Mutt*Pups brass branding iron project.

More bark, more bite, more licks for your tone. Get your custom wound pickups from "Mutt's dog house", our resident hound and luthier extraordinaire...

Moderator: muttley

Bubba

Mutt*Pups brass branding iron project.

Post by Bubba »

Muttley mentioned some time ago that it would be cool to have a branding iron to label his pickup boxes and stuff like that. Well, I offered to have a go but the winter's been so cold and horrible the project went onto the back burner, so to speak. We did chat about artwork, though. This is his original logo.
muttpups.jpg
I came up with a couple of ideas:
muttpups - Copy.jpg
muttpups -.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Haggard Musician :mad:
Bubba

Re: Mutt*Pups brass branding iron project.

Post by Bubba »

Then we settled on this:
muttpups -portrait.jpg
Well, I've made a start, today - I freehanded the artwork onto the blank, at least. :smiles:

Hopefully the engraving will be tidier than the artwork! The pen was a bit "floody". The various patches will be milled to as close as I can with the Proxxon, then highlight detail can be added to the black areas with fine punches and a burin of some kind. Then the whole thing will be flatted again. That's the theory, anyway. :biggrin:

The size of the blank is about 60mm x 50mm.
Mutt Pup brand.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
muttley

Post by muttley »

:like: :like: :like:
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

muttley wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:35 pm :like: :like: :like:
I take it you approve? I did some milling tonight and got pretty far with it, but I realised my finest milling bits aren't fine enough. I ordered some 0.8mm end mill bits.
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Nice stuff Bubba - I hope there's a pickup in it for you... :biggrin:

The design has evolved a bit since the early prototypes, and I think, for the better...

Mutt Pup prototype
rayc

Post by rayc »

Simple & effective. Cool.
Cheers
rayc
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

Armistice wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:28 am Nice stuff Bubba - I hope there's a pickup in it for you... :biggrin:

The design has evolved a bit since the early prototypes, and I think, for the better...

Mutt Pup prototype
LOL. You, have the right idea - but I'm massively playing catchup with the favours, here. Mutt has been very generous.
rayc wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:20 am Simple & effective. Cool.
Thanks Ray

This is last night's work. Mutt, I know we said "no border" for this, but it helps to keep the miller from cockling over while working. I'll take off the border at the end.
Mutt Pup brand 2.jpg
Last edited by Bubba on Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

That looks like its artistic, hard and time consuming... three things that would make it impossible for me.

Top work!
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

JD01 wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:38 am That looks like its artistic, hard and time consuming... three things that would make it impossible for me.

Top work!
Ha ha, thanks! Detail work has always been something I've really enjoyed doing. Easily the hardest thing for me these days is seeing the fucking thing. I'm using powerful reading glasses and as much light as I can arrange. The dog's head is literally 1" wide.
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Just so I understand how you're doing this - you have a flat piece of metal, you paint the design on, and then you grind/etch/mill out the metal around the design? Or something like that?
rayc

Post by rayc »

Seeing metal and negative images reminds me of my Dry Point Etching era. My final work after three years majoring in Art at college was a "book of etchings". I had good eyesight before I started. Sadly the Book I made - hand stitched etc. a plate on every 2nd page and a special calligraphy jobbed specially written poem to match each, was stolen whilst in a bag snatched from a car. I assume it ended up by the side of the road somewhere - they were after the cassette player on the bag. I still have most of the plates but they were, as tradition dictates, rendered useless after the final plate was pulled. Photocopies were pinkish and wet in those days so NO COPIES. Luckily I was given a D for the work. Usually D stood for Drunk & Disorderly in my 1978.
Bubba's Brasserie of sorts.
I look forward to seeing the final work and an imprint.
Cheers
rayc
muttley

Post by muttley »

Bubba wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:37 am

This is last night's work. Mutt, I know we said "no border" for this, but it helps to keep the miller from cockling over while working. I'll take off the border at the end.
Mutt Pup brand 2.jpg
Thats OK Bubba, whatever makes it easier for you... I can always grind it off if necessary.. :like:
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

I vote "just keeps the miller from cockling over" as the TRR phrase o' the week. Possibly month as well... :yeabuddy: :mrgreen:
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

Armistice wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:03 am Just so I understand how you're doing this - you have a flat piece of metal, you paint the design on, and then you grind/etch/mill out the metal around the design? Or something like that?
Yes, exactly that.This is my tiny grinding machine. It's being used as a mini router in this picture. The router bit is 1.2mm in diameter but the final detail will be done with a 0.8mm bit. I wish I had better eyes!
Proxxon milling machine.jpg
muttley wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:12 am
Bubba wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:37 am

Mutt Pup brand 2.jpg
Thats OK Bubba, whatever makes it easier for you... I can always grind it off if necessary.. :like:
You may decide to grind the outside to a more manageable size when it's finished. If you have a belt grinder and you don't mind using it for brass!
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

Still waiting for my teeny tiny cutters to arrive, but this is how it looks so far. Sorry about the lens flare!
Mutt Pup brand 3.jpg
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Very cool Bubba! That's nice detail work.
Rebel Yell
rayc

Post by rayc »

Could've coped out & offered a lino cut!
Cheers
rayc
muttley

Post by muttley »

So to get this right, you are freehanding this right? With a milling bit and a Proxxon/dremel/laminate style trimmer? What speed have got that cutter going at and how deep is the cut? One pass?
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

muttley wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:45 am So to get this right, you are freehanding this right? With a milling bit and a Proxxon/dremel/laminate style trimmer? What speed have got that cutter going at and how deep is the cut? One pass?
Yeah, freehanding. I'm not sure what rotational speed I'm using but it will be around 8 - 10,000 rpm. I've done three passes to get it 2mm deep. Each pass I let it get closer to the line because trimming is finer and more controllable when you have a bit of depth to push against.
muttley

Post by muttley »

Bubba wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:53 am
muttley wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:45 am So to get this right, you are freehanding this right? With a milling bit and a Proxxon/dremel/laminate style trimmer? What speed have got that cutter going at and how deep is the cut? One pass?
Yeah, freehanding. I'm not sure what rotational speed I'm using but it will be around 8 - 10,000 rpm. I've done three passes to get it 2mm deep. Each pass I let it get closer to the line because trimming is finer and more controllable when you have a bit of depth to push against.
Like you I have a few projects on the back burner and one of them is a small CNC mill I'm putting together. This sort of thing would be possible with that I imagine, but would take all the fun out of it..;)

Not sure when I will get round to building the cnc though... The more pup stuff I'm doing the more pressing it becomes...