Strat upgrade/resurrection with Mutt Pickups

Swapping out speakers in cab -OR- putting a hammer though your Line6 Spider? Tell us about it.
Minerman

Strat upgrade/resurrection with Mutt Pickups

Post by Minerman »

Ok, finally got the p'ups installed, & have had a day or two to try 'em out...WARNING, LONG-ASS POST!!! :biggrin:

I don't have any "before/after" clips, but here are a few pics:

Before:

After:

I did a hack job on the neck p'up's cut-out, if you look you can see it's not exactly straight/square, but I really don't care, it's about the sound...I need some new knobs, the 2 volume pots say "tone" & the tone knob says "volume"...I also plan on another 3-way switch with a white tip (the switch I have is cheap, & the cap doesn't come off btw)... :smiles:

Here's my review of the new pickups:

The "MuttBucker" Bridge

Humbucking mode:
Raunchy, dirty rock & roll tones that has a very favorable lean toward the early VH tone, Slash's AFD album tone, & Angus Young's earlier tones (all of which are tones I'd kill for, & Angus' early tones in particular, to me, are the benchmark for rock guitar sounds)...It's got the percussive, biting attack that's not harsh at all, & it's there in spades...Up until I got these p'ups, I thought those sounds (or close anyway) were only attainable with a gained-up, plexi-style amp at window rattling volume, which I've been drooling to have again...But to my surprise, I can get in the ballpark with the Strat > Mini Jubilee > ISO cab, & at tv volume room noise level...

It responds well to the volume knob on the guitar too, just roll it back slightly & the sound cleans up very nicely, but doesn't loose it's chunk or definition...

Split Coil mode:
The split coil sound really caught me off guard, & is a very welcome addition to my little arsenal...Ran through a dirty amp, IMO, it's got the Texas blues thing like SRV/Kenny Wayne Shepherd/Jonny Lang/etc...Again, it's the biting, percussive top end that's not harsh at all...I'm sure it can sound Hendrix-y too, I've not gave that a shot yet, but I will...In my humble opinion, it shouldn't be too far off from the SRV-ish tone because Hendrix was his hero...

Another welcome surprise with the MuttBucker's split coil is the old-school country/rockabilly sounds...Instant Bob Wootton (Johnny Cash's guitarist), Pete Anderson (Dwight Yoakam's guitarist), Merle Haggard & Carl Perkins type tones...This is a sound I've tried to get my whole life, especially when I was gigging, but no matter what I tried, I just couldn't get there...With the split coil MuttBucker, it's there, even through a Marshall amp...I can only imagine how it'd be ran through a proper Fender amp like most of these guys used...

The split coil MuttBucker responds very well to the guitar's volume knob too...Roll it back, even a dirty amp cleans up really well & it doesn't lose the "twang"...

I bet you guys are kinda shocked that I like Johnny Cash, Merle Haggard, Dwight Yoakam, etc., because I usually post 80's hair metal-ish tones, but you gotta remember I'm really just a hillbilly country boy...My Dad always told me "You can take the boy from the country, but you can't take the country from the boy"... :biggrin:

The "Ripper Rail" Neck

Humbucking mode:
Where this p'up shines is exactly why I wanted it, full humbucker into a dirty amp, for some mean sounding blues slide guitar, for that, it just kicks ass...It's not flubby in the low end, & seems to have the right amount of "bite" to make it cut...Responds well to the guitar's volume knob, it goes from clean, to mean, to everything in between...While it's not a hot pickup, especially by today's standards (like the cookie-monster metal bands :lollers2:), run it through a juiced-up amp & even though it's in a strat, it's got the Duane Allman/Warren Haynes/Derek Trucks-ish sound, which is exactly what I wanted from it...

Split Coil mode:
Another very welcome surprise is the Ripper Rail's split coil sound...Very old-school & when combined with the split bridge, can get those "quacky/in-between" strat sounds like clean-ish Hendrix/Trower/SRV...On it's own it's great too, enough bottom/chunk to sound fat, with enough high end that cuts, but without being harsh...

