Power goes out while setting up..........fuck

Weekend warriors or full-timers, if you perform live we want to hear about it!
Post your pics or videos, tell us about your gear and how you set it up! (or how that red head jumped up on stage just as your wife walked in) Every gig has a story please share them here.
liv_rong

Power goes out while setting up..........fuck

Post by liv_rong »

We drove an hour North to Kenosha, Wisconsin and played a show for barely anybody. We were supposed to go on first but when we got there what we thought was the headliner was setting up, wtf. They so ended up playing first, for nearly an hour and a a half. Then as we were nearly finished setting up the fucking power went out. Luckily nearly eaveryone hung out at the bar and outside and they kept serving drinks. About 15 minutes before we were ready to call it the power came on and we played. I had a few too many by this point, thinking we were going on at 8 and ended up going on at like 10:45.

One of the bass players friends came and sat at the front of the stage as kind of a joke so the bass player got off stage and sat next to him for a song.

I didnt want to play this show but it ended up being pretty fun after all.

A song:
vomitHatSteve

Re: Power goes out while setting up..........fuck

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Nice.

Rude bands that demand the best time slots and play the longest are the worst, right?
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 1:37 pm Nice.

Rude bands that demand the best time slots and play the longest are the worst, right?
You just described my bands and I make no apologies for it. If I'm getting off the couch, loading my gear, driving to a gig to play a show, I want the best of everything. I'm not playing for 20 minutes at 7:45.
Rebel Yell
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

And that’s totally fine, I get it. But there were two problems here, the first is the person who set the show up gave no direction at all. Second these guys were on the bill as the fucking headliners! I wouldn’t have driven an hour to play if I knew we were going on so late either.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

liv_rong wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 1:57 pm And that’s totally fine, I get it. But there were two problems here, the first is the person who set the show up gave no direction at all. Second these guys were on the bill as the fucking headliners! I wouldn’t have driven an hour to play if I knew we were going on so late either.
Gigs are often a clusterfuck now. Too many bands, shitty "promoters", etc. Unless you can call your own shots, it's almost pointless except for the simple joy of playing music.

In my scene, 10:45 would be considered a good time slot. That's the range we all wanna be in. It's not super early, but it's not so late that everyone has left either.
Rebel Yell
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Greg_L wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 1:51 pm You just described my bands and I make no apologies for it. If I'm getting off the couch, loading my gear, driving to a gig to play a show, I want the best of everything. I'm not playing for 20 minutes at 7:45.
The worst is when the touring band (whose just as obscure as the locals) gets put last. They're the ones who have to sell enough merch for gas to the next city.

Front-load the locals with no draw. Put the band with the best draw last.