Carvin Legacy Refurb "It's Alive!"

Swapping out speakers in cab -OR- putting a hammer though your Line6 Spider? Tell us about it.
ocnor

Carvin Legacy Refurb "It's Alive!"

Post by ocnor »

I got this amp off ebay several years ago. It was pretty thrashed internally but cosmetically almost mint.
My son and I worked on this sucker off and on for months. It was very perplexing at times and I used to joke that this amp should be called a "PerPlexi".
Well it purrs like a kitten now thanks mainly to my son's diagnostic skills.
This is what was fixed:
replaced the power transformer, fuse, filter caps, various other caps and resistors, retubed and biased.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Another toy that helped destroy the elder race of man..forget about your silly whim it doesn't fit the plan.
ocnor

Re: Carvin Legacy Refurb "It's Alive!"

Post by ocnor »

Here are a couple more pics.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Another toy that helped destroy the elder race of man..forget about your silly whim it doesn't fit the plan.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Cool, was it completely shot when you got it or did it still work a bit?
I don’t really know anything about Carvin amps. What so they sound like?
rayc

Post by rayc »

I love the lived in look of the Cab. I assume as the Carvin was cosmetically sweet but trashed that the cab is perfect inside.
Cheers
rayc
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Nice work for sure, but that cab is the real star here!
Rebel Yell
ocnor

Post by ocnor »

Greg_L wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:34 am Nice work for sure, but that cab is the real star here!
Yep! That cab makes any amp sound good. I bought it used back in the 80s. It's a model 1982 with small checker grillcloth. I believe it was made in 1978 according to the date codes on the G12H30 55Hz speakers.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

ocnor wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:57 am

Yep! That cab makes any amp sound good. I bought it used back in the 80s. It's a model 1982 with small checker grillcloth. I believe it was made in 1978 according to the date codes on the G12H30 55Hz speakers.
Goddamn that's sick dude. Those late 70s cabs are the shit.
Rebel Yell
ocnor

Post by ocnor »

JD01 wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:18 am Cool, was it completely shot when you got it or did it still work a bit?
The amp would not even power on when I got it. It's hard to describe the sound of the amps. The dirt channel has sort of a Marshally tone only thicker and not quite as bitey in the high end. The clean channel is similar to a Fender type of tone. I'm not sure how Steve Vai gets these amps to sound so terrible. It must be all of the extra crap that he plugs in. If I get the chance I'll make some clips and post them in the tone thread.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

ocnor wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:16 am
JD01 wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:18 am Cool, was it completely shot when you got it or did it still work a bit?
The amp would not even power on when I got it. It's hard to describe the sound of the amps. The dirt channel has sort of a Marshally tone only thicker and not quite as bitey in the high end. The clean channel is similar to a Fender type of tone. I'm not sure how Steve Vai gets these amps to sound so terrible. It must be all of the extra crap that he plugs in. If I get the chance I'll make some clips and post them in the tone thread.
Cool that would be great - very curious to hear how one sounds when it doesn't have loads of other bollocks in front of it.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

ocnor wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:16 am It must be all of the extra crap that he plugs in.
Yes, that.
Rebel Yell