Volume Spikes

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
ido1957

Re: Volume Spikes

Post by ido1957 »

Picked up my amp this afternoon. $273 for rebuild of the switching circuit, two new matched EL34's, new Master volume pot (which wasn't linear).
The tubes were $85 by themselves (my price lol) so not a bad price overall and he did quote $300. when we first spoke weeks ago.
Anyway, played with it for 1/2 hour and no issues yet. Sounds the same which is fine really, I wasn't expecting any differences in tone etc.
I'm hoping this will be my last post about this problem haha :like:
People want something for nothing, they want it right now. Either they can't tell quality or don't care but feel it is important that everyone agrees with them.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

ido1957 wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:06 pm Picked up my amp this afternoon. $273 for rebuild of the switching circuit, two new matched EL34's, new Master volume pot (which wasn't linear).
The tubes were $85 by themselves (my price lol) so not a bad price overall and he did quote $300. when we first spoke weeks ago.
Anyway, played with it for 1/2 hour and no issues yet. Sounds the same which is fine really, I wasn't expecting any differences in tone etc.
I'm hoping this will be my last post about this problem haha :like:
Woohoo, good luck man. :coolstorybro:
Rebel Yell
rayc

Post by rayc »

All things come to those who wait and wait and wait and pay.
Cheers
rayc
ido1957

Post by ido1957 »

rayc wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:42 pm All things come to those who wait and wait and wait and pay.
:like:
People want something for nothing, they want it right now. Either they can't tell quality or don't care but feel it is important that everyone agrees with them.
ido1957

Post by ido1957 »

I wasn't supposed to post again but....
So I turned on my amp today and about 2 minutes into my first song, I was distracted by what sounded like distortion coming from the amp beside me. I stopped playing and found that when I strummed a chord it would have this background static to it. Pissed, but turned all the knobs (some minor crackling - the dirty pot sound) flicked the switches, disconnected my GP8 and went straight in, generally fiddled with everything and after maybe a minute or two the whole thing just cleared up. So I reconnected my GP8, adjusted to the gain/volume I wanted (gain ~ 11 o'clock/master maybe 10 o'clock), and played for 90 minutes with no issue.
:spacepalm:

PS - On a positive note the damn LPC stays in tune now.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

ido1957 wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:09 pm I wasn't supposed to post again but....
So I turned on my amp today and about 2 minutes into my first song, I was distracted by what sounded like distortion coming from the amp beside me. I stopped playing and found that when I strummed a chord it would have this background static to it. Pissed, but turned all the knobs (some minor crackling - the dirty pot sound) flicked the switches, disconnected my GP8 and went straight in, generally fiddled with everything and after maybe a minute or two the whole thing just cleared up. So I reconnected my GP8, adjusted to the gain/volume I wanted (gain ~ 11 o'clock/master maybe 10 o'clock), and played for 90 minutes with no issue.
:spacepalm:

PS - On a positive note the damn LPC stays in tune now.
Man you got the gremlins. :frown:

Sounds like something dirty maybe. Dirty pots, dirty jacks, dirty tube sockets. Dirty mind! Something dirty.
Rebel Yell
ido1957

Post by ido1957 »

Ok so far so good... after 3 weeks the amp is working well with zero problems. I've put probably 35 hours on it in 2+ hour increments.
This thing better work after sinking 500 bucks into it lol... Anyway, hope this doesn't jinx it... :coolstorybro:
rayc

Post by rayc »

Fingers, thumbs and toes crossed.
Cheers
rayc