And just like the MuttBucker, the Ripper Rail responds really well to the guitar's volume knob, whether it's in split coil mode, or full-blown humbucker mode...

My overall impression is these pickups turned a $300 strat that had been in it's case for about 4 years into a real tone machine...I highly recommend Mutt's P'ups, talk with him to tell him what you're looking for, sound-wise, & I'm positive he'll deliver...
Great pickups... :minernuggs:
Last edited by Minerman on Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, Jackson
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH
TC Electronic, MXR, Yamaha

My music @ Reverbnation :minernuggs:
Armistice

Re: Strat upgrade/resurrection with Mutt Pickups

Post by Armistice »

Jesus - talk about feeling the pressure to buy some of mutt's pickups!

I'll be the only kid on the block without them soon. :eep:

I'm pretty sure if I got some they'd be unfinished and I'd have to do a bit of work with the sandpaper to get them to work properly. :lollers:
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

Armistice wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:21 am Jesus - talk about feeling the pressure to buy some of mutt's pickups!

I'm pretty sure if I got some they'd be unfinished and I'd have to do a bit of work with the sandpaper to get them to work properly. :lollers:
The guys that have his p'ups all say they're superb, & I'm sure they are...I'll find out for myself before too long, but I'm betting they kick ass....
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH

vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Now why would you ruin perfectly good mutts by putting them in a strat? :D
muttley

Post by muttley »

Minerman wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:02 am
Armistice wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:21 am Jesus - talk about feeling the pressure to buy some of mutt's pickups!

The guys that have his p'ups all say they're superb, & I'm sure they are...I'll find out for myself before too long, but I'm betting they kick ass....
I think Armi was having a sly and self deprecating dig at both me and his nations sporting preclusion's....

No sandpaper needed in the manufacture Mutt*Pups... I can of coarse supply with some to go with them Armi, what grit is the nations favorite?... :cool:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:06 pm Now why would you ruin perfectly good mutts by putting them in a strat? :D
:lollers2: :lollers2:
Rebel Yell
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

I updated the original post with my review, & I've already posted these in the Tone Thread, but this thread deserves some attention too, not for me, but for Mutt's P'ups...

All guitars used the same guitar, amp, speaker & mic...I used the rhythm clip for the rhythm guitars, the lead channel for the lead & slide guitars, but didn't change anything other than switching channels...Matter of fact, I used the footswitch to make sure I didn't turn the push/pull knob on the amp that switches channels at all...

There is some reverb on all the guitars in the mix clip, but no other fx were used...The individual guitar clips are completely dry...

Rhythm Guitars: Bridge p'up, coil split
Slide Guitar: Neck p'up, humbucker
Lead Guitar: Bridge p'up, humbucker

strat> Mini Jube > Greenback > 57
  • 5w mode
    Presence: 0
    Bass: 6
    Mid: 6.5
    Treble: 5
    Output Master: 5
    Lead Master: 8
    Input Gain: 7
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH

muttley

Post by muttley »

Hey miner, I'm working on the launch of the new muttpup website.. I dont spose you can let me have these tones to download as samples? Also when I do what credit would you like added and what link back? More than happy to provide credit where its deserved..
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

muttley wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:27 am Hey miner, I'm working on the launch of the new muttpup website.. I dont spose you can let me have these tones to download as samples? Also when I do what credit would you like added and what link back? More than happy to provide credit where its deserved..
Hey Mutt,
Sorry I've been AWOL again, under the weather over here man, been feelin' like pure :shit: ...

I do have a couple tones, but gimme another day & I'll send you a bunch dude...
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH

muttley

Post by muttley »

Minerman wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:25 pm
muttley wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:27 am Hey miner, I'm working on the launch of the new muttpup website.. I dont spose you can let me have these tones to download as samples? Also when I do what credit would you like added and what link back? More than happy to provide credit where its deserved..
Hey Mutt,
Sorry I've been AWOL again, under the weather over here man, been feelin' like pure :shit: ...

I do have a couple tones, but gimme another day & I'll send you a bunch dude...
No problem mate, I have the lurgy too thats why I'm working on the website. I cant face the workshop..;)

Hope you feel better soon.