Small room, horrible sound...can you hear if (minimal) treatment makes it better?

Lloyd Christmas: Wanna hear the most annoying sound in the world?
SweetDan

Small room, horrible sound...can you hear if (minimal) treatment makes it better?

Post by SweetDan »

I'm attempting to determine if -- despite limitations* -- I can record drums that would sound a bit better by adding acoustic treatment in the room.

The kit is centered left/right in room, but pretty close to a wall - about 3' away. Acoustic treatment is a DIY 16"x36"x4" acoustic panel, filled with a single layer of rock wool insulation. I positioned the panel (arranged horizontally - in "landscape mode") roughly at the reflection point between the top of the snare and the overhead. It's temporary -- just sitting on a low bookshelf for now -- so I can move it or build and add more treatment, etc., if it's worthwhile.

Top of snare: ~25" from floor
Center of panel: ~41" from floor
Overhead mic: ~55" from floor

The question is: can you hear a difference in these two recordings? Does the one with acoustic treatment sound better that the one without? As is customary, there's no EQ, compression, nor any other processing on the tracks, just some quick level matching. I recorded with 2 mics (for now I'll leave out which mics so I don't bias any responses), one positioned "overhead", and one pretty close to and pointed at the kick drum.

drums2MicsA.mp3
drums2MicsB.mp3

*Limitations:
- 2 inputs on my current interface
- only 3 mics to choose from - an SM57, a Blue Spark (LDC), and an E/V CO9 (hand-held vocal mic...think SM58)
- the small room (home office) - 10'W x 11'L x 11'H (the high ceiling is nice, I must say)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
awesome youtube comment of the day
Lol it's still less satanic than whatever rituals Katie Perry and Taylor Swift do in their performances. πŸ˜‚
Tadpui

Re: Small room, horrible sound...can you hear if (minimal) treatment makes it better?

Post by Tadpui »

I can't hear an appreciable difference between the two. I even put on my "reverb detectors" (Sennheiser HD380) and if there's a difference, I'm too dim to hear it.

But I have to say that in both clips, it sounds like a real drum kit in a real room. Nothing wrong with that in my opinion. You've already got a leg up on EZDrummer and the like :)

Your room doesn't sound terrible or anything, and I actually kind of appreciate the ambiance. It's certainly not Abbey Road's Studio 1. That sound won't ever fly if you suddenly decide to start drumming in a Scandinavian death metal band, but I really don't hate it for a laid-back kind of drum tone. As you add more strategically-placed treatment and more spot-mics on the kit, you'll have more control over that ambiance. But for now, I'd say embrace it and write around it in your arrangements!
ido1957

Re: Small room, horrible sound...can you hear if (minimal) treatment makes it better?

Post by ido1957 »

Tiny difference in clip #2 - seems closer, tiny bit louder, "thicker" (like more mids or something) but it's really a tiny difference.
People want something for nothing, they want it right now. Either they can't tell quality or don't care but feel it is important that everyone agrees with them.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

I think B sounds a little better. Not much, they're very similar, but B seems a bit punchier.

The hats and cymbals are pretty terrible though. Lol. No offense, but they sound like trash can lids. Some better tins will go a long way.
Rebel Yell
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

I can't hear a difference on my work cans.

+1 on Greg's comment on the hats. They sound rough.

As to tad's comment, yeah those are definitely real drums in a real room. They could work, but it would be within a pretty limited scope of productions.
SweetDan

Post by SweetDan »

Aw man! I wasted* a few hours building that acoustic panel! Y'all are picking "B", which was recorded *without* treatment. :redface: Either the small bit of help it theoretically provides isn't noticeable, or I need 3-4x the square footage of treatment, or my playing wasn't consistent enough, or the sound of the crap cymbals I've got overrode all other concerns.
Greg_L wrote: ↑Wed May 16, 2018 11:11 am ...hats and cymbals are pretty terrible though. Lol. No offense, but they sound like trash can lids...
None taken - they *are* trash. I scavenged the hats and crash off a small beginner kit, and they're probably made of brass. They're small too - 12" hats, 14" crash. The ride is better - a 20" Meinl HCS. As I've mentioned in other threads, I'm not a drummer, so this isn't a high priority for me. I'm more concerned with the adventure of building up a kit from cheap, used bits and pieces I can find on craigslist or ebay, going one piece at a time. But if I could get it to sound good decent in recordings as well, that would be a nice bonus.

*I don't think it was really wasted...I've built 2 bass traps and now the panel used in this experiment, and I'm getting into a nice workflow for how to quickly throw an acoustic panel together. Who knows...I could soon have the whole room covered with roxul! :tongue:
Lol it's still less satanic than whatever rituals Katie Perry and Taylor Swift do in their performances. πŸ˜‚
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Listening on better cans now. B sounds slightly louder overall. Are you sure you matched their volumes?
SweetDan

Post by SweetDan »

vomitHatSteve wrote: ↑Thu May 17, 2018 12:00 pm Are you sure you matched their volumes?
No...I eyeballed (ear-balled?) it...
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Dan,

Greg has posted up a pic of his drum room here:
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=1652&start=80
I'm also working on cheapo room treatment solutions that you could try.
SweetDan

Post by SweetDan »

JD01 wrote: ↑Fri May 18, 2018 11:33 am I'm also working on cheapo room treatment solutions that you could try.
Yeah, I've been following your thread. It's been a great motivation to get to work on my own acoustics issues, so thanks. :like:
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

I think they both sound pretty decent........except those cymbals! I cant hear a difference between the two at all.
SweetDan

Post by SweetDan »

I'm getting some used 13" hats - Paiste 502's; 5-10 business days shipping, so a little wait. Getting a half-decent crash is still in the medium/long-term future.
SweetDan

Post by SweetDan »

Got the new hats. Better? (Yes)
sweetDansNewHats_2mics.mp3
And here's the hats (well, everything) in a quick mix:
untitled_20180602.mp3
I know I started the thread off asking if the additional acoustic treatment made a difference, but I don't have a recording for the drums in that mix where I took the acoustic panel down, so the comparison is "unscientific". It's too late right now to re-record those drums anyway...I'd wake up everybody in the house.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SweetDan

Post by SweetDan »

Here's the room layout; dimensions again are about 10'Wx11'L. With the desk, chair, bookcase/filing cabinet/shelves in there, it's a pretty tight fit to include the drums, and I simply turn around in my computer chair, roll a couple inches, and I'm at the drum set. :)
SweetDan

Post by SweetDan »

Oops...I forgot I had recorded the drums only without the new acoustic panel (compare this recording to sweetDansNewHats_2mics.mp3 two posts up):
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

Definitely better hats man. Cool song too, that sounds fun to drum to. I dont notice too much of a difference between the treeated vs untread, except maybe slightly "drier".
JD01

Post by JD01 »

The new hi hats sound much better than the old ones!
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Yeah, those hats are better. They're probably still the low point of the kit, but they're much improved.