Beta Website up and out there...

More bark, more bite, more licks for your tone. Get your custom wound pickups from "Mutt's dog house", our resident hound and luthier extraordinaire...

Moderator: muttley

muttley

Beta Website up and out there...

Post by muttley »

OK guys, Ive been sick with the lurgy all week and havent been upto much in the workshop but I have taken some time to start setting out a website for the mutt*pups.

Its still in construction phase one and all the prices and shit are just random input data and there is a lot of stuff that still needs content and changing but the look and feel is getting there. The items that are prolly closest to how I was thinking they should be are the Ripper, the G90 and JD' HoneyBadgerBucker.

There will be more classification and I'm probably going to start a "Rebels Range" for stock stuff but that aont up yet..

Can you guys give me few comments on how it looks and feels. Suggestions, likes dislikes, etc etc.. You can tinker all you like as its hosted on an old domain at present and isnt live for orders yet..

Have at it. but DO NOT ENTER ANY PAYMENT DETAILS EVEN FOR TESTING. I wouldnt want to go there yet. Thats last on the list.

Mutt*Pups Site take #1
JD01

Re: Beta Website up and out there...

Post by JD01 »

The whole design and stuff has a good look and stuff like that.
I'd put the highlights of the pickup spec up more prominently right underneath the pickup name. Just magnet, base and total output, that's often the first thing people want to know. Then I'd go for the description and then the tone clip.

On the home-page when it says "Mutt*Pups" then underneath "More Bark, More Bite, More Licks" This bit looks like its a natural bottom to the page on a smaller screen. (I'm on the 2ndary monitor to my laptop) so people might not notice the range before it.

Instead of the pic you've got for "Handwound..." "Loads of Tone" and "store" You could have pictures of a humbucker a P90 and a single coil" and then clickable links beneath to go to each type of pickup. Might make it more easy for someone to browse the catalogue. You don't have to have a whole different page of each type of pickup. The links could just scroll people to the right section of the catalogue page.

I just think you want to get people into browsing the pickup catalogue as quickly as possible - Like from the SD homepage - one click and you're right into the catalogue.

Its a good looking website though, mate.
muttley

Post by muttley »

:like:

All worthy comments and just the sort of thing I was looking for even though nothing is finalised its good to have a list of to do's... and a list of try thats... Cheers mate.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Yeah - loads of people will have different opinions on what they like when they look at a website to buy stuff. I just want things to be as clear and simple as possible. The SD site is a very easy site to browse and often the first place people go to browse pickups so people will be used to it - cloning the way that they describe pickups wouldn't be a bad idea 'cos the way they do it is probably what most people expect to see! Doesn't mean you can't improve on it.

You main "Competitor" for UK hand wound custom pups would be someone like and his website is terrible. http://www.houseoftonepickups.com/
And you've got to call him for a chat and a quote which just puts some people off.
Bareknuckles site is similar to the SD site, but they don't put the output and magnet right up front like SD do.
muttley

Post by muttley »

I wanna make a feature of you guys as well so I think I want to big up the tone clips a lot. Both cos they are fantastic in their own right but that would also be a USP as no other site I know of does that. They all use same studio highly processed clips. I want to sell what normal guys like us can do with them and use that to inspire people rather than frustrate. The number of people I know that have been frustrated by the oversell by SD and BK is huge... I want to avoid that and let them hear what is possible not what I want them to think its gonna be. I dont do over promise...

As far as competition I just ignore it. There is plenty of space in all markets for this stuff. If a guy wants an SD or a BK he is gonna get that regardless of the reality or the website but I know what you mean... TBH some one like the guy at the Creamery would be more in my market segment.

I'm gonna play with your ideas this evening though and see what happens. Cheers mang...

I need to WJ to tell me where he wants a link back as well and also if you guys could tell me what link back and credit you want it would be good..
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Creamery is a pretty good website. I only mention House of Tone as I know he's the guy that Crimson use.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Oh shit mutt!!! Brilliant. I got a meeting here asap but i will get back to you shortly.

