Soldering: Help a chap out.

Swapping out speakers in cab -OR- putting a hammer though your Line6 Spider? Tell us about it.
rayc

Re: Soldering: Help a chap out.

Post by rayc »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:51 pm
rayc wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:39 pm Nice work Shan. I do have a question... WHY SODDDERING? Did the L become silent on the north American continent.
ASIDE: Nice doggy.
I say it wrong i am sure. Lazy sod(der) that i am.
Well, you don't say it wrong for your part of the world - for some very obscure reason the North American continentals dropped the L from their pronunciation of solder yonks ago.
Cheers
rayc
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

UPDATE:

Soldering Iron bit the dust last night half way through converting my Unidyne 544 to Male XLR. The little heat dial literally fell off. I guess i will start the hunt for a new one or get my old man to send out his old Weller.
:happytrees:
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

I also desperately need one of those little third hand thingies in the worst way.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:11 pm I also desperately need one of those little third hand thingies in the worst way.
Getcha a cheapo chinese Weller knockoff off Amazon. I got one and have done tons of soldering with it and it's great. Get some nice tips though. The cheap tips wear out fast. But the iron itself and control unit is great.
Rebel Yell
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

At present, having recently done a hell of a lot of soldering at work, I'm trying to invent a gadget that helps to conserve the amount of solder used on a job and reduce solder wastage to a minimum. If I'm successful I think it could have a commercial application. I'm thinking of calling it the "Solder Miser" ™.

What do you guys think?
Haggard Musician :mad:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Bubba wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:25 am At present, having recently done a hell of a lot of soldering at work, I'm trying to invent a gadget that helps to conserve the amount of solder used on a job and reduce solder wastage to a minimum. If I'm successful I think it could have a commercial application. I'm thinking of calling it the "Solder Miser" ™.

What do you guys think?
First I gotta ask...how are you "wasting" solder? What's happening and/or why is it being wasted?
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Bubba wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:25 am At present, having recently done a hell of a lot of soldering at work, I'm trying to invent a gadget that helps to conserve the amount of solder used on a job and reduce solder wastage to a minimum. If I'm successful I think it could have a commercial application. I'm thinking of calling it the "Solder Miser" ™.

What do you guys think?
:lollers2: :lollers2: :lollers2: :like: :like:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Oh crap that was a joke. Lol.
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

New addition to my collection of "vintage stuff i don't really need but here we are i have it anyways"

My father really wanted me to have this. I was sending him pictures of all the dumb little things i have been doing and he reminded me of the olden times when i would come out to his shop and watch him fix stuff for his friends. I remember him trying to teach me how to solder when i was probably 8 or 9. this fellah stands out in my memory quite vivdly. Now it is part of my home. Pretty stoked. Haven't plugged it in yet after the flight but he showed me it worked before i left.

Gave it a bit of a clean up just for shits. It needs some better tips for the stuff i want to do with it so i'll have to source some out.

Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:35 pm New addition to my collection of "vintage stuff i don't really need but here we are i have it anyways"

My father really wanted me to have this. I was sending him pictures of all the dumb little things i have been doing and he reminded me of the olden times when i would come out to his shop and watch him fix stuff for his friends. I remember him trying to teach me how to solder when i was probably 8 or 9. this fellah stands out in my memory quite vivdly. Now it is part of my home. Pretty stoked. Haven't plugged it in yet after the flight but he showed me it worked before i left.

Gave it a bit of a clean up just for shits. It needs some better tips for the stuff i want to do with it so i'll have to source some out.

:coolstorybro: :coolstorybro: :coolstorybro: :coolstorybro: :coolstorybro: :coolstorybro:
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

That looks a lot better than my 8 quid one from Maplin,
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Just fired it up. Man does it heat up fast !!! :eep: :eep: :eep: :like: :like: :happytrees: :coolstorybro:
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

JD01 wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:54 pm That looks a lot better than my 8 quid one from Maplin,
Yea a i bought a 30 dollar weller one when my 30 dollar MiC one broke. I won't miss them. lol.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:55 pm Just fired it up. Man does it heat up fast !!! :eep: :eep: :eep: :like: :like: :happytrees: :coolstorybro:
That's good! What temp are you gonna use it at?
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Greg_L wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:59 pm
WhiskeyJack wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:55 pm Just fired it up. Man does it heat up fast !!! :eep: :eep: :eep: :like: :like: :happytrees: :coolstorybro:
That's good! What temp are you gonna use it at?
I think that would all depend on what i am doing i suppose? I don't know that i'd ever go hotter than 350-400 though. I believe that's the general rule of thumb? somewhere in there. I think this bad boy max's out at 425 anyways.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:01 pm

I think that would all depend on what i am doing i suppose? I don't know that i'd ever go hotter than 350-400 though. I believe that's the general rule of thumb? somewhere in there. I think this bad boy max's out at 425 anyways.
I keep mine around 700 American Farenheits.
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Greg_L wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:49 pm
WhiskeyJack wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:01 pm

I keep mine around 700 American Farenheits.
Nice. that's about 371 C according to the rest of the world. It looks like this guy has a 371C setting right onto it. I kind of wondered why the odd number intervals but it looks like there is an F version of the same rig that is in even numbered increments. They just slapped a C skin on it for us and called it a day haha.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:06 pm

Nice. that's about 371 C according to the rest of the world. It looks like this guy has a 371C setting right onto it. I kind of wondered why the odd number intervals but it looks like there is an F version of the same rig that is in even numbered increments. They just slapped a C skin on it for us and called it a day haha.
Lol. Well there ya go. You might need to turn it up a smidge hotter for soldering giant blobs and braided shielding on the back of pots or something, but for the most part 700F/371C should cover just about everything safely and cleanly.

And get you a fine point and a chisel tip. Those will cover everything.
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Ok guys. Getting a bit unglued over here. Ive been tasked with just wiring up a buddies new build for him.

Return of the grey sludgey clay looking solder joints on the pots!!$%^%$$$$$%^^^^. 🤬😠😡🤬😠😡

Tinning tips, no problem. Pre tin connections, no problem! Desolder and removing old bits of wire no, problem. Presolder a pot. No problem.

Solder wire to back of pot.... grey clay sludge. What in the actual fuck is going on here!????

Before i even started i went thrugh everything yall have told me. Expose some fresh, clean metal, pre tin, grt the iron hot i have the ungar set to between 371 and 382 and still.... grey fucking sludge.

Part of me wants to say there may be somethimg wrong with the top on the ungar and i am going to experiment with aome old pots i have layimg around and see what differences i get betweem the ungar chisel tip and my cheaper weller chisel tip and see where that gets me, but im so serious i am pissssssssed. That this consistently happens when it comes time to do the pots.

Frig.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Also how long do i have to do the pot wiring?! I feel like the longer i hold the iron to the pot the more risk i run of damaging. Maybe im not giving it the time it needs to do what it needs to do in fear of damaging the pot.

But pretinning the back of the pot isnt an issue. Its when i try to make the connection that all goes to shit.