Amp Shortist

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
JD01

Re: Amp Shortist

Post by JD01 »

Loving this thing so far. I'm just in my week dat rental so just chilling and noodling. I've never enjoyed a clean tone this much.
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

JD01 wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:51 pm Loving this thing so far. I'm just in my week dat rental so just chilling and noodling. I've never enjoyed a clean tone this much.
:like:
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

Great to hear, JD! Looking forward to hearing that thing!
rayc

Post by rayc »

Lean & clean isn't always obscene.
Cheers
rayc
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

So you're enjoying the amp then, JD?

You're not going to go back and retrack all last year's recordings are you? :biggrin:
Haggard Musician :mad:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Bubba wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:32 am So you're enjoying the amp then, JD?

You're not going to go back and retrack all last year's recordings are you? :biggrin:
Lol. You know he is. :coolstorybro: :coolstorybro:
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:33 am
Bubba wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:32 am So you're enjoying the amp then, JD?

Lol. You know he is. :coolstorybro: :coolstorybro:
Of course I am!
They all sound rubbish compared to the last two I've done 'cos the mixes all still have that mushy darkness to them and ropey singing.
I've already transferred them all to my most recent template and re-tracked most of the basslines in anticipation of the amp arriving!

Re-tracking the guitars next and re-tracking vocals as I go along! Really looking forward to re-tracking the guitars.

And Bubba did already know I was going to do this as I'd already told him!
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

JD01 wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:37 am
I knew you were going to transfer everything to the new template but I hadn't really twigged that you were going to do EVERYTHING again! There's a statute of limitations to going back as far as I'm concerned, I wouldn't re-do something that far back, I don't think.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Bubba wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:53 am
JD01 wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:37 am
I knew you were going to transfer everything to the new template but I hadn't really twigged that you were going to do EVERYTHING again! There's a statute of limitations to going back as far as I'm concerned, I wouldn't re-do something that far back, I don't think.
Its just part of the process of learning to record properly. I've been mainly using my own songs to learn to record over a period of about three years and now the earlier ones sound shit in comparison to the newer ones... my OCD is telling me that I want to get them all to the same standard. Now I've started re-mixing them it will be no hassle to re-track the guitars - I know how to play them really well so once I've got some tones dialed in with the new amp it will be very easy to track them quickly. Also a good way of me getting used to this amp.

I'm actually looking forward to re-tracking the vocals (kind of) mainly as it will be good singing practice for me and I need all the practice I can get with that!
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

I've been thinking about re-doing one of my way way old songs just because I like it so much and my ten year old mix of it aint that great to me anymore.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:14 am I've been thinking about re-doing one of my way way old songs just because I like it so much and my ten year old mix of it aint that great to me anymore.
Do it, mate - would be interested to hear it. I was listening to Bastard El Azul in the work van the other day. The mixes on that are great and I love the drum sound.

If I can get my earlier songs I've been working on up to the standard of my most recent one I'll be happy and leave them there and move on. I think I really made some progress on that last one, not just with the guitar tones by my approach to the mixing too - thinking about where I was sitting in the room, angles of speakers and checking against bits of True North when I was something was pissing me off.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Thanks. I got my drums all set up, maybe I will. The song aint on that album though. I'm good with that one.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:28 am Thanks. I got my drums all set up, maybe I will. The song aint on that album though. I'm good with that one.
Yeah - I figured it wouldn't be on that album. That album has a great sound.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:32 am
Most of that album was done with my buddy's 50w JCM 800 that was modded somehow for more gain. Same with "Drag Racing". That amp is on both albums. At the time I didn't even think of it much. I just plugged in and used it. I wish he still had it. I'd crack that bitch open and see what's going on in there now that I know a little something about it. That amp and his Greenback cab was the shit. It sounded great no matter where you stuck the mic. And our practice room had a partition so you could put the amp in the other half of the room and crank the snot out of it without it going into crazy feedback. This was before I had all my own shit so I'd drag mics and a laptop over there any time I wanted some bad ass tracks. But...that amp is gone into the ether now. He sold it a while back. He didn't even give me a crack at it. Fucker.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:44 am
JD01 wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:32 am
Most of that album was done with my buddy's 50w JCM 800 that was modded somehow for more gain. Same with "Drag Racing". That amp is on both albums. At the time I didn't even think of it much. I just plugged in and used it. I wish he still had it. I'd crack that bitch open and see what's going on in there now that I know a little something about it. That amp and his Greenback cab was the shit. It sounded great no matter where you stuck the mic. And our practice room had a partition so you could put the amp in the other half of the room and crank the snot out of it without it going into crazy feedback. This was before I had all my own shit so I'd drag mics and a laptop over there any time I wanted some bad ass tracks. But...that amp is gone into the ether now. He sold it a while back. He didn't even give me a crack at it. Fucker.
haha, so that's your version of the Slash AFD amp? Gone but not forgotten.

I've not got Drag Racing - I think I heard it a few years ago. But I have Bastard in my Amazon music library.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:03 am
haha, so that's your version of the Slash AFD amp? Gone but not forgotten.
Lol Sort of. It was kind of like that. It really only did one sound but it was a good one.
I've not got Drag Racing - I think I heard it a few years ago. But I have Bastard in my Amazon music library.
Drag Racing is okay. I like the songs, hate the mix. So many things went wrong on that one and it was never planned to be an album. I just took a bunch of my one-off songs done at very different times and places and tried to cobble them together into one coherent album without re-tracking anything. "Bastardo" was a much more deliberate attempt at making a cohesive record and to me it definitely works a lot better. This next one I'm finishing up is even better to me.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

That's part of the reason that I want to re-do stuff - I have loads of songs in a really similar style, so when I listen to them in a group or give them to my friends I want the mixes to be consistent so that they all feel the same.
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

My stuff is like a load of different pressed flowers. They'll never make a cohesive album.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Bubba wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:04 am My stuff is like a load of different pressed flowers. They'll never make a cohesive album.
I think your recent stuff would easily. Living in Fear, Arabian, Marianas etc all fit together really well and its clearly a style you're really comfortable with.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Bubba wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:04 am My stuff is like a load of different pressed flowers. They'll never make a cohesive album.
You just need more of it.

For me, I've got multiple album's worth of material that hasn't made it onto anything. I could whip out two more albums right now of just recent stuff that never went anywhere else. I think the idea is to have more than you need and pick and choose the dozen or so songs that work best together. That is, if the concept of an album even matters to anyone anymore. It matters to me, but I know that very few people actually listen that way. It doesn't matter because I don't sell anything anyway.
Rebel Yell