double kick pedal

Lloyd Christmas: Wanna hear the most annoying sound in the world?
liv_rong

double kick pedal

Post by liv_rong »

Thinking hard about getting one. I wouldnt use it for the typical metal patterns, but to find other ways to incorporate it into my drumming. Everytime Ive ever played one I suck at it but I think if I had one to play on and got used to it Id be ok. I already use my left foot all the time anyways, why not try it with another beater?
liv_rong

Re: double kick pedal

Post by liv_rong »

Kind of like this I guess. I know this can be done with one kick however this is much easier and also I think I would come up with stuff I wouldnt otherwise have thought of.

Im kind of in a funk with drums and this may bring me out of it. Im always doing the same things, time to move forward.

[BBvideo=560,315]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mfQ270CX5k[/BBvideo]
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

With your drumming skills, I think you'd probably pick up on nice double-kick patterns in about half a day.

I have a Tama Iron Cobra double pedal. It's pretty great as far as I can tell, but I hardly ever double kick anything. Definitely go try some. The feel and rebound of the pedals has work for you and they have to be set up properly.
Rebel Yell
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

Greg_L wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:57 am I have a Tama Iron Cobra double pedal. It's pretty great as far as I can tell, but I hardly ever double kick anything. Definitely go try some. The feel and rebound of the pedals has work for you and they have to be set up properly.
I would definitely start with the Tama.

Pedals are weird to me. When I started out I wanted a ton of tension but now I dont need that. I feel like I set mine up now to have some but a couple people have said that my pedals "have no action" , whatever that means exactly I dont know. But I do know that I play cheap pedals, on my kit I play the cheap Iron Cobra, dont even know the model but its probably around $70 or something. And my old pedal, which is now at the practice spot on that kit, is just a Pearl $100 model.

I use my left foot pretty regularly to keep time when Im not striking the hats with a stick. So I feel like I could get my left foot into it ok, just getting the stroke powerful enough to match my right foot will take additional work I bet.

My right foot has a pretty odd technique that I didnt realize until a few years ago when I started playing again. This is from a couple years ago:

[BBvideo=560,315]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1k3PCllG5kU[/BBvideo]
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

Greg_L wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:57 am With your drumming skills, I think you'd probably pick up on nice double-kick patterns in about half a day.

I have a Tama Iron Cobra double pedal. It's pretty great as far as I can tell, but I hardly ever double kick anything. Definitely go try some. The feel and rebound of the pedals has work for you and they have to be set up properly.
Is yours the 600 series that’s like $250 or do you have the expensive one that’s over $400?
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

liv_rong wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 1:41 pm

Is yours the 600 series that’s like $250 or do you have the expensive one that’s over $400?
Mine's the Powerglide 900.....or something like that. Yeah, Powerglide. I've had them for about 15 years and not one single problem.
Rebel Yell
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

Ahh that’s the rich mans one. I just ordered the mid level one.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

liv_rong wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 11:51 pm Ahh that’s the rich mans one. I just ordered the mid level one.
I think it was like $325 back in the George W Bush era.
Rebel Yell
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

Rich. Lol
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

liv_rong wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 12:20 amRich. Lol
Are they really over 400 now? That's insane. I remember the Axis Longboards were like 700 and thought that was crazy stupid.
Rebel Yell
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

Greg_L wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 12:22 am
liv_rong wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 12:20 amRich. Lol
Are they really over 400 now? That's insane. I remember the Axis Longboards were like 700 and thought that was crazy stupid.
Yup, $430 new. Which really isn’t bad compared to overpriced DW pedals. DW makes great hardware but most of their shit is so overpriced IMO, including their drums, and their pedals are the worst offender.