Nearly done with another DIY guitar pedal...

Swapping out speakers in cab -OR- putting a hammer though your Line6 Spider? Tell us about it.
SweetDan

Nearly done with another DIY guitar pedal...

Post by SweetDan »

The last one was so much fun, I had to do another. This one is supposed to be in the overdrive family, though it doesn't distort much on its own (at least to my ears), but acts like a boost and will push the preamp harder. Overall, I'd say it's a slightly dirty boost with volume and a variable hi-pass filter for the tone knob.

The circuit of this one is a tweak of a clone of the Emerson "EM Drive". (I really need to buy something from that site - diyguitarpedals.com.au - since I keep using the guy's schematics and I've watched a bunch of his videos...though I'm concerned about the international shipping.) It's a slightly more complex circuit than the fuzz I built a few weeks ago...about double the number of components. Still very basic as far as effect circuits go, but it's been both fun *and* educational (EDIT: not as educational -- nor as useful -- as, say, building an amp :) ).

My plan for the exterior layout and graphics was this:
EmberDriverPedalGraphics_inline.jpg
which I followed pretty closely. Tone/Vol ended up swapped, and I got the tone capacitors swapped in the circuit, so the tone knob works backwards of what you'd expect.

Printing a waterslide decal in a light color for the labels/graphics was a fail, which in hindsight should have been obvious to me - bubble-jet printers don't (typically) have white ink! As of tonight the thing is all wired up into the enclosure, and I noodled around playing a bit tonight, but it has no graphics or labels. I'm going to see about getting them cut out of vinyl sticker material.

Pics (including guts) and tones later.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
awesome youtube comment of the day
Lol it's still less satanic than whatever rituals Katie Perry and Taylor Swift do in their performances. πŸ˜‚
Greg_L

Re: Nearly done with another DIY guitar pedal...

Post by Greg_L »

Cool man. A clean boost is a useful pedal. :coolstorybro:
Rebel Yell
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

Pics!
SweetDan

Post by SweetDan »

liv_rong wrote: ↑Thu May 10, 2018 11:44 pmPics!
I have some pics on my phone, but I want to post them together with some tone clips. I might have time this weekend...
Lol it's still less satanic than whatever rituals Katie Perry and Taylor Swift do in their performances. πŸ˜‚
SweetDan

Post by SweetDan »

Had time. Photos first (it's the pedal on the right; the white one, a fuzz, is what I built a few weeks ago). I still need to get the graphics for the new one printed out in cream-colored vinyl.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SweetDan

Post by SweetDan »

And sound clips.

EDIT: some set-up notes
- the guitar: tele clone, bridge p/u, tone/vol 100% unless otherwise noted
- the amp - http://www.voxshowroom.com/uk/amp/ad30.html - Vox AD30VT
- mic: SM57, on-axis, ~2" from grille, pointed at speaker cone/dustcap seam

EDIT 2: notes on what you're hearing in the first 3 clips (approximate times):
- :00-:20, :45-:55, 1:05-1:15, 1:27-1:37 - pedal off
- :20-:45, :55-1:05, 1:37-end - pedal on
- 1:05-1:27 - pedal boost, but gtr. vol rolled off
- 1:27-end - experimenting w/tone knob on pedal

These first three follow the pattern of "clean => effected", with some variations in exactly how the effect is applied. (I'll come back to this post and add my detailed notes; they're in the DAW, which I don't have open right now.)

emberDrive_black2x12Model.mp3
emberDrive_cleanUk70sModel.mp3
emberDrive_dirtyUk70sModel.mp3
EDIT 3: detailed notes w/pedal and amp settings

black 2x12 model:
- gain=49%, vol=90, treble=65, mid=90, bass=60

uk 70's model:
- dirty: gain=55%, vol=60, treble=60, mid=40, bass=10
- clean: gain=35%, vol=99, treble=55, mid=51, bass=40

pedal:
- "unity": tone ~10:30/11 o'clock, vol ~11/11:30
- big boost / half gtr vol: tone ~10:30/11 o'clock, vol 3:00; then rolled gtr vol off about halfway
- tone knob extremes: tone at "unity", then full treble, then full bass; vol as at "unity"

Here are a couple where I was less methodical in the approach. I especially like the "moderate boost"; gtr. vol was rolled off a bit, the pedal vol was about 3 o'clock, and pedal tone was about 9 o'clock; this was into the "clean UK 70's" amp setting):

emberDrive_cleanUk70s_moderateBoost.mp3
emberDrive_dirtyUk70s_slammed.mp3
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Nice build!

The tones sound pretty decent too. That pedal adds a nice little bit of grunt to the signal. Lotta noise in that last one though!
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Cool, mate. I'd like to hear what that does to a crunch tone if you've got time. I like a clean boost.

Ah, you've posted clips. Will check them out shortly.
rayc

Post by rayc »

Well done - build & review.
Cheers
rayc
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Nice!

Yeah, when you dime it, it is pretty noisy. Nothing that constantly playing won't solve tho! :D
SweetDan

Post by SweetDan »

Thanks everybody.
vomitHatSteve wrote: ↑Mon May 14, 2018 11:39 am Yeah, when you dime it, it is pretty noisy. Nothing that constantly playing won't solve tho! :D
I don't know if the noise is the pedal, or my guitar; I suspect the guitar, since I've put no shielding in the control cavity. That would be a simple mod, but I have to not be lazy first. :)
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Very Cool SD. I really like that as a clean boost may i say. So awesome.

So are these kits? Or did you source the parts / schematics yourself?
:happytrees:
SweetDan

Post by SweetDan »

You could get this one as a kit (http://www.diyguitarpedals.com.au/shop/ ... ucts_id=73), though half the time stuff is Sold Out on that site, and the other half of the time I'm leery of international shipping so I don't bother to purchase anyway. The guy running the store publishes schematics and bills-of-materials, so I just used those references then sourced everything separately. (I don't think his kits come with enclosures, either, so I'd have to do some "shopping" anyway.)

Also, while I started with the published schematic, I experimented with a different transistor than the one listed (experimenting like this is actually encouraged in the documentation), and also added an extra resistor to complement the transistor selected. I didn't like how fuzzy it sounded using the exact values in the schematic/BOM.