Possibly modding my Epi LP Special II

Swapping out speakers in cab -OR- putting a hammer though your Line6 Spider? Tell us about it.
musicturtle

Possibly modding my Epi LP Special II

Post by musicturtle »

So a while back I asked for advise on budget guitars and after doing a good bit of research and playing some guitars, I have found that I do like the way my current guitar plays, I just wish it was a bit more versatile sound wise and stayed in tune better.

Does anyone have opinions on modding a Special II? I was thinking of replacing the pickup and the tuners. I just don't know if spending 300-400 dollars on a new(to me) guitar will provide me much more of a difference than modding this one, plus it could be quite fun doing the work.

Any thoughts are appreciated.
JD01

Re: Possibly modding my Epi LP Special II

Post by JD01 »

Speak to muttley about tuning stability, he’ll tell you that it’s probably down to the cut of the nut.

If you just want something versatile you should be able to pop a pair of nice coil splittable pickups in there.
muttley

Post by muttley »

Tuning issues are very nearly never down to the tuners and always down to either the nut, or saddle set up and also intonation setup. So unless you dislike the ratio there would be little than cosmetic or feel value in swapping out the tuners.

The pickups in those Epi's have ceramic magnets which frankly are not good. If you want to put a quality pickup in there that would get you a more versatile and better sounding guitar. I can do you a hound wound set at better bang for buck than a decent off the shelf labeled set if you are interested. The guys here who have them will vouch for the quality and build hopefully. Other than that I would find a decent tech who can do you a decent set up and take it from there..
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Regarding the pickups. I'll be first to vouch for the quality of Mutt's Pups. I have a very expensive guitar and I wanted the perfect pickups for it.

Get him to make you a splittable pair, then take the guitar to a tech/luthier with a good reputation to sort the nut and saddles out so it stays in tune and intonates well and get him to fit the pickups and a splitting knob while he's at it.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Don't forget the pots. Their taper and values have a lot of affect on how pickups sound and react to using the tone controls.
Rebel Yell
Bill L

Post by Bill L »

I have an Epi Dot and I changed the pick ups, pots and wiring. It became a whole new guitar. :twocents:
musicturtle

Post by musicturtle »

muttley wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:04 am
The pickups in those Epi's have ceramic magnets which frankly are not good. If you want to put a quality pickup in there that would get you a more versatile and better sounding guitar. I can do you a hound wound set at better bang for buck than a decent off the shelf labeled set if you are interested. The guys here who have them will vouch for the quality and build hopefully. Other than that I would find a decent tech who can do you a decent set up and take it from there..
Thanks, I am definitely considering your brand. I mentioned in another post I usually get a small bonus from the families I work with at school, but it's usually in the form of Guitar Center gift cards so I may go that route. I do want to do the work myself as far as set up and wiring go. It's a fairly cheap guitar and I like DIY projects, hence the interest in home recording.
musicturtle

Post by musicturtle »

Greg_L wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:39 am Don't forget the pots. Their taper and values have a lot of affect on how pickups sound and react to using the tone controls.
Thanks, this is something I forgot to consider as well. I need to take this thing apart and see what I am working with already.

Bill L wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:47 am I have an Epi Dot and I changed the pick ups, pots and wiring. It became a whole new guitar. :twocents:
Yeah I am kind of figuring, why buy another "budget" guitar when I already have one that I like to play. But who knows, I could change my mind tomorrow if I see something that really catches my eye and ears.
muttley

Post by muttley »

Spend your dough on new pots and pickups they are not hard to swap out and the whole process is reversible... Good CTS pots and your choice of pups would be the best bang for buck IMHO. Avoid ceramic magnets and brass base plates if at all possible. Its those that ruin the nuance in most pups unless you like dark muddy tones.... YMMV.
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

Bill L wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:47 am I have an Epi Dot and I changed the pick ups, pots and wiring. It became a whole new guitar. :twocents:
You mean it turned into a Fender Stratocaster?
Haggard Musician :mad:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Bubba wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:56 pm

God that would be awful.
Rebel Yell
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

Greg_L wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:28 pm

God that would be awful.
:hitler:
Haggard Musician :mad:
Bill L

Post by Bill L »

:lollers2:

I know I'm in the minority around these parts but I love my Strats and Teles. And I've been thinking of throwing some MuttPups in the Epi Dot when I get them. I can't wait to get me some MuttPups. :punk: :jam:
muttley

Post by muttley »

Bill L wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:14 pm

I know I'm in the minority around these parts but I love my Strats and Teles. And I've been thinking of throwing some MuttPups in the Epi Dot when I get them. I can't wait to get me some MuttPups. :punk: :jam:
Just waiting on some more covers to arrive. They are done other than that. Hopefully in the post this week...
Bill L

Post by Bill L »

muttley wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:36 am
Bill L wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:14 pm

Just waiting on some more covers to arrive. They are done other than that. Hopefully in the post this week...
You're a God among men. :not worthy: Thanks! You have no idea how much I'm looking forward to hearing these pups.