Chill In Chill Out....

Your Mom loves your mixes, but are they really up to scratch? Post your tracks here and get the community's feedback to help with the spit and polish. Impress us! We don't bite.
rammer24

Chill In Chill Out....

Post by rammer24 »

I can't remember if I posted this during our short stay at RR. I might have posted it in the Tone Thread before I finished it.

So, anyway, just wanted to put an original up since the only song I have posted here is a cover.

Let me know what you think. Thanx

https://ramirami.com/track/1138525/chil ... re_id=9921
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Re: Chill In Chill Out....

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Man it sounds good dude. I got nothing to say really. Your guitars sound really good and the open chords 1:05 and on sound really really good got a nice chunk and thinkness. It kind of has like a Rage Against the Machine 2.0 Lite feel to it. Except with out the blatant political stuff. And you got those leads nestled in there so nicely. Really great tune Rami.

none of this was helpful at all but it was good to listen to something new.
:happytrees:
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

Thanx a lot, bredrin.

Funny thing is, I haven't listened to it in about a month and I was just listeningnow, after I posted. I'm making some adjustments. I find the vocals in the chorus too low, and the doubling on my voice in the verses seems to be a little chorus-y for some reason. I'm going to work on it a bit tonight.

Thanx a lot for the comments.
ido1957

Post by ido1957 »

Excellent arrangement and performance, a little funk, rock and the chorus has kind of a Beatles vibe (not sure why that comes to mind must be something I've heard over the years). Only nits would be vocals are a little low for my taste, and mix is pretty loud but very clean and clear.
People want something for nothing, they want it right now. Either they can't tell quality or don't care but feel it is important that everyone agrees with them.
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

Thanx Ido. If you see my post above yours, I agree with the vocals being a bit low. I just noticed it now after not listening to this for about a month.

I'm re-mixing now.
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

OK, just for the sake of continuity, the OP has a re-mixed version with the vocals up a bit in the chorus.
paulman

Post by paulman »

Great guitar, great recording. Anything I could say would be more a matter of personal preference, and even then I'm not sure I would actually change anything. And I am on monitors now, so I'm not just listening casually like I was the other night.
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

paulman wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:23 pm Great guitar, great recording. Anything I could say would be more a matter of personal preference, and even then I'm not sure I would actually change anything. And I am on monitors now, so I'm not just listening casually like I was the other night.
Thanx Paul, man. :cool:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

I think it's pretty good. Vocals seem fine to me. Guitars are crisp and funky. My only suggestion is for a little more snare. It gets a little thin when things are really rolling. Don't lose that thwack.

Also, around 2:13, last line of the second chorus, the word "And" jumps out weird from my left speaker.
Rebel Yell
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

Thanx man. I'll turn up the snare. :D

I have a quarter note echo on the vocals in the chorus, which is pretty long. So, I think the echo from one word ends up doubling up on the word that's a quarter note after the word they're echoing, if you know what I mean. I think I just need to turn down the echo a bit.

Thanx dude.
ido1957

Post by ido1957 »

Vocal level is good now that you tweaked it. I wonder if the echo would be better timed on the 1/2 note? Not sure, just a thought.
Rest remain good for me....
People want something for nothing, they want it right now. Either they can't tell quality or don't care but feel it is important that everyone agrees with them.
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

ido1957 wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:22 pm Vocal level is good now that you tweaked it. I wonder if the echo would be better timed on the 1/2 note? Not sure, just a thought.
Rest remain good for me....
Always worth a try, but that seems long. There's only one way to find out. :)
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Rami, aside from that weird "and" that Greg pointed out - was really obvious on my headphones and I was looking out for it - there's nothing I can pick out.

Your mixes have a really distinctive sound and feel to them. It always sounds really close and the volume is always really consistent - the playing is always really tight too which I am sure helps. Do you use a lot of compression combined with using reverb very, very sparingly?
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

JD01 wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:17 am Rami, aside from that weird "and" that Greg pointed out - was really obvious on my headphones and I was looking out for it - there's nothing I can pick out.

Your mixes have a really distinctive sound and feel to them. It always sounds really close and the volume is always really consistent - the playing is always really tight too which I am sure helps. Do you use a lot of compression combined with using reverb very, very sparingly?
Thanx a lot J. In this song I use quite a bit of both, compressioon and reverb. I don't usually have as much reverb as I do in this song, but I wanted a "bigger" sound in this tune. I always use quite a bit of compression on d r u m s, vocals and bass. I only compress the drum bus, not individual d r u m s. Vocals, I put compression on each track and then compress the vocal bus, so two compressors for vocals.
Last edited by rammer24 on Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

We have to change the fact that smileys happen automatically. I had to separate the letters in the word "d r u m s". Otherwise, a drum smiley came up every time.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

rammer24 wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:40 am
JD01 wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:17 am Rami, aside from that weird "and" that Greg pointed out - was really obvious on my headphones and I was looking out for it - there's nothing I can pick out.

Thanx a lot J. In this song I use quite a bit of both, compressioon and reverb. I don't usually have as much reverb as I do in this song, but I wanted a "bigger" sound in this tune. I always use quite a bit of compression on d r u m s, vocals and bass. I only compress the d r u m bus, not individual d r u m s. Vocals, I put compression on each track and then compress the vocal bus, so two compressors for vocals.
Ah, I'm just trying to work out how you seem to have a signature sound. Thought it might be something to do with compression and reverb.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

rammer24 wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:42 am We have to change the fact that smileys happen automatically. I had to separate the letters in the word "d r u m s". Otherwise, a drum smiley came up every time.
drums
minernuggs robus picardpalm happytrees
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

JD01 wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:43 amAh, I'm just trying to work out how you seem to have a signature sound. Thought it might be something to do with compression and reverb.
Might be, but I think it's just the fact that it's ME playing MY instruments to MY songs in MY studio. I think real drumbs is a big part of it. If I did everything the same, but was using EZ Drummer, I'd probably sound a lot more like everyone else. Also, not having any real technical knowledge probably helps me in the sense that I don't know the so-called "rules" of sound and acoustics. So, I just do what I think works and a lot of that might be inadvertantly unconventional? I don't really know either. :)
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

rammer24 wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:47 am

Might be, but I think it's just the fact that it's ME playing MY instruments to MY songs in MY studio.
It's this. ^^^^
Rebel Yell