I hate buying drum sticks

Lloyd Christmas: Wanna hear the most annoying sound in the world?
liv_rong

I hate buying drum sticks

Post by liv_rong »

They break and cost a lot to replace. Cheap ones feel cheap and are lighter and break even more easily. A set of NYXL’s last wayyyy longer a pair of sticks. End rant.
Greg_L

Re: I hate buying drum sticks

Post by Greg_L »

I buy the cheap "Sound Percussion" sticks from GC. I go through them and find two that are straight and don't have grain discoloration and they last just fine. Often I'll "match" my own pairs just by rifling through the stack. I usually get several band practices out of one set of sticks.
Rebel Yell
Farview

Post by Farview »

I used to do the same thing once my Vader endorsement lapsed. If you aren't spending $8 a pair, it doesn't hurt so much when they break.

You may want to try a different size if you are breaking them a lot.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

I fixed that issue 25 years ago by choosing to play bass.
:happytrees:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:54 pm I fixed that issue 25 years ago by choosing to play bass.
I used to know a girl that played bass and she constantly complained about the price of bass strings. Because you know, that $15 set of bass strings you have to buy once every 4 years really starts to add up.
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Hahaha. Bass players. Lol.
:happytrees:
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

Yeah Ive tried larger sticks but I dont like the largeness in my hands. Plus like I said the ceaper sticks are lighter. I can play fine with the cheap ones but I like what I like. I jsut use ProMark 5a's with a nylon tip. They last a few practices/shows no problem, I still hate buying them!
Farview

Post by Farview »

Have you tried a 5b? They tend to be thicker behind the tip and don't break as easy. Yes, they are 3/100 of an inch bigger in diameter...

You can use them for practice and switch to the 5a when it counts. You will probably be faster when you switch back, since you've been practicing with slightly heavier sticks.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Farview wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:47 am Have you tried a 5b? They tend to be thicker behind the tip and don't break as easy. Yes, they are 3/100 of an inch bigger in diameter...

You can use them for practice and switch to the 5a when it counts. You will probably be faster when you switch back, since you've been practicing with slightly heavier sticks.
This is what I do. I practice with 2Bs or 5Bs, play and record usually with 5As. 5As are like toothpicks after using 2/5Bs.
Rebel Yell
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

The only band I drum in is my grindcore/fake punk band. I want my sticks cheap and light and guaranteed to break within 1 gig!
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:10 pm The only band I drum in is my grindcore/fake punk band. I want my sticks cheap and light and guaranteed to break within 1 gig!
Ha!

Yeah I sometimes practice with cheap 5b's, I think they are Sound Percussion, super cheap packs. They work well enough but like I said they are lighter than the 5a's.

I dont always have the best cymbal technique so that's part of the problem. Mine tend to split more than the tips breaking off.