Amp Shortist

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
JD01

Re: Amp Shortist

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:37 am It matters to me, but I know that very few people actually listen that way. It doesn't matter because I don't sell anything anyway.
I agree - Albums are they way that I like the artform that I love, music, to be presented. I don't ever expect anyone outside of me and my friends to ever listen to my music but I happen to love albums so I'd just love to get my songs together in a consistent format.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:56 am
I agree - Albums are they way that I like the artform that I love, music, to be presented. I don't ever expect anyone outside of me and my friends to ever listen to my music but I happen to love albums so I'd just love to get my songs together in a consistent format.
I had this one spell several years ago where I'd somehow sold a bunch of single downloads in Germany, Austria, and Poland. Like hundreds. Maybe, possibly even into the low thousands. Seriously. I kept getting these small checks from CD Baby. This one song called "Fuck You, We're From Texas" was my big hit. A joke "country" song I wrote in like 5 minutes. Somehow someone over there caught wind of it and liked it and this person must have had some influence over some small scene and people bought it. Maybe it was a blog, or some small internet radio station, I don't know. I can't explain it. I never got any feedback over who or how or why it happened. But that one little period over a few months, that one song sold some copies. Shortly thereafter my album showed up on torrent sites in Russia. Lol. Fucking crazy. And not much has happened since then. :lollers2:
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:05 am
JD01 wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:56 am
I had this one spell several years ago where I'd somehow sold a bunch of single downloads in Germany, Austria, and Poland. Like hundreds. Maybe, possibly even into the low thousands. Seriously. I kept getting these small checks from CD Baby. This one song called "Fuck You, We're From Texas" was my big hit. A joke "country" song I wrote in like 5 minutes. Somehow someone over there caught wind of it and liked it and this person must have had some influence over some small scene and people bought it. Maybe it was a blog, or some small internet radio station, I don't know. I can't explain it. I never got any feedback over who or how or why it happened. But that one little period over a few months, that one song sold some copies. Shortly thereafter my album showed up on torrent sites in Russia. Lol. Fucking crazy. And not much has happened since then. :lollers2:
haha, that's awesome - did you give the cash away or blow it on gear?
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:09 am
haha, that's awesome - did you give the cash away or blow it on gear?
I gave it away. Every penny I make from music sales goes to the March of Dimes. I haven't kept any of it. I do keep my playing live money, but that aint much either.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

I knew you gave some money to charity but I couldn't remember where it went. That's a really cool thing to do, mate.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:28 am I knew you gave some money to charity but I couldn't remember where it went. That's a really cool thing to do, mate.
Not some, all of it.

If I made like millions, then I'd probably obviously have to be a little less philanthropic with my earnings. I wouldn't be giving everything away. But since what I make is not really needed by my family, we don't miss it, and it's from fun and games anyway, then I'm perfectly happy to just donate it to charity.
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Bubba wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:53 am
JD01 wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:37 am
And Bubba did already know I was going to do this as I'd already told him!
I knew you were going to transfer everything to the new template but I hadn't really twigged that you were going to do EVERYTHING again! There's a statute of limitations to going back as far as I'm concerned, I wouldn't re-do something that far back, I don't think.
I am also that guy.

the reason ya'll never hear anything from me is i always find a better way to do something and retrack everything. it's never good enough for you guys. :lollers2: :lollers2: :lollers2: :dislike: i've been doing the same cover for like two and half years. :lollers: :lollers: :lollers:
:happytrees:
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

And I'll pop in and say that ya'll know I strictly record for me when I record.
Once I'm finished with a song I'm finished ...... I almost NEVER revisit anything.

I have maybe 3 times.
I have some VERY cood stuff from 25-35 years ago but everytime I've tried to redo any of it, even though my skillz and gear are far superior now, it's always missing something that the originals had.
Some fire or excitement or something.

I guess it's because when I record I'm mostly curious to see how something in my mind would work.
Once I've done it I know the answer and I'm not curious about it anymore.

I have one song that's a future hit and I keep fucking with it from time to time and never get anything I like.

I kinda don't care anymore ..... I think I'm gonna give it to Chris Harris and see what he can do with it.