New Guitar Day

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
Armistice

Re: New Guitar Day

Post by Armistice »

miroslav wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:03 pm That's a sweet looking finish...a little different than the more common LP stuff.

I hate to ask what it set you back.....
OK - found the multi-quote thing! lollers

I don't mind telling you but there's way more to pricing in AUS than a currency conversion - I think they go for $2800 USD at Sweetwater - don't know if that's "street" or not - this was $4000 AUD. A straight currency conversion of the Sweetwater price would put it at about $3700, so $4000 AUD might seem a lot, but that's (relatively) a pretty good price. I saw one for $3900 somewhere but nothing cheaper - and this is New Year Sale pricing. RRP is $5200 AUD.

Everything is expensive here if it comes from overseas - big country, small population, high wages - all adds up.
Tadpui wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:23 pm Really nice, man! I love the top on that thing, really beautiful.

I like that they've gone to a red plush interior on the cases. Mine is from the hot pink era. It looks like something out of a brothel.
Yeah, my 91 LP has the pink. The red looks a bit nicer. Cheers! :x
ido1957

Post by ido1957 »

Trump wants the American dollar to weaken, which would benefit us poor suckers in AUS and CAN. Our dollar is on par with AUS so we are faced with just as high a conversion. I try not to worry about prices (it's tough), but my opinion is, if you can afford it and the family still gets taken care of, it's totally fine. We all work our butts off and we deserve to spoil ourselves once in a while.
That is an awesome guitar to treat yourself to. Selection is never great in our local shops, a really nice one only comes up once in a while and there's a lot of Epi's and Squiers
People want something for nothing, they want it right now. Either they can't tell quality or don't care but feel it is important that everyone agrees with them.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Armistice wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:01 pm
Greg_L wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:14 am Fuck yeah! Looks great. I really like that case too. Congrats!
Cheers - yes, I like the red plush lining better than the pink too..

That red lining is awesome. Two of mine have white lining. It's nice too, but not like that red.
Rebel Yell
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

ido1957 wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:08 pm Trump wants the American dollar to weaken, which would benefit us poor suckers in AUS and CAN. Our dollar is on par with AUS so we are faced with just as high a conversion. I try not to worry about prices (it's tough), but my opinion is, if you can afford it and the family still gets taken care of, it's totally fine. We all work our butts off and we deserve to spoil ourselves once in a while.
That is an awesome guitar to treat yourself to. Selection is never great in our local shops, a really nice one only comes up once in a while and there's a lot of Epi's and Squiers
Sounds familiar!

I've been saving for a while, and then the bonus (which I don't get until March), so I can afford it. Last new electric i bought was 2004, then the old LP, second hand, in about 2006 maybe. So I don't buy stuff very often. And I'll probably sell the old one, as I never really bonded with it.
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

LOL - I just had an OH MY GOD HOW DID I NOT NOTICE THAT HIDEOUS WEAR/PAINT DEFECT MARK ON MY NEW GUITAR!!!!! moment. Just on the back edge.

*panic*

And then I scraped it off with my fingernail. Chocolate.

Not sure exactly how that got there... lollers
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Armistice wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:53 am LOL - I just had an OH MY GOD HOW DID I NOT NOTICE THAT HIDEOUS WEAR/PAINT DEFECT MARK ON MY NEW GUITAR!!!!! moment. Just on the back edge.

*panic*

Lol. Chocolate? Were you getting romantic with your new guitar? robus
Rebel Yell
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Greg_L wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:01 am
Armistice wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:53 am LOL - I just had an OH MY GOD HOW DID I NOT NOTICE THAT HIDEOUS WEAR/PAINT DEFECT MARK ON MY NEW GUITAR!!!!! moment. Just on the back edge.

