Spectral Editing In Reaper

This should be self explanatory.
Minerman

Spectral Editing In Reaper

Post by Minerman »

I had no idea this was possible, & a lot of folks probably wouldn't care, but I thought this was pretty neat...In the video, he shows how you can use spectral editing as a de-esser & to smooth out plosives...

[BBvideo=560,315]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSBO_VC9q3E[/BBvideo]

It basically adds the iZotope RX spectral editing capabilities to Reaper...Pretty cool feature included with the $60 price tag, I think the cheapest iZotope products are twice that...
Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, Jackson
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH
TC Electronic, MXR, Yamaha

My music @ Reverbnation :minernuggs:
vomitHatSteve

Re: Spectral Editing In Reaper

Post by vomitHatSteve »

I've seen a post or two about this around. It seems cool, but I have no idea how I'd ever use it.
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

I'll have a look at it for doing what this guy is doing - de-essing and plosive controls- next time I'm editing - see if it's better than my v-cut method.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

What. The. Fuck.
Rebel Yell
rayc

Post by rayc »

Anything that de esses better is cool by me.
Cheers
rayc
Farview

Post by Farview »

It's another one of those tools that you hope to never have to use. But it is a much less intrusive way to get rid of frequency dependent problems than volume riding/editing.
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

I had a look last night and discovered I don't have it - must be a later version. May upgrade at the weekend. I can see that if you could quickly do it it could be useful, but the video over explains it a bit.
rayc

Post by rayc »

Armistice wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:50 pm I had a look last night and discovered I don't have it - must be a later version. May upgrade at the weekend. I can see that if you could quickly do it it could be useful, but the video over explains it a bit.
I watched the vid and became worried about the narrator - he speaks in three word phrases so may have emphysema, may be morbidly obese or may have attended drama school.
I'm inclined to get the new version but won't as the most recent update I did isn't great on XP - two error messages appear & have to be clicked off before it'll load. Theres no resolutionj to the problem as Reaper as, logically, not focusing on legaacy hardware users.
Cheers
rayc
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

rayc wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:25 pm
Armistice wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:50 pm I had a look last night and discovered I don't have it - must be a later version. May upgrade at the weekend. I can see that if you could quickly do it it could be useful, but the video over explains it a bit.
I watched the vid and became worried about the narrator - he speaks in three word phrases so may have emphysema, may be morbidly obese or may have attended drama school.
I'm inclined to get the new version but won't as the most recent update I did isn't great on XP - two error messages appear & have to be clicked off before it'll load. Theres no resolutionj to the problem as Reaper as, logically, not focusing on legaacy hardware users.
Yeah, I noticed that. I think he was doing it that way because he thought it was professional...

Time for a new machine ray!

I have no problems upgrading things, I just don't want to be at the bleeding edge of the experience - let others go down the pathway first, is my motto.
rayc

Post by rayc »

Armistice wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:58 pm Time for a new machine ray!
That would seem the case but I need to run XP to be able to get access to my old Cakewalk projects and some of the VSTs I have aren't "modern" enough for Vista/7/10.
Perhaps I should spend some pre retirement time exporting all of the Cakewalk tracks so I can update. I'll think on it after a nap.
Cheers
rayc
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

rayc wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:32 pm
Armistice wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:58 pm Time for a new machine ray!
That would seem the case but I need to run XP to be able to get access to my old Cakewalk projects and some of the VSTs I have aren't "modern" enough for Vista/7/10.
Perhaps I should spend some pre retirement time exporting all of the Cakewalk tracks so I can update. I'll think on it after a nap.
You definitely should ray! I don't know that I have a use for spectral editing yet as such, but it makes a pretty display when you do the peaks thing, which I do have. Who cares how it sounds, it looks purdy. :lollers:
Farview

Post by Farview »

I remember one spectral editor that would allow you to somehow open a jpg file in it, so you could listen to your picture.

It was years ago, so I can't remember any details
rayc

Post by rayc »

Farview wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:42 am I remember one spectral editor that would allow you to somehow open a jpg file in it, so you could listen to your picture.

It was years ago, so I can't remember any details
That brings in all sorts of opportunities - but then secret coding within images has been in Sci Fi for decades.
Cheers
rayc