MIDI keyboard - don't know what I'm talking about

Keyboards? Kazoos? Dulcimers? Alphorns? Aeolian harp? Here's the place to chat about your favourite instrument
JD01

Re: MIDI keyboard - don't know what I'm talking about

Post by JD01 »

[mention]paulman[/mention] from what I've read about this the internal piano sounds are pretty exceptional, particularly at the price.

Cheers [mention]Tadpui[/mention]unless my mate tells me this one is a lemon I'll probably be getting it.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

JD01 wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 4:51 am @paulman from what I've read about this the internal piano sounds are pretty exceptional, particularly at the price.

Cheers @Tadpuiunless my mate tells me this one is a lemon I'll probably be getting it.
OK. I ended up getting a Yamaha P45. This was £340 instead of £290. So, more expensive, but not massively so.

Piano playing friends (one of whom is going to give me lessons) were recommending Yamahas - specifically the P125 - but that was another 100 quid again. When I listened to the P125 and P45 back to back on the basic grand piano setting I couldn't tell the difference and the key action felt the same. Lots more tonal options on the P125 though, but I figure learning to play is more important to me.

Comparing the P45 back to back with the Casio though - night and day difference. While the Casio did have a pretty good action, the piano sound was night and day difference. Also, and this may seem like a small thing, the headphone out on the Yamaha is 3.5mm whereas its 1.5mm on the Casio.

Now, when recording you can use the headphone out as a line-out (neither of them actually had a lineout). Far easier to do anything if everything is 3.5mm jacks. I certainly can't be arsed with jack adaptors. Especially just to plug headphones into the thing.

So - I am now going to attempt to learn to play the piano - wish me luck.
paulman

Post by paulman »

JD01 wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:58 am
JD01 wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 4:51 am So - I am now going to attempt to learn to play the piano - wish me luck.
Ah, you won't need luck. Just push the buttons, you already know music.