*panic*

Lol. Chocolate? Were you getting romantic with your new guitar? robus
Just feeding my face last night... must have dropped some on it somehow. There's so much chocolate around my place after Christmas - it's a constant menace. lollers
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Armistice wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:19 am
Just feeding my face last night... must have dropped some on it somehow. There's so much chocolate around my place after Christmas - it's a constant menace. lollers
You have good discipline. The chocolate in my house was gone by Dec 26. :|
Rebel Yell
ido1957

Post by ido1957 »

Yeah I hear you - 1978, 1983, 1996, 2014 - the dates I bought my guitars so yeah they are few and far between.
People want something for nothing, they want it right now. Either they can't tell quality or don't care but feel it is important that everyone agrees with them.
miroslav

Post by miroslav »

Armistice wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:21 pm I don't mind telling you but there's way more to pricing in AUS than a currency conversion - I think they go for $2800 USD at Sweetwater - don't know if that's "street" or not - this was $4000 AUD. A straight currency conversion of the Sweetwater price would put it at about $3700, so $4000 AUD might seem a lot, but that's (relatively) a pretty good price. I saw one for $3900 somewhere but nothing cheaper - and this is New Year Sale pricing. RRP is $5200 AUD.

Everything is expensive here if it comes from overseas - big country, small population, high wages - all adds up.
With stuff like this...price is really a personal thing.
Someone may find it crazy high....but someone like yourslef, who REALLY wanted THIS guitar...the price is fine.
It's certainly got that sweet collector's look...and that alone puts it in another category, IMO.
I mean...it's not something you're going to break out for a backyard BBQ jam with sauce flying (considering your chocolate SNAFU)...but then, maybe it is. :D
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

I agree. There is definitely a valid point in buying some budget gear, but if you have the cash and really want something nice, then buy it. As long as you're not starving your children or missing bill payments because of it, then no big deal.
Rebel Yell
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Not actually having children helps with the not starving them thing... and the finances generally. :)
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

It really is a beautiful axe. Just keep the chocolate off it! :mrgreen:
Haggard Musician :mad:
ocnor

Post by ocnor »

That is a beauty! Congrats!
Another toy that helped destroy the elder race of man..forget about your silly whim it doesn't fit the plan.
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

Congrats dude, that's a niiiiice looking Lester!!!! Just curious, did you take the poker chip off of it??? That debate is like the pickguard, & not going there, just curious...

Makes me wish I'd went ahead & popped the extra $$$ on my Lester a few years ago, but that's water under the bridge...

Congrats dude, you deserve to have things you want, you've worked your ass off all your life, enjoy!!!! :minernuggs:
Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, Jackson
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH
TC Electronic, MXR, Yamaha

My music @ Reverbnation :minernuggs:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Minerman wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:58 am Congrats dude, that's a niiiiice looking Lester!!!! Just curious, did you take the poker chip off of it??? That debate is like the pickguard, & not going there, just curious...

Makes me wish I'd went ahead & popped the extra $$$ on my Lester a few years ago, but that's water under the bridge...

Congrats dude, you deserve to have things you want, you've worked your ass off all your life, enjoy!!!! :minernuggs:
A lot of the new ones aren't coming with the toggle switch plate. :sherlock:
Rebel Yell
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

Greg_L wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:04 amA lot of the new ones aren't coming with the toggle switch plate. :sherlock:
Just shows ya how far back in da boonies I live, & also shows how much I keep up with things... :minernuggs:

The finish looks great to me...
Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, Jackson
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH
TC Electronic, MXR, Yamaha

My music @ Reverbnation :minernuggs:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Armistice, did the guitar come with a pickguard and/or poker chip?

Some Les Pauls used to come with the pickguard in the case unattached. You could install it if you want, or not, but it still came with it. As far as I know they always came with the poker chip. Does yours have any of it?
Rebel Yell
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Greg_L wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:36 am Armistice, did the guitar come with a pickguard and/or poker chip?

Some Les Pauls used to come with the pickguard in the case unattached. You could install it if you want, or not, but it still came with it. As far as I know they always came with the poker chip. Does yours have any of it?
It came with the pickguard, but it's the old screw in jobbie, not the detachable version - not pre-installed, obviously. No poker chip, however. I was surprised at that, because it's a 25c part that some people prefer to have on their guitar for historical appearance reasons, so why not chuck it in the case?

They included a weeny thin leather strap that only an idiot would put on a relatively heavy guitar like an LP. No poker chip!
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Minerman wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:58 am Congrats dude, that's a niiiiice looking Lester!!!! Just curious, did you take the poker chip off of it??? That debate is like the pickguard, & not going there, just curious...

ocnor wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:00 pm That is a beauty! Congrats!
Thanks guys! I'll have to get some recording happening with it. 8-)