Entertain Ourselves To Death

Your Mom loves your mixes, but are they really up to scratch? Post your tracks here and get the community's feedback to help with the spit and polish. Impress us! We don't bite.
JD01

Re: Entertain Ourselves To Death

Post by JD01 »

OK, here's Mix 4. Re-tracked all of the guitars, parts of the backing vocal to eliminate pops/clicks (which were actually caused by over compression).

Any tips to finish this mix off would be great.
Entertain Ourselves To Death Mix 4.mp3
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rayc

Post by rayc »

That's a cool rework & remix James.
I've had the compression artifact pops recently - changed compressors and all was good.
Cheers
rayc
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Lead at the beginning seems to have lost something in the new guitar tones. I'm hearing a lot of attack on those notes but not much definition on the notes themselves. You might have to side-chain it with the rhythm guitars or maybe adjust that tone a little.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:14 pm Lead at the beginning seems to have lost something in the new guitar tones. I'm hearing a lot of attack on those notes but not much definition on the notes themselves. You might have to side-chain it with the rhythm guitars or maybe adjust that tone a little.
Yeah - I tried playing it straight, didn't like it, its a pretty weird riff so needs to sound weird too! I do like having the phaser on it, at first I think I went a bit too mental, then I dialed it back a bit, maybe I took too much of the feedback out. Cheers.
jonny deep

Post by jonny deep »

Hey JD - I like this, not really like anything else I listen to. The latest mix/retrack lets me hear the vocal a lot better - where's your Welsh accent?!

What are you using for drums?
JD01

Post by JD01 »

jonny deep wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:05 am where's your Welsh accent?!

What are you using for drums?
it pops out now and again! I don't have a particularly strong accent though. I lived in england for 15 years from when I was 18.

Drums are just EZ Drummer but using no effects, reverbs or compression at all from EZD and treating them all myself in Reaper.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

OK, mix 5. Retracked lead guitar and slightly remixed vocals - Think I'm about there now
Entertain Ourselves To Death Mix 5.mp3
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
musicturtle

Post by musicturtle »

#5 is really good. I like this song a lot as I think I stated before. You have the vocals on this chorus down really well, even got a little growl in there. Nice work man.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Cheers Tony
rayc

Post by rayc »

James,
it's really together now.
So much so that I listened more to the whole - & thought it's a little "cold".
Do you have a warmer plug to experiment with. The PSP Vintage Warmer 2 is free and may be useful.
Cheers
rayc
JD01

Post by JD01 »

rayc wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:40 pm James,
it's really together now.
So much so that I listened more to the whole - & thought it's a little "cold".
Do you have a warmer plug to experiment with. The PSP Vintage Warmer 2 is free and may be useful.
Do you mean the mix as a whole or just the vocal? I suppose it would be no hassle to stick something like that on either the master buss or just the vocal buss. I don't want to go too mental with VSTs at the moment as I'm hoping to buy a new computer soon so don't want to have to reinstall millions of things. At the moment the only things I use outside standard Reaper stuff is the Focusrite RED3 compressor, EZ Drummer and the Camel Crusher. In a couple of months when I've got the old songs re-tracked I'll upgrade to Superior Drummer anyway.
rayc

Post by rayc »

James,
Across the stereo buss I thought.
There're free versions out there. the free one I have works 100% but the preset has to be reselected each time a project is open as well as a nag dialogue box.
It may just be me though.
https://goaudio.org/pspaudioware-psp-vi ... -download/
Cheers
rayc
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Cheers Ray - hopefully I'll get a chance to take a look at this tomorrow or, failing that, next weekend.
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Yep, that lead sounds a lot better now.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:17 pm Yep, that lead sounds a lot better now.
Thanks Steve - I might have another tweak or two with this like Ray said, but its pretty much there now.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

OK, I've also remixed this over the last few days and I'm generally pretty happy with now, if any of you could have a good listen through on something decent and given me any final pointers that would be great.
Entertain Ourselves To Death.mp3
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Work environment is noisy, so I can't give it a thorough listen, but it's sounding pretty good

I'll try to remember to re-listen on thursday when I work from home.
rayc

Post by rayc »

There seems to be a combined vocal loud spot at 0.57 "Don't care ???? offe(?) me.." The syllable after care is the loud or odd spot I think.
Cheers
rayc
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Jdood. I am giving it a spin in the jeep whilst waiting for take out. Sounds pretty well thrown together. All the instrumentation is smooth and sotting well together. Overall i got nothing.

Was there a more aggressolive flange or phaser or something on the intro lead bit when the guitar goes off om its own in previous mixes of this song? It seems tamer than i remember.

Second listen here. I feel like what would be the prechorus backing vox sound more mushed i to the maon vocal amd sligthly more lumpy than the backing vox in the actual chorus? It could just ne how the vocal is delivered more than it is mixed but i can't really tell??

Aside from that i got nothing.

Third listen edit: as back ground music and not objectively listening while driving the snare is rather up front and driving.

Honestly nothing id go back to change unless you wanted to?
:happytrees:
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

A/Bing it with the previous mix. I'm not really hearing much difference. Are the bgvox a little quieter in the most recent mix? That's probably an improvement.

Really, you're probably about there. You could fine-tune it forever to increasingly-diminishing-returns.