New Mic Day

What type and size you need, and where you should point it. Does a large diaphragm do a better job in preventing pregnancy than a small? WTF is phantom power and why do you need it? All these important questions and more, discussed within. Entendre at your own risk.
Greg_L

Re: New Mic Day

Post by Greg_L »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:29 pm Ok cool. I just spent three hours driving around town trying to find freaking small guage wire and it is literally a unicorn. All was not lost, i found a little hole in the wall electronics repair place i had no idea even existed and that guy was a pretty decent dude. He gave a few lengths of small guage wire he had laying around and all kind of free advice. First thing he suggested i didn't even consider. Like testing for continuity on the capsule and the voice filter on their own before wasting time and energy even converting it to XLR. :facepalm2: :lollers: I was like "yea but i want to know if it will work" he just looked at me and responded kindly 'i can see you are new to this but just trust me and check the continuity first or else you are wasting time'. Luckily i had some photos on my phone of the thing taken apart and he showed me where to check for stuff and confirmed a few other things.

First thing i did when i got home was just that. Interesting results. So the continuity check worked on both the capsule and voice filter. However:

- i don't know if it is my 20 dollar multi-meter but it took a little bit for the continuity alarm to chime. But when it did it was pretty present and each successive try after that the response of the chime got a little quicker.

- each test on both the voice filter and the capsule made audible crackles and static in the top of the capsule. almost like a speaker? I suspect that could possible a bad thing? But also maybe not? If it makes noise out it must take noise in? I mean that's a thing right ?

In any case based on those two thing i am still going to wire it up here sometime in the next day or so once i find a respectable new soldering iron. My dad said he is going to pack up his Unger and send it out to me but knowing him that could be weeks. I only have so much time off the next little while so.
A mic capsule is basically just a speaker in reverse so don't worry about it.

Man, just go for it and see what happens. Like I said, just make sure you got the ground wire right and you're in business.
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Thats the plan. I picked up a cheapie 25 watt weller on sale. That should do the trick. Will follow up soon.
:happytrees:
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Preliminary tests say it's working. I sort of bullshit my way through some crude connections before wasting time making nice connections and tested on my little blackstar practice amp and by god it fucking worked. No hum. Just the sound of my sweet sweet voice. I just need to do a little bit of clean up and make it sturdy enough to shove back into a make shift housing and away we go. I am pretty fucking stoked to say the least boys. :happytrees: :happytrees: :coolstorybro: This feels really good.

The whole "vintage look" vibe has gone out the window entirely but i really don't care, it's going ot be pretty badass to have that old ass mic in my signal chain. Provided my work holds up and i can find a nice spot to stick it on the cab.

If all goes well i am going to use it on some guitar tracks for Rec Chal#2. WOO!

Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Fuck yeah! Isn't it awesome when you try something a little sketchy but it works? I love it. Well done. :coolstorybro:
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Greg_L wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:16 am Fuck yeah! Isn't it awesome when you try something a little sketchy but it works? I love it. Well done. :coolstorybro:
:lollers:

I walked around my house last night feeling like i just invented a cure for cancer man. Over the moon. Just out finishing up my honey-do list for the day and then i am going hone and getting some tracking done
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Greg_L wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:16 am Fuck yeah! Isn't it awesome when you try something a little sketchy but it works? I love it. Well done. :coolstorybro:

I walked around my house last night feeling like i just invented a cure for cancer man. Over the moon. Just out finishing up my honey-do list for the day and then i am going hone and getting some tracking done
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:22 pm

Yeah dude. I've fixed a billion things in my life and the feeling of victory over a machine never gets old. You might be ready to do some pedals or a preamp or something. And then.....an amp!
Rebel Yell
muttley

Post by muttley »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:22 pm

lol.. I had that exact same thing going on years ago first time I wound a pickup. I was like, "fuck me it works". Just a couple thousand turns on a wooden bobbin with a blade pole piece and a single magnet... Of course it worked but still... fuck me it worked... :punk:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Well done, mate.
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

Man, that is awesome! Im afraid of electricals and wires lol.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

liv_rong wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:52 pm Man, that is awesome! Im afraid of electricals and wires lol.
I am too. Like plumbing is cool, worst case you get some pee and poo on you. electrical stuff kills and fries stuff i can't technically afford to replace. Luckily the guy who recently repaired my old record player assured me that i am not going ot blow anything up by trying to rewire a microphone.

There is some tones in the tone thread of it liv. I am REALLY quite happy with this mic. Best shot in the dark i think i ever took. :like:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:39 pm

I am too. Like plumbing is cool, worst case you get some pee and poo on you.
Honestly I'd rather get electrocuted.
Rebel Yell