Crimson Guitars - doing dumb weird shit just cuz they can

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
Greg_L

Crimson Guitars - doing dumb weird shit just cuz they can

Post by Greg_L »

Lol. I love their channel. I watch all of their dumb videos. Very skilled guitar builders. This is insane.

[BBvideo=560,315]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3FUuLkU-mI[/BBvideo]
Rebel Yell
rammer24

Re: Crimson Guitars - doing dumb weird shit just cuz they can

Post by rammer24 »

Wow! I don't know if this is good, bad, or just weird, but I love it. Fucking crazy shit.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

What I like best about the Crimson guys is that their choice of woods has absolutely nothing to do with tone. They know that wood doesn't matter beyond what it looks like. That bald tattoo head guy is a master luthier and I watch all of his videos. Not once has he ever mentioned the "tone of wood". He always chooses woods for the looks.
Rebel Yell
miroslav

Post by miroslav »

Interesting and entertaining...a bit weird...but certainly very innovative and creative for something that's sorta been done to death in pretty much every way possible and often the same old, same old.

The video could have been a bit shorter...cut to the chase instead of all the monkeying around...but he's kinda funny, so it made it OK. :D
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

miroslav wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:30 pm Interesting and entertaining...a bit weird...but certainly very innovative and creative for something that's sorta been done to death in pretty much every way possible and often the same old, same old.

The video could have been a bit shorter...cut to the chase instead of all the monkeying around...but he's kinda funny, so it made it OK. :D
Yeah their videos are like prog - little bits of goodness surrounded by excessive gobs of useless fluff.
Rebel Yell
miroslav

Post by miroslav »

:lollers:
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

Greg_L wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:33 pm little bits of goodness surrounded by excessive gobs of useless fluff.
I see you've met my ex?
miroslav

Post by miroslav »

That's what you get with progressive women.
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

Woman? Oh yeah right.....of course. Woman. What did you think I was talking about?[BBvideo=560,315]https://youtu.be/ZbMa7BpPsNc[/BBvideo]
miroslav

Post by miroslav »

You're one of them Canadians...hard to say.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:06 pm Lol. I love their channel. I watch all of their dumb videos. Very skilled guitar builders. This is insane.
I've seen that one. Such a quirky idea for a guitar. They're workshop is full of crazy ideas - you'd be surprised at some of the shit people commision them to do that doesn't make it on camera. There was one down there with flashing LEDs all through the fretboard that light up when you (in 70s prog mode) play.

If you're ever within an hour or two of Dorchester you should make a detour and visit them. They're nice guys too.

Yeah, they don't put much stock in the whole Tonewood thing, I think they say the type of wood makes small differences based on its weight and density, but they're not Tonewood evangelists or anything. Whenever Ben mentions Tonewood he seems to do it with a bit of a smirk. I think Chris (the Luthier who built my custom) asked if I wanted tone chambers... so maybe he is more of a believer (off camera at least). I wanted it totally un-weight relived anyway
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Well chambering is different. That's a significant physical alteration to the wood that does affect the resonance of the guitar. How that non-electrical phenomenon makes it's way into the totally electrically-dependent pickups is a mystery to me, but it does. But I've always held the belief that if construction is the same between various guitars, the species of wood matters very very little in how they may sound different.
Rebel Yell
rayc

Post by rayc »

Interesting video - I really enjoyed the epiphany about turning the rods into drill bits & then D bits - lateral thinking.
Cheers
rayc
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Bubba... How about this technique for the neck of your new guitar:

https://youtu.be/kwPZ5XPf8ZE
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

LOL, I'm all for uniqueness and experimentation, but that's dreadful! :biggrin:
Haggard Musician :mad: