The Fake Drums Thread

Lloyd Christmas: Wanna hear the most annoying sound in the world?
Tadpui

Re: The Fake Drums Thread

Post by Tadpui »

[mention]JD01[/mention] ah yes, the downloads themselves can be targeted wherever you like. And after each one finishes downloading and installing, you can tell the installer to delete it (it'll come up with a special button when it's OK to delete each package). During the installation you can tell it where to install the actual libraries and stuff.

If I remember correctly (I should, because I just went through this a couple of weeks ago when I migrated to a new SSD) you can specify where to install the plugins (the .dll files that Reaper will look for) and where to put the sound libraries. I'd put the plugins in the same location where you put all your other plugins. Those files are tiny and won't crowd your C: drive. I'm assuming something like C:\VstPlugins or C:\Program Files\VstPlugins or something similar is where your plugins live.

It's the sound libraries that are humongous and should be placed wherever you have ample free space.

Have fun, man! I love SD3. And I think that they toss in the NY Sessions Avatar kit (which was the default kit from SD2), which sounds great. And the default kit for SD3 sounds great too. There are so many ways to tweak the sounds. I'm not much for fiddling around with it so my depth of knowledge isn't that great when it comes to the inner workings of it, but I usually don't have to do much other than figure out which room mics I want and mix the kit a bit.

Have we both missed the deadline for Fricker's "programming drums doesn't take talent" competition? :D
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Lol... I don't think it takes talent. It just takes a little bit of knowledge as to what a drummer would actually do... and a lot of patience.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Fricker is probably the last guy that should say anything about talent.
Rebel Yell
paulman

Post by paulman »

JD01 wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:35 pm OK... I just started DLing Superior Drummer 3... Fuck-a-duck! Its enormous. I'm having to archive a fuck-tonne of stuff just to make room on my disk for DL.
I just got that about a month or so ago. It is huge! I'm wishing I'd gotten a bigger sample drive. More than that, though, I'm back to that urge to buy a Roland e-kit. They just came out with a new one that has more of their high-end features for a more mid-range price. Mid-range for Roland, anyway. It's still $3,000. I just hate my current set so much. Superior Drummer is awesome, and my set just does not do it justice. It's like hitting shoe soles attached to poles.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Reckon I'll have this installed in the next hour or two...
Basically it was a 22hr download and about 4 hours of installing!

This is obviously a fairly serious bit of kit!

I was expecting to quickly download it and have a tinker over lunch yesterday.
Its probably a fair bit more advanced than EZ Drummer or Slate.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

JD01 wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 7:42 am Its probably a fair bit more advanced than EZ Drummer or Slate.
No probably about it. EZD is a Ford Focus. SD3 is a Lockheed Martin F-22 Raptor.
:happytrees:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:32 pm
JD01 wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 7:42 am Its probably a fair bit more advanced than EZ Drummer or Slate.
No probably about it. EZD is a Ford Focus. SD3 is a Lockheed Martin F-22 Raptor.
I actually own a focus. I don't feel qualified to fly a raptor
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

I'm pretty sure my grand caravan has a lot more cargo space than a raptor and is able to pass an emissions test.

This metaphor is falling apart all over the place! :D
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Why can't you have both?

Rebel Yell
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

*slaps roof*
This baby can store so much killing everyone you love!
JD01

Post by JD01 »

OK,

Here's a standard mix of my old drum sound and my first mix of my new drum sound.
Old Drum Sound.mp3
First New Drum Sound.mp3
This is my old drum sound EQ'd and processed straight out of a mix.
The new drum sound has the same ReaComp preset for NY Drum Buss on it as the old one with a few little tweeks. I always found this worked well.
I've also done various sends to a reverb impulse in a similar way to the old one.
There's no EQ or compression on any of the new drums yet.

First impression, the new stuff sounds more like actual drums and they're clearly better quality sounds. But I need to do some work on them.
Any tips would be great.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 8:29 am OK,

Here's a standard mix of my old drum sound and my first mix of my new drum sound.
Old Drum Sound.mp3
First New Drum Sound.mp3

The new drum sound has the same ReaComp preset for NY Drum Buss on it as the old one with a few little tweeks. I always found this worked well.
I've also done various sends to a reverb impulse in a similar way to the old one.

First impression, the new stuff sounds more like actual drums and they're clearly better quality sounds. But I need to do some work on them.
Any tips would be great.
The second one does sound more like raw real drums. I don't like the "room" on it though. New sounds more roomy and washy than old.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 11:14 am
JD01 wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 8:29 am OK,

Old Drum Sound.mp3
First New Drum Sound.mp3

Any tips would be great.
The second one does sound more like raw real drums. I don't like the "room" on it though. New sounds more roomy and washy than old.
Yeah. The new one has more reverb.
On the old one the dry on the reverb track is set to -inf and the wet is set to -5.5 on the new one it's set to 0.

I'm gonna reduce the verb and then start trying to EQ it.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

OK - I'm starting to find out that this is a seriously versatile program!
New Drum Sound Mix 2.mp3
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

I've put some stuff in a mix to help me hone this in on what I'm after.
Any tips, greatly appreciated
Old Drums In A Mix.mp3
New Drums In A Mix 1.mp3
OK - here's another attempt - think I'm edging closer.
New Drums In A Mix 2.mp3
Last edited by JD01 on Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:32 pm I've put some stuff in a mix to help me hone this in on what I'm after.
Any tips, greatly appreciated

Old Drums In A Mix.mp3
New Drums In A Mix 1.mp3
I don't know what you got going on with the kick and bass in the "new drums" but it aint working. Very boomy and too resonant in the lows.
Rebel Yell
paulman

Post by paulman »

I find it hard to compare the two mixes, because the first one sounds more polished (brighter and louder) overall than the new one. The whole mix, not just the drums. To my ears the old one sounds better, drums and all, but it just sounds like more was done to the whole mix to make it that way. The new one sounds dry and a little duller than the old one.
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

There's definitely something funky going on with the new one. It sounds like there's a blanket wrapped around my head compared to the first one, there's a lot of loss of higher frequencies that makes it sound pretty dark overall. The sounds are great though!
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Ah lovely. Another morning of sitting at my desk just listening to drum loops.
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

JD01 wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 3:55 am Ah lovely. Another morning of sitting at my desk just listening to drum loops.
Welcome to the 7th circle of hell.... 😲