One quick thought here is to have "affiliate links" I see that alot on some of the sitesi visits, weather it is artists, other manufacturers, amp dealers whatever there is always an affiliate pages. I think McNelly pickups has their affiliate page listed as "friends" or "buddies" You could file TRR under there perhaps?

I'll give the page a good going over when i get out.
:happytrees:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

I just googled UK hand wound pickups. For christ's sake don't do what Gemini pickups do and have music start playing as soon as you click on the link.
muttley

Post by muttley »

JD01 wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:49 pm The whole design and stuff has a good look and stuff like that.
I'd put the highlights of the pickup spec up more prominently right underneath the pickup name. Just magnet, base and total output, that's often the first thing people want to know. Then I'd go for the description and then the tone clip.

Like this??

Product description

Once I get one exactly how it should be I can use it as a template for other pups so....
muttley

Post by muttley »

JD01 wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:29 pm I just googled UK hand wound pickups. For christ's sake don't do what Gemini pickups do and have music start playing as soon as you click on the link.
That aint gonna happen. To my mind a good website is one where the user is in the driving seat. No pop ups, no nag screens, no background shit....
muttley

Post by muttley »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:23 pm Oh shit mutt!!! Brilliant. I got a meeting here asap but i will get back to you shortly.

One quick thought here is to have "affiliate links" I see that alot on some of the sitesi visits, weather it is artists, other manufacturers, amp dealers whatever there is always an affiliate pages. I think McNelly pickups has their affiliate page listed as "friends" or "buddies" You could file TRR under there perhaps?

I intend to mate but Im a ways off being there yet. I do want a prominent drive back to RR though... I want to get this place linked to as often as possible.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

muttley wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:33 pm
JD01 wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:49 pm The whole design and stuff has a good look and stuff like that.

Like this??

Product description

Once I get one exactly how it should be I can use it as a template for other pups so....
Yeah - that's pretty much bang on for what I would expect it to look like!
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

muttley wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:36 pm
WhiskeyJack wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:23 pm Oh shit mutt!!! Brilliant. I got a meeting here asap but i will get back to you shortly.

I intend to mate but Im a ways off being there yet. I do want a prominent drive back to RR though... I want to get this place linked to as often as possible.
That would be awesome man. It would also really help with the google machine diverting traffic here too. Feel free to link back to it whenever and whereever you see fit.

that goes for anyone of us who have a page or area that has a place to smear our filthy link too.
:happytrees:
muttley

Post by muttley »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:54 pm

That would be awesome man. It would also really help with the google machine diverting traffic here too. Feel free to link back to it whenever and whereever you see fit.

that goes for anyone of us who have a page or area that has a place to smear our filthy link too.
Do you have a link back logo? The header logo here is a transparent png and I can work with it but it would be easier if you have a gif copy or summink?
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

Looks good to me Mutt...I replied to your question in my strat thread, but I'll have you a bunch of clips by tomorrow, been under the weather over here man...
Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, Jackson
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH
TC Electronic, MXR, Yamaha

My music @ Reverbnation :minernuggs:
jonny deep

Post by jonny deep »

You got a typo in ‘nirvana’. I’d lose the ‘have’ from ‘Most of them have come...’ so it reads more betterer. Otherwise, looks pretty good on my phone.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

On my phone (Samsung Galaxy S7) the dog is in the centre but Mutt*Pups is off to the right with the S partially off the screen.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Wow that's nice mutt.

I just gave it a quick look so far and everything seems easy to navigate and smartly laid out. I'll give it a deeper dive later.
Rebel Yell
muttley

Post by muttley »

jonny deep wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:52 pm You got a typo in ‘nirvana’. I’d lose the ‘have’ from ‘Most of them have come...’ so it reads more betterer. Otherwise, looks pretty good on my phone.
Cheers man, I'm sure there are plenty of typo's but thanks it saves me having the wife lol at me..;)

Keep em coming when you spot them..
muttley

Post by muttley »

JD01 wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:59 pm On my phone (Samsung Galaxy S7) the dog is in the centre but Mutt*Pups is off to the right with the S partially off the screen.
Its spossed to be responsive but I havent checked all browsers and devices yet so thanks for the heads up... :like: