Entertain Ourselves To Death

Your Mom loves your mixes, but are they really up to scratch? Post your tracks here and get the community's feedback to help with the spit and polish. Impress us! We don't bite.
JD01

Re: Entertain Ourselves To Death

Post by JD01 »

Cheers guys. I'll look into these little nits and call this done.
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

I like it .... most recent mix is clearly superior.

I don't do nits ..... nits are part of human-generated music .... if there are no nits it's Compressorhead!

Little clicks and pops don't interest me or bother me .... IF there are any since I didn't notice.
But I just like the overall thing and this song is cool ... gets my attention and keeps it long enough for me to listen to the whole thing
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

I'm HATING this double-post-can't delete-the-stupid-double-post thing the board has going these days
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Lt. Bob wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:36 am I like it .... most recent mix is clearly superior.

I don't do nits ..... nits are part of human-generated music .... if there are no nits it's Compressorhead!

Little clicks and pops don't interest me or bother me .... IF there are any since I didn't notice.
But I just like the overall thing and this song is cool ... gets my attention and keeps it long enough for me to listen to the whole thing
Thanks Bob - much appreciated. This is one of three tunes where I was intentionally using weird scales to see if I could make them apply to alternative punk rock and to just spice things up and make it sound a bit different.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:53 pm Jdood. I am giving it a spin in the jeep whilst waiting for take out. Sounds pretty well thrown together. All the instrumentation is smooth and sotting well together. Overall i got nothing.

Was there a more aggressolive flange or phaser or something on the intro lead bit when the guitar goes off om its own in previous mixes of this song? It seems tamer than i remember.

Second listen here. I feel like what would be the prechorus backing vox sound more mushed i to the maon vocal amd sligthly more lumpy than the backing vox in the actual chorus? It could just ne how the vocal is delivered more than it is mixed but i can't really tell??

Aside from that i got nothing.

Third listen edit: as back ground music and not objectively listening while driving the snare is rather up front and driving.

Honestly nothing id go back to change unless you wanted to?
Yeah - its a phaser. I tamed it a touch on this version.
Noted about the snare and the BG vox. I'll check these again when I have more time before completely finishing this off.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

JD01 wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:25 pm
WhiskeyJack wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:53 pm Jdood. I am giving it a spin in the jeep whilst waiting for take out. Sounds pretty well thrown together. All the instrumentation is smooth and sotting well together. Overall i got nothing.

Was there a more aggressolive flange or phaser or something on the intro lead bit when the guitar goes off om its own in previous mixes of this song? It seems tamer than i remember.

Second listen here. I feel like what would be the prechorus backing vox sound more mushed i to the maon vocal amd sligthly more lumpy than the backing vox in the actual chorus? It could just ne how the vocal is delivered more than it is mixed but i can't really tell??

Aside from that i got nothing.

Third listen edit: as back ground music and not objectively listening while driving the snare is rather up front and driving.

Honestly nothing id go back to change unless you wanted to?
Yeah - its a phaser. I tamed it a touch on this version.
Noted about the snare and the BG vox. I'll check these again when I have more time before completely finishing this off.
Yea man up to you. I feel what you got is pretty sparkly though. Honestly way better than i have ever pumped out. You could safely cal lit quits on this and move on. When compared to one of my mixes i felt was my best effort in a mix down yours was by far much smooooothhhher!. Very clear and well polished.

I find the jeep when i crank something will either really accentuate the high mids or those low's you can't really hear that well on cans or monitoring in a room at a moderate level, so i use it to kind of pin point mushy spots or areas i might neglect.
:happytrees:
musicturtle

Post by musicturtle »

Mix sounds real nice to me. Vocals sit very well in it and the levels between the lead and bvox is good.

Still one of my favorites I have heard from you. Actually found myself singing the tag a couple a days before you reposted.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Cool. Cheers Tony.
TripleM

Post by TripleM »

I listened to the first and last (6th?) mix. I didn't read the comments in between.

Honestly I liked the first mix better - or at least the rhythm guitars. The rhythm guitars in mix 1 had a better sounding midrange to me. Maybe a little less definition, but they were fuller. Just my personal taste.

Bass sounded nice. Maybe a bit loud?

Vocal was OK. Good recording, but the performance sounded like you were "trying to get through a decent take."

The highhats in that one section were really busy. They distracted from the rest of the mix. Otherwise I thought the drums sounded good.