a set of buckers for my LP.
Thanks man. Do it!

If you want some new pickups, give Mutt a shot.
Rebel Yell
muttley

Post by muttley »

OK I'm back from my travels. Will give the tones a listen over the weekend. Thanks for doing them. Also let me have any others you may do in the future. Always interested in how things are going with them. Hope they are still working out as expected as it took a while to get these ones to you..
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

muttley wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:14 am OK I'm back from my travels. Will give the tones a listen over the weekend. Thanks for doing them. Also let me have any others you may do in the future. Always interested in how things are going with them. Hope they are still working out as expected as it took a while to get these ones to you..
Mutt honestly, these humbuckers are great. I'm still fine tuning the heights and pole pieces, but I've done some keeper tracks with them already and they kick ass. :coolstorybro:
Rebel Yell
einstein magoo

Post by einstein magoo »

Those zebras you had on there may have worked great but they made an otherwise beautiful guitar look crappy to me. Almost criminal. The new pups are delivering the goods both sonically and visually! The tone (color) of this gold top is especially nice. You wont find a better looking instrument! A successful collaboration cross the pond.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

einstein magoo wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:37 pm Those zebras you had on there may have worked great but they made an otherwise beautiful guitar look crappy to me. Almost criminal. The new pups are delivering the goods both sonically and visually! The tone (color) of this gold top is especially nice. You wont find a better looking instrument! A successful collaboration cross the pond.
I grew tired of the zebras too. The BB3 sounds great though so it stayed. I thought about covering them but then maybe they wouldn't sound so great. So I just asked Mutt to make me some that looked like I wanted and sound like I wanted. Win!
Rebel Yell
muttley

Post by muttley »

Greg_L wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:19 pm
muttley wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:14 am OK I'm back from my travels. Will give the tones a listen over the weekend. Thanks for doing them. Also let me have any others you may do in the future. Always interested in how things are going with them. Hope they are still working out as expected as it took a while to get these ones to you..
Mutt honestly, these humbuckers are great. I'm still fine tuning the heights and pole pieces, but I've done some keeper tracks with them already and they kick ass. :coolstorybro:
Thats good man. Look forward to hearing them.. :like:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Mutt you did a great job on these pickups. I love them. And the potting....they don't squeal or howl unless I want them to. Nice job.
Rebel Yell