NAD!!!!!

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
Minerman

Re: NAD!!!!!

Post by Minerman »

Greg_L wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:59 pm
Minerman wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:52 pm
Glad you got it sorted dude...Still above my pay grade though... :smiles:
Well let's not celebrate yet. I've got it good on a volt meter. Things look good compared to a schematic and through voltage readings. We haven't actually heard it yet. :lollers2:
There ain't but one way to hear it dude... :biggrin:
Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, Jackson
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH
TC Electronic, MXR, Yamaha

My music @ Reverbnation :minernuggs:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Minerman wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:07 pm

You might hear this thing from your house. :nyuk:
Rebel Yell
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

Greg_L wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:11 pm
Minerman wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:07 pm

You might hear this thing from your house. :nyuk:
That's what I'm talking about dude... :not worthy: :murcah: :chillin
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH

Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Check out the blue glow on these things. :cool:
20191018_115232.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rebel Yell
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

The Russian 6P3S tubes (I think that's what they were...they were like an EL34, sorta) I had in the Egnater Tweaker looked like that... :coolstorybro:
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH

Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Minerman wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:03 pm The Russian 6P3S tubes (I think that's what they were...they were like an EL34, sorta) I had in the Egnater Tweaker looked like that... :coolstorybro:
I think those are a 6L6
Rebel Yell
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

Greg_L wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:42 pm
Minerman wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:03 pm The Russian 6P3S tubes (I think that's what they were...they were like an EL34, sorta) I had in the Egnater Tweaker looked like that... :coolstorybro:
I think those are a 6L6
Yeah, pretty sure they're variants of 6L6...That amp came with 6V6, but you could use about any tube in it...

The 6P3S are supposed to be "EL34-like" according to a couple guys in the Marshall forum...Those 2 I'd probably trust, unlike the majority of guys over there...I think both those guys are long gone from that place...

The amp did sound a little better with those tubes...I think I still have those & some other variants I used in that amp here somewhere...I do remember sticking the Ruby 6V6's back in it when I sold it...

Believe it or not, GC gave me almost twice as much for that amp as the 50th Anniv 1w DSL... :facepalm:
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH

WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

What amp did you just mod [mention]Greg_L[/mention] ?
:happytrees:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:13 pm What amp did you just mod @Greg_L ?
The one this thread was about - 1973 Super Lead.
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Ffs.

Duh.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 1:08 pm Ffs.

Duh.
:lollers: :illdrinktothat:
Rebel Yell
ocnor

Post by ocnor »

I'm curious to hear those 6550s. That's one of the few power tubes that I've never used.
Another toy that helped destroy the elder race of man..forget about your silly whim it doesn't fit the plan.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

ocnor wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:53 pm I'm curious to hear those 6550s. That's one of the few power tubes that I've never used.
I'll put some tone up next week. :coolstorybro:
Rebel Yell
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

I've discovered a very very simple, non-invasive post-phase inverter master volume mod I think I'm gonna add to this thing.

"Trainwreck Type 3"

It's so simple, I'm shocked it could even work. I've done the "LarMar" on other amps, and that ppimv works great, but it's far more invasive. This Trainwreck type is nothing but a pot and two shielded wires. :eep:

I've got some options for location. There are four speaker jacks on the back of this amp. I could just replace one speaker jack with the volume pot. The advantage of this location is the wire runs inside the amp will be very short, which is good, and the front face of the amp looks unmolested. This is where I put the PPIMV on my other amps that needed one. The disadvantage is it's on the back of the amp and slightly more inconvenient.

But also, this amp being a 70s model, it has a polarity switch which is now disconnected and unused because it's 2019 and the amp has a proper 3-wire power cord. That switch does absolutely nothing. There is not a single wire connected to it.
20191029_061623.jpg
I could put the volume pot in place of that unused switch on the front panel. The obvious advantage of this location is that it's right on the front, easy to reach. The disadvantages are it adds a knob to the aesthetic that shouldn't be there. And also that location will require longer runs of wiring that will absolutely be in very close proximity to very high voltage AC and DC wiring. The power transformer is over there, the filter caps are over there, the power/standby switches themselves carry a lot of juice. Having delicate guitar signal passing through that area is not a great idea. But it's so convenient!

Anyway, just typing all that out made up my mind for me. It's gonna go on the back in a speaker jack hole. I think I have a one meg pot laying around somewhere.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rebel Yell
ocnor

Post by ocnor »

I'd try it on the front first to see how much noise that you actually get. If it doesn't work out then you just cut the wire down and mount it on the back.
Another toy that helped destroy the elder race of man..forget about your silly whim it doesn't fit the plan.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

ocnor wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:17 am I'd try it on the front first to see how much noise that you actually get. If it doesn't work out then you just cut the wire down and mount it on the back.
True, good point.
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

You guys are all maniacs.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:08 pm You guys are all maniacs.
In my way too long list of music related projects and chores I desperately need to take care of, I just added another. Yall will see soon. :minernuggs:
Rebel Yell
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Welp I finally got around to installing a PPIMV on this beast. :facepalm:

I love this amp but it was nearly unusable unless I'm recording it. Too loud to gig, too loud to just play at home...so it got a PPIMV.

I used the polarity switch hole. The polarity switch does nothing. Useless. It wasn't even connected to anything. So it went out and the MV went in.

The polarity switch hole is a long way from the connection points though so I used color-correct tightly twisted wires to cut out noise. Green and orange are the typical colors for power tube grid wires in old Marshalls. Normally they'd run under the board to the power tubes as pairs in a 100w amp. Green to two tubes, orange to the other two tubes. The blue wire hidden in there is the ultimately crucial negative bias feed. Blue for bias. Normally you'd use shielded wire for this stuff but the twisting does just as good in this scenario. Plus, I just like the way it looks. Lol. I had to math out and rig up my own pot value and safety resistors for this. They sell PPIMV kits but they won't work for this amp as it runs 6550s. Every kit I've seen is set up for EL34s, 6V6, or 6L6 amps - anything with 220k grid leak resistors. Mine doesn't have that so I had to come up with my own design with spare parts I had laying around. Total cost in parts...maybe $2.00. The result - it fucking works awesome! The volume taper is smooth and consistent and most importantly the bias stays safe and stable. It sounds killer and correct even at TV volumes. So win for Greg! :coolstorybro:
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

You're welcome!

:smiles:

lol ( I'm taking some credit for having you learn stuff from building me amps )

My deluxe has a PPI master on it right? That thing is almost completely transparent even at very low settings.
And my 18 watt has a different type of master?

I'm still in love with my amps BTW ..... I've started casting nets to look for a situation to use the 18 watt.