Supro Reissue Guitars & Amps

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
rammer24

Re: Supro Reissue Guitars & Amps

Post by rammer24 »

Oops...Oh well...^^^^^^^^I guess the thumbnail might be a hint. :D
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

Armistice wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:46 pm I got one of those "choose 6 LPs for a dollar" mail order deals
I once went out with a girl that worked for one of those mail-order CD companies. She went out with me on the condition that I promise to take her out 3 more times within the next 6 months. :eek:
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

I'm surprised that anyone could be unaware of Frank or Mahogany Rush ....... I was touring the southeast those years and he was on all the bar music lists.
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

Lt. Bob wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:58 pm I'm surprised that anyone could be unaware of Frank or Mahogany Rush ....... I was touring the southeast those years and he was on all the bar music lists.
Yeah, strangely enough, he's a lot bigger in the South than the rest of the states. He's obviously huge in Canada and here in Montreal especially. The problem is that even the local radio stations never play his originals. They always play his version of "All Along the Watchtower" or "Road House Blues", but he can't get them to play his stuff. "Mahogany Rush Live" was recorded in Texas.
miroslav

Post by miroslav »

rammer24 wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:01 pm
Lt. Bob wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:58 pm I'm surprised that anyone could be unaware of Frank or Mahogany Rush ....... I was touring the southeast those years and he was on all the bar music lists.
Yeah, strangely enough, he's a lot bigger in the South than the rest of the states. He's obviously huge in Canada and here in Montreal especially. The problem is that even the local radio stations never play his originals. They always play his version of "All Along the Watchtower" or "Road House Blues", but he can't get them to play his stuff. "Mahogany Rush Live" was recorded in Texas.
I was living in Europe '74-'75...and no one heard of them there, that I recall.
Then I was back in the states, and in '76 a couple of us started thinking about getting a band together...those were my early years, and we got one going maybe late '76.
During that time, the NE was getting heavily into the NY music scene, and that kind of stuff - Lou Reed, Bowie, etc...and of course, we had Springsteen to carry the basic "Pop/Rock" banner...plus you had lots of British bands on the radio...
...so no one around here was talking about Mahogany Rush, which is odd, considering that they were so close to NY.

The name was vaguely familiar...but I can't remember from when, and I couldn't tell you the kind of music they did if you asked me, and I certainly wasn't aware of Frank Marino. This is the first time I ever checked them out.
Back then, the people I was with were more into stuff like Johnny Winter, Foghat, Savoy Brown, early Fleetwood...and more of the British bands.
Granted, lots of Blues Rock, same as Mahogany Rush...but I just don't ever recall them getting any air play in the NE during that time, or seeing their name on a concert bill.

I can see where/why Mahogany Rush would have done better in the South in the mid/late '70s...but the NE was already getting into Punk Rock and had left that "Classic Rock" stuff already. We were kinda hold outs in my band...people would always want us to play more modern stuff...but we wanted to play Blues Rock. :D
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

Yeah, they've always been more or less cultish. Many musicians know about them, and many guitarists idolize him as the best of the bunch because not only can he blow lightning fast, he can play blues, he puts jazz licks in his music, shmaltz, hard-rock, etc....

He just never had that radio friendly song, even by FM rock standards in the 70's.
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

Not to swell on Frank. But I just came across this. There seems to be a few videos of him demoing stuff.

This is cool. He switches back and forth between his cab and an emulator. I personally can't tell the difference.[BBvideo=560,315]https://youtu.be/aofKYPiU5uc[/BBvideo]
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

rammer24 wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:54 pm Not to swell on Frank.
HAHA! That wa supposed to read "Not to dwell on Frank". But it does seem like I'm "swelling" on him, so I'm leaving it. :D
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Ramster is engorged. Everyone look away.... :lol:
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

I'm swollen!!!!!!!