How best to lay this out

DIY Studio Stuff
JD01

Re: How best to lay this out

Post by JD01 »

haha, I think I might take a few videos as I go along and then edit them all together when I move in there and record my first tones.

Will be a few weeks yet 'cos we've got to get the carpet fitter and stuff.

Actually, Tad (and anyone else who's done this), you used to have a really well treated room, what did you use for the door to make it quieter in the test of the house? I was thinking of just putting a layer of foam over the back of the door. Any other bright ideas?
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Corner treatment.

Gonna build some corner traps over the next couple of weekends - 3 questions.
1. Is there some sort of ratio of how wide they need to be in comparison to the length of the room/or width of the back wall of the room?
I was going to make them about 30cm/1'
2. They were going to be in the back corners of the room (one of which will have to be attached the back of a door - oh well). Should I also have a pair in the front corners of the room, in front of me behind my monitors?
3. Its no hassle for me to build a frame out of some lightweight balsawood or something and cover it in fabric - what should I fill them with? Packing foam? Memoryfoam mattress stuff?

Just realised - trying to describe a room to someone like this is fucking pointless.
This is my current layout plan.
Office Layout 2.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by JD01 on Fri May 11, 2018 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 12:09 pm Corner treatment.

Gonna build some corner traps over the next couple of weekends - 3 questions.
1. Is there some sort of ratio of how wide they need to be in comparison to the length of the room/or width of the back wall of the room?
I was going to make them about 30cm/1'
2. They were going to be in the back corners of the room (one of which will have to be attached the back of a door - oh well). Should I also have a pair in the front corners of the room, in front of me behind my monitors?
3. Its no hassle for me to build a frame out of some lightweight balsawood or something and cover it in fabric - what should I fill them with? Packing foam? Memoryfoam mattress stuff?
1) There probably is, but in your tiny closet room, don't worry about it. Just make them thick.
2) Ideally all corners will be trapped, but if you're only going to do do two, I'd say do the two behind you.
3) Rockwool. Order some. If you want actual bass trapping, you can't just stick anything in there.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 12:22 pm 1) There probably is, but in your tiny closet room, don't worry about it. Just make them thick.
2) Ideally all corners will be trapped, but if you're only going to do do two, I'd say do the two behind you.
3) Rockwool. Order some. If you want actual bass trapping, you can't just stick anything in there.
Cheers mate - wouldn't have thought of Rockwool.
I'll make a triangular frame, stuff it with rockwool, cover it in a tidy looking fabric and staple it in place nice and tightly.
You think may traps should go floor to ceiling or do you think I could get away with having them just on the top half of the room?
Obviously they can't go floor to ceiling behind my monitors, but on the side where the door is the door only misses the radiator by about 15cm/6" so I wouldn't be able to stick one below the door handle here easily anyway.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 12:28 pm
Cheers mate - wouldn't have thought of Rockwool.
I'll make a triangular frame, stuff it with rockwool, cover it in a tidy looking fabric and staple it in place nice and tightly.
You think may traps should go floor to ceiling or do you think I could get away with having them just on the top half of the room?
Obviously they can't go floor to ceiling behind my monitors, but on the side where the door is the door only misses the radiator by about 15cm/6" so I wouldn't be able to stick one below the door handle here easily anyway.
Traps really just need to go about halfway - right in the middle. Ideally they'd go floor to ceiling and be really thick in the ceiling/floor corners, but if you cover the middle 50% of the corner you'll be fine.

So if you have say 8ft ceiling, just go 2ft up - 4ft trap - 2ft to ceiling.

Instead of trapping behind the monitors, trapping the ceiling/wall corner right above your listening position might be better.

So trap the corners behind you, trap the ceiling above you, and get your side-to-side first reflection points.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 12:34 pm Traps really just need to go about halfway - right in the middle. Ideally they'd go floor to ceiling and be really thick in the ceiling/floor corners, but if you cover the middle 50% of the corner you'll be fine.

So if you have say 8ft ceiling, just go 2ft up - 4ft trap - 2ft to ceiling.

Instead of trapping behind the monitors, trapping the ceiling/wall corner right above your listening position might be better.

So trap the corners behind you, trap the ceiling above you, and get your side-to-side first reflection points.
Excellent, thanks.

So, just to confirm - you mean something like this?
Office Layout 3.JPG
With the actual size of my room, my 2nd reflection point (is this a thing?) will actually be above my cab and the back of the door, roughly - I'll also go for wibbly foam squares there too.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Not quite. First off, don't worry about your cab. You're close miking with dynamic cardioids, so the room has a very minimal effect on that.

I'm assuming the red things are traps.

The corner traps are fine.

