Soldering: Help a chap out.

Swapping out speakers in cab -OR- putting a hammer though your Line6 Spider? Tell us about it.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Re: Soldering: Help a chap out.

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Ayyyyyyyy.

I did something. Image
:happytrees:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Damn you soldered the shit out of those wires! :D
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

It appears to be a perfrctly looped circuit. 🤣🤣🤣

My observations this far is i have no idea what i am doing but its fun. The tip corrodes like super fast. No amount of tinning seems to help. Keepimg it clean using the damp sponge works ok.

I think its just too hot maybe. I got my wife to grab me some tinning flux when she was out. See what that does here in a sec. Image
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Tinning flux helped big time. Whole new experience. Image
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Billy McFuckstick has his first resistor in place. He looks stoked. ImageImage
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Those PCB solders might work, but they don't look great. Kind of crusty. That top one looks a little cold. I'd like a smoother more consistent molten blob if it were me.
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Greg_L wrote:Those PCB solders might work, but they don't look great. Kind of crusty. That top one looks a little cold. I'd like a smoother more consistent molten blob if it were me.
For sure. Its not looking great. But for the purpose of learning i think it is working.

All the hallmarks of a rookie job. It sort of making more sense. I think i am more worried about keeping the tip clean and shiny. No idea why i am obcessing over that ??

I noticed im melting the board too. Its not burning or discoloring but it is melting and looks shitty. If i used a more needle like tip would that add any kind of more precision to this tiny stuff? Ive got one that came with the kit. Is it worth a try?

In order these were my first few attempts and my last few attempts.

Last ones look a little better. ImageImage
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Yes those last ones definitely look a lot better. I think your tip is fine. A clean and tinned tip is important, but don't go anal with it. Just wipe it on the sponge after you use it and melt a little solder on it before you solder something.

You're getting it though. See how the solder flows around the part's lead and makes like a little shiny dome totally encasing the lead and board in solder? That's what you want. Shiny little domes that totally surround the lead. And no melting the board. If you lift or burn through one of those traces, you're gonna have to do some advanced soldering real quick.

And make sure your solder blobs don't touch each other. When you got two pieces right next to each other, make sure they don't touch.
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

you're melting the board because you're spending too much time there ..... when you get comfortable with it a solder spot on a PCB is pretty quick ..... it doesn't take a lot of heat to get those thin traces hot enough.
muttley

Post by muttley »

Tips wear out but dont worry about them looking rough, they will after a short while. Wipe them clean before tinning, every little while use some fine grit wet and gry to remove the crud. Start over. I've got the same tip in mine that Ive been using for about 3 months so you will be fine. Hold the tip on both parts, apply solder remove tip and solder at the same time and let it cool off without blowing on it. You will get it.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Lt. Bob wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:49 am you're melting the board because you're spending too much time there ..... when you get comfortable with it a solder spot on a PCB is pretty quick ..... it doesn't take a lot of heat to get those thin traces hot enough.
Yea i think after reviewing what i did and i was doing it wrong. I was sort of taking instruction from a few different sources and one document told me to put the iron on one side of the lead, then touch the solder to opposite side of the lead and then when the heat transfers it start to melt. Which it did do, but i found doing it that way was causing some of the melting. Another document told me to do essentially that but to tuch the solder to iron tip first and as it it starts to melt to draw it around to the other side of the lead. I preferred that method a bit better. It seemed quicker and that was what got me the nice dome blobs.

I had a blast.
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

I love this board.

It could be a little busier, but it's shit like this - helping each other out - that makes the difference.
Haggard Musician :mad:
musicturtle

Post by musicturtle »

Bubba wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:01 am I love this board.

It could be a little busier, but it's shit like this - helping each other out - that makes the difference.
I agree. I love this thread. My son and I are gonna try this kit together and the tips here certainly should help out.

I haven't soldered anything since the mid 80s when I rewired my 3 bolt necked Strat and installed Lace Sensor pickups.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

IT'SSSSSSS ALIVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Here is this in all it's newb glory. Sorry it took so long to get back in with a follow up.

Before even flashing it up i tried to do a bunch of tests to figure out my multimeter (another tool i have no idea wtf to do with or how to use etc) but it seemed to work on other stuff i tested it out but not this robot? The manual says it is an astable multivibrator or free running oscillator? I am thinking maybe that means the signal is turned on and off in such a way that it can not test to see if it closed or working or not?

no clue :confused:

Enjoy the video. :like: :like: I try to pretend to sound like i know what i am talking about. :happytrees: :spacepalm:
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

nice job and the joints look pretty good for the most part
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Lt. Bob wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:47 pm nice job and the joints look pretty good for the most part
Thanks Lt . I am sure i could go back and do them all over again but i dont think i will. I am going to hone my skills on something a bit more practical and useful i think. Cheers buddy.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Haha awesome. Bleep Blorp Bloop. I think your solders blobs look pretty decent. Trim that excess lead off and you're done.

Guilty Gilly!
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Greg_L wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:07 pm Haha awesome. Bleep Blorp Bloop. I think your solders blobs look pretty decent. Trim that excess lead off and you're done.

Guilty Gilly!
Shes always guilty of something.

Yes i will trim it all up nice. I think ill mount this in a box or something for my neices ?! Night light or something. Thanks Gerk.
rayc

Post by rayc »

Nice work Shan. I do have a question... WHY SODDDERING? Did the L become silent on the north American continent.
ASIDE: Nice doggy.
Cheers
rayc
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

rayc wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:39 pm Nice work Shan. I do have a question... WHY SODDDERING? Did the L become silent on the north American continent.
ASIDE: Nice doggy.
I say it wrong i am sure. Lazy sod(der) that i am.