Head On - The Jesus & Gregory Chain

Your Mom loves your mixes, but are they really up to scratch? Post your tracks here and get the community's feedback to help with the spit and polish. Impress us! We don't bite.
Greg_L

Re: Head On - The Jesus & Gregory Chain

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:25 am Sounds great, Greg. I'll download this as a keeper!

What have you done with the vocal on that? They sound really good.

The only criticism I have is after the phasing flangers bit there's quite a piercing feedback in my right ear that fades out then comes back in. I like a bit of feedback, the feedback on the left side after the next chorus sounds better and fades out quicker.
Thanks J. The vocal mix is pretty basic. I double tracked all the loud singing parts and compressed the shit out of the whole vocal group. I don't know if the compressor I use has some kind of built in analog distortion emulation, but it seems like it might because to me my vocals sound good crushed to death with this one compressor. It really thickens and "warms" them up, so I like it. After that it's some time-sync 1/4 note slap-back delay and it goes to the same reverb as everything else.

The feedback...it just is what it is. I left everything just as it came.
Rebel Yell
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

Great stuff. Like everyone else I'm used to the "swimming in reverb" version, but this kicks arse. Great choice of cover as well - pretty left-field and under-represented as covers go.

The clarity and separation is enviable and your singing suits this version well. 8-)
Haggard Musician :mad:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Bubba wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:05 am Great stuff. Like everyone else I'm used to the "swimming in reverb" version, but this kicks arse. Great choice of cover as well - pretty left-field and under-represented as covers go.

The clarity and separation is enviable and your singing suits this version well. 8-)
Thanks Bubba. The only famous cover of this song that I'm aware of is from the Pixies. They did a great job, as they do with everything, but I tried to do mine more like the original arrangement.

Really though this was just a vehicle to track some quick stuff with my newly fixed LP Custom. All the loud and quiet parts of this song wouldn't have been possible with that guitar before. Now with it fixed, I tracked this entire song with that one guitar and some of it's new features.
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

well, everything sounds gregish so it's his usual excellent recording.

And yes, he's a bad ass drumber.

Everyone's given good comments so i won't rehash anything but no one mentioned:
Holy Crap that's an awesome bass sound!!!!

Man ..... wouldn't be out of place in a Yes song ...... that piano-bass string sound ..... I freakin' LOVE the bass sound!

:)

Really!
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Lt. Bob wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:55 am well, everything sounds gregish so it's his usual excellent recording.

And yes, he's a bad ass drumber.

Everyone's given good comments so i won't rehash anything but no one mentioned:
Holy Crap that's an awesome bass sound!!!!

Man ..... wouldn't be out of place in a Yes song ...... that piano-bass string sound ..... I freakin' LOVE the bass sound!

:)

Really!
Ha thanks Boob! Yeah I love a boingy bass tone. I try for that kind of sound pretty much always.
Rebel Yell
ido1957

Post by ido1957 »

Flangers are great - that was my first and last Boss pedal (I have a pedal board now).
Yours adds a cool different sound to the song, and variety is the spice.
No nits - all sounds excellent :)

Haven't heard the original but who needs to - this one is great !
People want something for nothing, they want it right now. Either they can't tell quality or don't care but feel it is important that everyone agrees with them.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

ido1957 wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:27 am Flangers are great - that was my first and last Boss pedal (I have a pedal board now).
Yours adds a cool different sound to the song, and variety is the spice.
No nits - all sounds excellent :)

Haven't heard the original but who needs to - this one is great !
Thanks dude! happytrees
Rebel Yell
paulman

Post by paulman »

I love this song! I've only heard the original once, and to me it doesn't hold a candle to The Pixies' cover of it. Used to be my ringtone. This is great, Greg. The only thing I can pick on is at :48 when it goes back into the verse, the bass gets weird for a few seconds. Like, it's too much all of a sudden. It would be less weird if it happened on the downbeat of the verse, but I think it was on beat two or something.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Hello High School dances.

Great job man. I think you killed this cover and made it your own. I much prefer your version to the original. But i like everything loud and crashy so whutever. To heck with those other knobs.

If i have any observations it would be this. I am not really hearing a union of your bass guitar and your guitars? Did you do that intentionally to keep your guitars kind of in their own zone? And if so how the fuck did you do it? typically i like to have just a little bit of marriage of the guits and bass mainly because i can never achieve total separation. but it find it just fills stuff out a bit better too.
:happytrees:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

paulman wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:19 pm I love this song! I've only heard the original once, and to me it doesn't hold a candle to The Pixies' cover of it. Used to be my ringtone. This is great, Greg. The only thing I can pick on is at :48 when it goes back into the verse, the bass gets weird for a few seconds. Like, it's too much all of a sudden. It would be less weird if it happened on the downbeat of the verse, but I think it was on beat two or something.
Thanks dude. The Pixies version is bad ass. I tried to do mine with some of the energy of the Pixies version but closer to the original's arrangement.

Sorry, I'm not hearing any bass timing weirdness anywhere.

WhiskeyJack wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:05 pm Hello High School dances.

Great job man. I think you killed this cover and made it your own. I much prefer your version to the original. But i like everything loud and crashy so whutever. To heck with those other knobs.

If i have any observations it would be this. I am not really hearing a union of your bass guitar and your guitars? Did you do that intentionally to keep your guitars kind of in their own zone? And if so how the fuck did you do it? typically i like to have just a little bit of marriage of the guits and bass mainly because i can never achieve total separation. but it find it just fills stuff out a bit better too.
Ha high school dances. Finger banging shy girls under the bleachers. :happytrees:

Thanks man. I didn't do anything deliberate to separate the bass from the guitars, but I sure don't mind it. I don't usually want them to mash together into one blob of sound. Not usually. I did try to lock the bass, drums, and the muted guitar that runs throughout all together tightly. That's really the core of this mix. The loud guitars that come in and out are their own animal.
Rebel Yell