Mutt*Pups brass branding iron project.

More bark, more bite, more licks for your tone. Get your custom wound pickups from "Mutt's dog house", our resident hound and luthier extraordinaire...

Moderator: muttley

Bubba

Re: Mutt*Pups brass branding iron project.

Post by Bubba »

muttley wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:02 am
jonny deep wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:55 am

So you're covered up to £50. At least it might cover materials and some of Bubba's time?

It's shitty luck and I'd be kicking up a stink with them.
Yeh, as I mentioned to Bubba, I can be a bit of a dog with a bone on this sort of thing, not because it happened but because of the cavalier way they treat people when it does. I'd be out of business in a week if I was like that... I spoke to my legal guy yesterday who is also a band mate and he recons there is fuck all we can do other than play nice and hope. I guess we put it down to experience. Apparently all undelivered mail or separated items should get passed to a depot in Northern Ireland??? Trying to find out where or who to contact about it is next to impossible.

I hope bubba gets something back for his time and effort...
I suppose, as you say, we'll just have to suck it up. I'll claim for the max they'll cover if it's £50. As it happens I have another identical bit of brass so I'll start work on it as soon as poss. Moral of the story, assume all postal employees are twats, over-engineer any packaging by 500% and make sure the full value is covered.

One good thing - I should be getting really good at this by now. :D I intend to make a better job of the lettering, this time.
Haggard Musician :mad:
muttley

Post by muttley »

Bubba wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:34 am ..........

I suppose, as you say, we'll just have to suck it up. I'll claim for the max they'll cover if it's £50. As it happens I have another identical bit of brass so I'll start work on it as soon as poss. Moral of the story, assume all postal employees are twats, over-engineer any packaging by 500% and make sure the full value is covered.

One good thing - I should be getting really good at this by now. :D I intend to make a better job of the lettering, this time.
I've taken to double wrapping all packages these days and double addressing both packages with compliment slips. Especially as I'm sending a lot of pups to the guys over the pond.. I'm struggling with man flu right now and I was gonna wait to send you yours once I had the brand to label it with. I guess thats aint gonna happen now so I got to walk the dogs and I will drop it in the post lunchtime... :frown:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

muttley wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:02 am
jonny deep wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:55 am

So you're covered up to £50. At least it might cover materials and some of Bubba's time?

It's shitty luck and I'd be kicking up a stink with them.
Yeh, as I mentioned to Bubba, I can be a bit of a dog with a bone on this sort of thing, not because it happened but because of the cavalier way they treat people when it does. I'd be out of business in a week if I was like that... I spoke to my legal guy yesterday who is also a band mate and he recons there is fuck all we can do other than play nice and hope. I guess we put it down to experience. Apparently all undelivered mail or separated items should get passed to a depot in Northern Ireland??? Trying to find out where or who to contact about it is next to impossible.

I hope bubba gets something back for his time and effort...
Mutt, bubba texted me this morning to tell me they'd lost it and I responded that I bet you're the sort of bloke to wear the cunts down until its easier for them to find it for you than it is to keep answering your phone calls, emails and letters.
muttley

Post by muttley »

JD01 wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:53 am .....
Mutt, bubba texted me this morning to tell me they'd lost it and I responded that I bet you're the sort of bloke to wear the cunts down until its easier for them to find it for you than it is to keep answering your phone calls, emails and letters.
Generally I am.. As I said to bubba, It is my default position to waste as much time of theirs as they have of mine.. Having spoken to my legal mate though he recons they wont do fuck all.. I'm still gonna try though..
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

Brand Mk II completed:
Muttpups 2nd attempt.jpg
Now it's been tested I'm just going to do a further bit of detail tweaking then I'm going to call it done.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Awesome! Nice work. Don't lose this one!
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Oh man that is really unfortunate. Hopefully this one makes it to where it needs to go this time.
:happytrees:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

I look forward to my next mutt pup arriving in a branded case.
muttley

Post by muttley »

Looks good man. The next post office worker that mislays this one will get me holding him down while Bubba tatoo's a return address and brand on his ass...
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

muttley wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 5:01 pm Looks good man. The next post office worker that mislays this one will get me holding him down while Bubba tatoo's a return address and brand on his ass...
Cheers, Mutt. I've just sent it Special delivery, next day tracked. Short of putting it directly into your hot little hands I can do no more.
muttley

Post by muttley »

Bubba wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 8:27 am
muttley wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 5:01 pm Looks good man. The next post office worker that mislays this one will get me holding him down while Bubba tatoo's a return address and brand on his ass...
Cheers, Mutt. I've just sent it Special delivery, next day tracked. Short of putting it directly into your hot little hands I can do no more.
Will let you know as soon as it gets here...
muttley

Post by muttley »

Arrived safe and sound... Looks and feels awesome. Report to follow.. :like:

What do you use to heat the thing and roughly how hot do you take it? Ball park?
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

muttley wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 12:01 pm Arrived safe and sound... Looks and feels awesome. Report to follow.. :like:

What do you use to heat the thing and roughly how hot do you take it? Ball park?
At last! :biggrin: I use a gas blowtorch, takes a bit to get to temperature because there's a lot of mass there. I use trial and error but I'm assuming it's around 700oC?

I use your Mantra - test on scrap, make sure the the thing is heated thoroughly and evenly and experiment with the length of time you apply it to the wood. I can get my temp. gun back from work on Monday and tell you accurate figures.
muttley

Post by muttley »

Bubba wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 12:10 pm
muttley wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 12:01 pm Arrived safe and sound... Looks and feels awesome. Report to follow.. :like:

At last! :biggrin: I use a gas blowtorch, takes a bit to get to temperature because there's a lot of mass there. I use trial and error but I'm assuming it's around 700oC?

I use your Mantra - test on scrap, make sure the the thing is heated thoroughly and evenly and experiment with the length of time you apply it to the wood. I can get my temp. gun back from work on Monday and tell you accurate figures.
No worries mate. I will play with it and see where I get. I am assuming it is standard lead free machining brass..? I'm thinking I can heat to a good temp on my bending iron on full wack. That would normally scorch the wood if I dont spritz and protect.
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

muttley wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 12:47 pm No worries mate. I will play with it and see where I get. I am assuming it is standard lead free machining brass..? I'm thinking I can heat to a good temp on my bending iron on full wack. That would normally scorch the wood if I dont spritz and protect.
Yeah, I'm assuming so. It wasn't described as free-machining brass, in any case. I suppose they have to specify lead content?

Anyway, patience is the key - brass conducts well so getting an evenly-distributed temperature isn't too hard. If it starts to get marked with resin I expect turps will be your friend but you can always touch it up with 2000 grit wet and dry on a tile.
muttley

Post by muttley »

Bubba wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 1:07 pm
muttley wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 12:47 pm No worries mate. I will play with it and see where I get. I am assuming it is standard lead free machining brass..? I'm thinking I can heat to a good temp on my bending iron on full wack. That would normally scorch the wood if I dont spritz and protect.
Yeah, I'm assuming so. It wasn't described as free-machining brass, in any case. I suppose they have to specify lead content?

Anyway, patience is the key - brass conducts well so getting an evenly-distributed temperature isn't too hard. If it starts to get marked with resin I expect turps will be your friend but you can always touch it up with 2000 grit wet and dry on a tile.
I have an ultrasonic cleaner from my plating shop days. That should keep it as pristine as anything. I'll try a few dry runs later in the week and post them up. The first guit to get the brand is gonna be the muttpup test bed JNR... If I fuck it up I know a guy who can fix it.;).

Thanks again man..