liv_rong's idea/tone thread

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
liv_rong

Re: liv_rong's idea/tone thread

Post by liv_rong »

Lt. Bob wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:45 pm picking purists?
I was just joking around lol. Jdude has mentioned my picking technique and others have mentioned this finger technique being weird too.
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

I wish my brain could connect to my fingers like that.
:happytrees:
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:07 pm I wish my brain could connect to my fingers like that.
Ha! I can only move them to places I already know how to. And those aren’t many lol
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

liv_rong wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:09 pm
Lt. Bob wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:45 pm picking purists?
I was just joking around lol. Jdude has mentioned my picking technique and others have mentioned this finger technique being weird too.
Looks like Stevie T missed you this time around.

[BBvideo=560,315]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRfFaZWgaFM[/BBvideo]
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:05 pm
liv_rong wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:09 pm

Looks like Stevie T missed you this time around.

[BBvideo=560,315]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRfFaZWgaFM[/BBvideo]
Ha, interesting topic! I skimmed it, pretty cool seeing close up how they do it. I felt like the dude was yelling at me though from the get go, someone should tell him to calm down a little lol.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Lol. Stevie T is alright. He's a complete prat and he's just messing about but he's an amazing guitarist!
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

liv_rong wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:55 pm Also I started messing around with this old little riff(is it a riff?) from almost a year ago. I had the main part then and the turn around but just came up with another part. Now I'm going to turn this into a full song.

So last night I tracked the guitars and tried to come up with a bass line. Any thoughts? Not looking for mix comments on this, just composition stuff and I guess if it even works. I like it structure wise. May spread out the bridge part a bit longer.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

liv_rong wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 3:30 pm
liv_rong wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:55 pm Also I started messing around with this old little riff(is it a riff?) from almost a year ago. I had the main part then and the turn around but just came up with another part. Now I'm going to turn this into a full song.

So last night I tracked the guitars and tried to come up with a bass line. Any thoughts? Not looking for mix comments on this, just composition stuff and I guess if it even works. I like it structure wise. May spread out the bridge part a bit longer.
Nothing wrong with what you have going on there man. nothing at all. it flows and is welded together pretty seamlessly.
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 5:02 pm

Nothing wrong with what you have going on there man. nothing at all. it flows and is welded together pretty seamlessly.
Thanks for listening :punk: Let me rephrase, is it enjoyable? :chillin
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

liv_rong wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:51 pm
WhiskeyJack wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 5:02 pm

Thanks for listening :punk: Let me rephrase, is it enjoyable? :chillin
yea man. I haven't met a song of yours i do not like. :like: :like: :happytrees:
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:59 pm

yea man. I haven't met a song of yours i do not like. :like: :like: :happytrees:
Fuck yeah, thanks man!
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

A little loop jam with drums. Recorded live in the room. The guitar has the new Mosky Golden Horse pedal from China playing on it. Just kind of jammed a few ideas on the drums over it. Before doing this I filmed a little guitar lead line over it that Ill post later(edited post to add video now)

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Ha pretty good drumming. Got a little Bonham foot shuffle going on there near the end. Very tricky.

I know this is about your weird loops and pedals, but your drum recording has seemingly gotten much better recently. The kick is a little bouncy weird, but overall the rest of the kit sounds great.
Rebel Yell
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

Greg_L wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:53 am Ha pretty good drumming. Got a little Bonham foot shuffle going on there near the end. Very tricky.

I know this is about your weird loops and pedals, but your drum recording has seemingly gotten much better recently. The kick is a little bouncy weird, but overall the rest of the kit sounds great.
Thanks man, appreciate it! I don’t know what happened, I guess I’ve finally gotten mixing figured out sort of. And luck!
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Just had a chance to listen to this at home on monitors. I think your drums do sound good now, Liv. I quite like the sound of your kick too.
I really like the sound of your HiHat though in that jam.

Regarding recording getting better over time... one of the reasons I think its quite hard to quantify I think is that a lot of is isn't down to mic, placement, what gear your use and stuff like that. I think its down to listening and learning what actually sounds good recorded... I know I'm not doing much different to what I was two years ago. I'm using similar mics in similar positions - I've just learned to listen in a different way. 1 learning what I'm actually hearing as just a guitar sound (not thinking of it as a whole mix), and 2. learning what will actually work in mix context.
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

JD01 wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:27 am Just had a chance to listen to this at home on monitors. I think your drums do sound good now, Liv. I quite like the sound of your kick too.
I really like the sound of your HiHat though in that jam.

Regarding recording getting better over time... one of the reasons I think its quite hard to quantify I think is that a lot of is isn't down to mic, placement, what gear your use and stuff like that. I think its down to listening and learning what actually sounds good recorded... I know I'm not doing much different to what I was two years ago. I'm using similar mics in similar positions - I've just learned to listen in a different way. 1 learning what I'm actually hearing as just a guitar sound (not thinking of it as a whole mix), and 2. learning what will actually work in mix context.
Thanks! And I totally agree. I’ve had my kit mic’d this way for almost a year. I’m just mixing differently and I concur, listening.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

liv_rong wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:17 pm
Pffft.

i know EzDrummer when i hear it.

Kidding buddy. Seriously thou Liv this is rad. And your drums have really cleaned up. Your snare is pretty nice. i am listening on ears buds at work where things are typically not as clear and defined as i would like them to be but i can hear each piece of that kit wonderfully and nothing is competeting with something else. Good stuff.
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:11 pm
liv_rong wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:17 pm
Pffft.

i know EzDrummer when i hear it.

Kidding buddy. Seriously thou Liv this is rad. And your drums have really cleaned up. Your snare is pretty nice. i am listening on ears buds at work where things are typically not as clear and defined as i would like them to be but i can hear each piece of that kit wonderfully and nothing is competeting with something else. Good stuff.

:illdrinktothat: