Recording Acoustic Guitars.

Need a helping hand to make sure you do it right, first time? Got some good advice to pass on, so no-one makes the same mistakes you did? This is your forum.
liv_rong

Re: Recording Acoustic Guitars.

Post by liv_rong »

No, that can’t be right.
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:31 pm What a fantastic technique!!!! I REALLY like how it came together. It sounds awesome and full. The big question for me is would that technique be sort of over kill if say you had an acoustic mixed in with a couple loud over driven guitars hard panned left and right? Pissibly narrowing the stereo field of the two duplicated tracks might clean it up and keep some of that fullness?

And what a weird stereo thing going on there. that blew my mind. It still doesn't make a lick of sense to me what so ever but i think if i watch it again and pay full attention while not at work it may more sense. Crazy man. Great video @Tadpui :like: :like: !!!
Thanks WJ, I appreciate it :) I'm still brand new to the technique, and I had my doubts going into it for the first time. I couldn't see how a non-stereo mic could produce a left and right signal. I'm still not 100% sure how it works, even after reading exhausting threads on the subject at GearSlutz (I hate that site, but occasionally there is a good conversation there).

As far as using it in a mix, I have yet to try it. But from some of the discussions I've read, it seems that it's best suited for mixes where the mid/side instrument is featured in the mix. Like maybe a solo acoustic guitar where it's only competing with a vocal.

Greg had commented that it's cool on drums too, so I'm looking forward to trying that next time I have my drums set up.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

liv_rong wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:57 am Man, I miss a lot of stuff around here!

WhiskeyJack, I just stick an LDC approximately a foot in front of the sound hole and aim it at approximately the 12th fret. Even though I have a cheap acoustic it has worked well enough for me. If only I could record my snare so easily :facepalm2:

This is a snippet of a raw track from that two chord song challenge, the last time I recorded an acoustic. And definetly the last time I changed the strings on the guitar :facepalm:
Sounds pretty good dude. I'll have to go digging back to see how it sat in a mix. Do you recall if you had to do much post mixing to it?
:happytrees:
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Tadpui wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:22 pm As far as using it in a mix, I have yet to try it. But from some of the discussions I've read, it seems that it's best suited for mixes where the mid/side instrument is featured in the mix. Like maybe a solo acoustic guitar where it's only competing with a vocal.
Yes. this. I watched your video again yesterday and i think it would be too much to throw in with a bunch of other instruments. I would be really interested to read all the notes on how the engineers mix all the the last few Flogging Molly records. There is alot going on in that band and alot of mid range instruments most of the time. Might be fun to try and sit an autopsy that someday.

If anyone cares have a listen to their (Flogging Molly) song called "Speed of Darkness" on a reputable streaming service. None of the versions on youtube do it any justice. I would think those records would be a nightmare to mix down but also a whole lot of fun!!!
JD01

Post by JD01 »

OK, off-topic.. but Flogging Molly, you mention them all the time. I'm finally going to have a good listen. Also, WJ, I have my Brutus tickets.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

JD01 wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:23 am OK, off-topic.. but Flogging Molly, you mention them all the time. I'm finally going to have a good listen. Also, WJ, I have my Brutus tickets.
That's awesome. Twice in less than a year. :like: :like: Interested to see how al the touring has shaped their live show in that time.

Flogging Molly is pretty great live act to catch. Or used to be. They are all about the live show so some of the earlier records are abit more raw, but as they chilled out on the constant touring their records productions seemed to get better. I really like them but you may not [mention]JD01[/mention] Hard to describe them really other than celtic punk, but not at all really in the same vein as Dropkick Murphys or the Real McKenzies. You'd have to give it a spin and decide for yourself.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:54 am
JD01 wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:23 am OK, off-topic.. but Flogging Molly, you mention them all the time. I'm finally going to have a good listen. Also, WJ, I have my Brutus tickets.
That's awesome. Twice in less than a year. :like: :like: Interested to see how al the touring has shaped their live show in that time.

Flogging Molly is pretty great live act to catch. Or used to be. They are all about the live show so some of the earlier records are abit more raw, but as they chilled out on the constant touring their records productions seemed to get better. I really like them but you may not @JD01 Hard to describe them really other than celtic punk, but not at all really in the same vein as Dropkick Murphys or the Real McKenzies. You'd have to give it a spin and decide for yourself.
Ah, I put them on and just thought, oh this sounds like Dropkick Murphys.
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

From the little I've heard of both I prefer the Dropkicks. And they both sound very Pogues-ish at times. I guess that's almost inevitable though..
Ausrock

Post by Ausrock »

I was going to suggest that to you, having set up for it, believe me the end result is well worth the effort.
WhiskeyJack wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:31 pm [BBvideo=560,315]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lU3evWbLH1U[/BBvideo]

What a fantastic technique!!!! I REALLY like how it came together. It sounds awesome and full. The big question for me is would that technique be sort of over kill if say you had an acoustic mixed in with a couple loud over driven guitars hard panned left and right? Pissibly narrowing the stereo field of the two duplicated tracks might clean it up and keep some of that fullness?

And what a weird stereo thing going on there. that blew my mind. It still doesn't make a lick of sense to me what so ever but i think if i watch it again and pay full attention while not at work it may more sense. Crazy man. Great video @Tadpui :like: :like: !!!