Let's build an amp! Greg's journey to electrocution

DIY Studio Stuff
JD01

Re: Let's build an amp! Greg's journey to electrocution

Post by JD01 »

Yeah, like a normal foot switchable two channel amp.

Sticking a switchable fender clean and a plexi crunch in one box would be many people's dream amp
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

I like this idea!

You could just use an a/b switch pedal to switch between inputs.

Anyways, not really necessary unless you plan to gig with it.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

liv_rong wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 7:14 pm I like this idea!

Look at you go you little problem solver. :like: :like: :happytrees:
:happytrees:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 6:43 pm Yeah, like a normal foot switchable two channel amp.

Sticking a switchable fender clean and a plexi crunch in one box would be many people's dream amp
Yeah well maybe, but I'm not making it foot switchable. That's too much stuff to do.

This is the winner! Good thinking. Great idea. I do have an A/B/Y box that is sitting on a shelf doing nothing. So simple yet it never even crossed my mind. :facepalm: :coolstorybro:

This qualifies as "foot switchable" and it requires no electrical tom foolery. Thanks liv!
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Greg_L wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 7:32 pm
JD01 wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 6:43 pm Yeah, like a normal foot switchable two channel amp.

Yeah well maybe, but I'm not making it foot switchable. That's too much stuff to do.

This is the winner! Good thinking. Great idea. I do have an A/B/Y box that is sitting on a shelf doing nothing. So simple yet it never even crossed my mind. :facepalm: :coolstorybro:

This qualifies as "foot switchable" and it requires no electrical tom foolery. Thanks liv!
If there were gold stars to hand out [mention]liv_rong[/mention] would be getting four of them.
:happytrees:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 8:05 pm

If there were gold stars to hand out @liv_rong would be getting four of them.
Rebel Yell
rayc

Post by rayc »

Excellent idea to mod the normal, excellent idea to use the A/B switch.
I look at my amps and wonder about unused inputs & unused amps. (I actually gave an old amp to my former place of work. they now have a full drum kit, bass, bass amp, electric guitar and guitar amp, acoustic guitar and an ancient keyboard but no one interested in doing anything with them), - at least with the Marshall they can be "ganged" for another option, (I've wondered about an internal circuit to do that at the flick of a switch but I like the look of the ganging".
I have an old (I bought it 2nd hand in 82) solid state amp that is switchable from guitar to bass that has a dead internal distortion circuit whichI feel should be rejuvenated BUT it sounded awful when it did work. It came with a BIG bass bin - a single 200w @ 4 ohms speaker in an Etone box. It doesn't get much use.
I have an ancient Peavey combo that barely works - I wanted to use the cab & speaker for my Kustom Defender 5H 5watt amp but after hearing the 5 watts through a 4 x 12 the 1 x 10 is not going to happen and it's sounds terrible anyway. I did hook the speaker connectors of my tiny Pignose to the speaker of the Peavey and that sounded good - Pignose tone without the almost obligatory speaker death distortion. I may have to do something more solid that wrapping wire for the future.
I look forward to updates Greg.
Cheers
rayc
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

if I get you to build me one, that's the one I would want
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Lt. Bob wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 12:31 pm

if I get you to build me one, that's the one I would want
Bob, you really wouldn't want an amp made by me... unless you only want it to be a fairly ugly ornament.
Bill L

Post by Bill L »

That sounds awesome!

Regarding the switching, when I was in the band that recently fell apart I was thinking of getting a 4 way foot switch to allow signal to both inputs on 2 different amps as well as getting an effects loop switcher to send a loop to either amp. Since I'm no longer in that band, I don't have to worry about that crap any more. I'm happily using my Princeton with 1 pedal and couldn't be happier.

On another note, my buddy just aquired a Weber JTM 45 kit that he's going to build for me. It's going to be 38 watts, master volume on the back and I'm having him put it in a combo single 12, or perhaps in an old Crate 2x12. I'm really looking forward to it. He just built himself a tweed deluxe that is just an incredible sounding amp.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Bill L wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 1:39 pm That sounds awesome!

Regarding the switching, when I was in the band that recently fell apart I was thinking of getting a 4 way foot switch to allow signal to both inputs on 2 different amps as well as getting an effects loop switcher to send a loop to either amp. Since I'm no longer in that band, I don't have to worry about that crap any more. I'm happily using my Princeton with 1 pedal and couldn't be happier.

On another note, my buddy just aquired a Weber JTM 45 kit that he's going to build for me. It's going to be 38 watts, master volume on the back and I'm having him put it in a combo single 12, or perhaps in an old Crate 2x12. I'm really looking forward to it. He just built himself a tweed deluxe that is just an incredible sounding amp.
Awesome! That should be a good build. :coolstorybro:
Rebel Yell