I was talking about a trap above the window, over the desk, cutting across the wall/ceiling corner. Like if you're sitting and look up you'll be looking right at it. Or make a cloud hanging right over you. The first reflection points will be approximately at ear level on the walls to your sides. Think about where the monitor sound will ricochet off the walls and hit your ears. That's your first reflection. Traps or diffusers there would be good. But that room is so small, they might not matter. Focus on corners first.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 1:01 pm Not quite. First off, don't worry about your cab. You're close miking with dynamic cardioids, so the room has a very minimal effect on that.

I'm assuming the red things are traps.

The corner traps are fine.

I was talking about a trap above the window, over the desk, cutting across the wall/ceiling corner. Like if you're sitting and look up you'll be looking right at it. Or make a cloud hanging right over you. The first reflection points will be approximately at ear level on the walls to your sides. Think about where the monitor sound will ricochet off the walls and hit your ears. That's your first reflection. Traps or diffusers there would be good. But that room is so small, they might not matter. Focus on corners first.
Excellent - cheers. That will also be much easier to install, as it will be right above the curtain rail. Yeah - red is what I was using for traps/treatment
For my first reflection points I was going to use things like these:
https://www.gear4music.com/Recording-an ... YcQAvD_BwE

Also, do you think these things would work as a cloud given that its a pretty small space?
https://www.studiospares.com/Studio-Gea ... lsrc=aw.ds
Was thinking I could get one right above me going across the room and one a bit further back also going across the room - there's a light fitting hanging down in the middle of the room.

Won't be getting the carpet fitted for about two weeks so I have a couple of weeks to design, plan and build all this stuff. So when the carpet is fitted I can get all my gear. Aside from wanting to record, I'm looking forward to hearing some music in there that I know well and really thinking about what I'm hearing and stuff.

Cheers for your help with this, mate.
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

For determining first reflection points, Google the mirror trick and that'll get you going.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 2:39 pm
Excellent - cheers. That will also be much easier to install, as it will be right above the curtain rail. Yeah - red is what I was using for traps/treatment
For my first reflection points I was going to use things like these:
https://www.gear4music.com/Recording-an ... YcQAvD_BwE

Also, do you think these things would work as a cloud given that its a pretty small space?
https://www.studiospares.com/Studio-Gea ... lsrc=aw.ds
Was thinking I could get one right above me going across the room and one a bit further back also going across the room - there's a light fitting hanging down in the middle of the room.

Won't be getting the carpet fitted for about two weeks so I have a couple of weeks to design, plan and build all this stuff. So when the carpet is fitted I can get all my gear. Aside from wanting to record, I'm looking forward to hearing some music in there that I know well and really thinking about what I'm hearing and stuff.

Cheers for your help with this, mate.
Both of those products would probably be adequate. They're better than nothing. I'd probably double up the rectangle pieces to make them twice as thick. Try it when you get them.

The pyramid diffuser things will probably be okay, but they might be better with some kind of backing layer, or an air gap off the walls.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Cool. Good shout. I'll probably mount them on a board and hang them so there'll be about a centimetre behind them
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 4:08 pm Cool. Good shout. I'll probably mount them on a board and hang them so there'll be about a centimetre behind them
Mount them on pegboard. The holes may help with diffusion. Maybe. It'll at least be thinner and lighter.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 4:12 pm
JD01 wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 4:08 pm Cool. Good shout. I'll probably mount them on a board and hang them so there'll be about a centimetre behind them
Mount them on pegboard. The holes may help with diffusion. Maybe. It'll at least be thinner and lighter.
Yeah, will be easier to hang too.
rayc

Post by rayc »

Not balsa.
Cheers
rayc
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Custom made monitor stands done... now I can work on putting in my treatment of my 1st reflection points, ceiling clouds, amp shelf and other bits.
20180514_062917.jpg
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Nice. Wow, that really is a closet. That might be a mix-at-low-volume kind of space.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 7:33 am Nice. Wow, that really is a closet. That might be a mix-at-low-volume kind of space.
That's actually a bedroom in UK home... probably a medium bedroom if it was a new-build.

Yeah - its a bit small, but it will actually be a planned space which will be better than the space that I have now.

Looking forward to getting it carpeted. Suppose that happens when you get older, you start looking forward to rooms getting carpeted.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Lol. I hate carpet. It's so gross. I have carpet upstairs and can't wait for the day when we rip it all out.

That room will, at least sonically, probably benefit from carpet though.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 7:45 am Lol. I hate carpet. It's so gross. I have carpet upstairs and can't wait for the day when we rip it all out.

That room will, at least sonically, probably benefit from carpet though.
You gonna get wood flooring throughout?
That room has horrid cheap 90s laminate floor in it - carpet and underlay will probably help prevent sound transmission to downstairs too.

Here's an interesting size comparison of houses in Wales and england, the rest of the EU and the USA.
https://www.housebeautiful.com/uk/lifes ... omparison/
You guys have much more space - but then I suppose you need it to get around the house on your electric mobility scooters.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

These look like they'd be good for my corners - what you reckon?
https://www.thomann.de/gb/auralex_acous ... coal_4.htm