Pulled Out An Old Mic.

What type and size you need, and where you should point it. Does a large diaphragm do a better job in preventing pregnancy than a small? WTF is phantom power and why do you need it? All these important questions and more, discussed within. Entendre at your own risk.
rayc

Pulled Out An Old Mic.

Post by rayc »

I needed to add some 12 string and 6 string acoustic tracks to an old song I'm reworking. I've had VERY limited success with my LDC mics as well as dynamics when recording acoustics so decided to experiment with some old mics I've not used for some time.
I ended using my Naiant MSH-4: it's a small condensor mic built inside an extended, balanced XLR plug. The bloke who made them made a series of similar mics but this was slightly different in that it has a built in micro-tube.
The series of mics MSH-1 to MSH-4 are now superseded.
I quite like this one...
DSC02578.JPG
DSC02579.JPG
DSC02580.JPG
This is the original with a smaller diaphragm...
DSC02581.JPG
DSC02582.JPG
Clips to follow.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cheers
rayc
rayc

Re: Pulled Out An Old Mic.

Post by rayc »

Here's a sound sample of the micro-tube microphone.
12 string Fender Acoustic on the left and 6 string 333 acoustic on the right.
The 1st half is as recorded with no processing & then the same section again with some EQing etc so that it sits in the overall mix (cellos, bass, vocals etc).
You may need to turn it up as I've not rendered the section particularly loudly and there's nothing on the stereo bus.
MHS-4 gtrsNOFXtyhenFX.mp3
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cheers
rayc
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Man I remember those mics! mshilarious was the guy that made them. I wonder what happened to him?

That clip sounds very nice. Nice job.
Rebel Yell
rayc

Post by rayc »

Greg_L wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:13 am Man I remember those mics! mshilarious was the guy that made them. I wonder what happened to him?
That clip sounds very nice. Nice job.
He's still running his little studio and making, to order, mics and related gear.
His "in-line" devices are cool.
He's a bit of a god squad dude - his main preoccupation I think.
He's Here
Cheers
rayc
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Ray that is pretty awesome? Someone you know made those littlebuggers? That is aweosme. I am checking the website out now.
:happytrees:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:41 am Ray that is pretty awesome? Someone you know made those littlebuggers? That is aweosme. I am checking the website out now.
He used to be a regular at the other place. Then he became a mod. Then he nuked himself.
Rebel Yell
rayc

Post by rayc »

Greg_L wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:46 pm He used to be a regular at the other place. Then he became a mod. Then he nuked himself.
As seems to be tradition at HR.
Mod Rot.
Cheers
rayc