NAD!!!!!

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
Greg_L

Re: NAD!!!!!

Post by Greg_L »

Lt. Bob wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 3:05 pm You're welcome!

:smiles:

lol ( I'm taking some credit for having you learn stuff from building me amps )

My deluxe has a PPI master on it right? That thing is almost completely transparent even at very low settings.
And my 18 watt has a different type of master?

I'm still in love with my amps BTW ..... I've started casting nets to look for a situation to use the 18 watt.
Haha yeah. I did learn some stuff building your amps for sure. I'm confident I could tear into any Fender or Marshall and make them my bitch.

Yeah your Boob #1 Deluxe has a Post Phase Inverter MV. It's gotta be the best master volume setup going for amps that have no master volume control.

The 18w does have a different MV. It has a pre phase inverter MV on the gain channel because it makes a lot of preamp gain. It's basically a 2203/2204 preamp with an 18w EL84 power section.
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

you want my 6101?

That is a different sorta Marshall!

:lollers:
Last edited by Lt. Bob on Thu Sep 02, 2021 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Lt. Bob wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 3:25 pm you want my 6101?
Hell yeah sure. :coolstorybro:
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Greg_L wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 3:26 pm
Lt. Bob wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 3:25 pm you want my 6101?
Hell yeah sure. :coolstorybro:
I'll fix ya' up and I have a guy that specializes in 6101's and has the big MIDI chips that it needs .... when those chips go bad it's stuck in whatever channel it was on .... but he makes em.

We talked last year and he only charges a couple hundred bucks to go thru one and fix it up.
Mine currently works but the led's on the footswitch don't work though the footswitch changes channels fine.

It's a cool amp but I have so many ya' know?
I'm keeping the Mark V unless someone offered me close to market value.
And I have BOB and the gRamp which would both be fine gigging amps and I have a couple of 5 watters ...... but that still leaves 4 Ampegs and the 6101 and a Hot Rod deVille 4x10 and a freakin' Mesa Blue Angel ..... I love my amps and if I had a slightly larger house I'd have 'em set up and just go in there and hit a chord on that VT-40 and marvel again at how wonderful it sounds ..... but I don't and I think I'm more likely to get some recording done in the next year if I could walk in my music rooms.
And I'm only getting older so I have to start lowering the amount of crap Deb'll have to deal with when I'm gone.

wow .... WAY off topic .... sorry but I'm not deleting all that typing.

Does the PPI work as well with that Marshall?
I find it superb with the gRamp.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Lt. Bob wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 3:36 pm I'll fix ya' up and I have a guy that specializes in 6101's and has the big MIDI chips that it needs .... when those chips go bad it's stuck in whatever channel it was on .... but he makes em.

We talked last year and he only charges a couple hundred bucks to go thru one and fix it up.
Mine currently works but the led's on the footswitch don't work though the footswitch changes channels fine.

It's a cool amp but I have so many ya' know?
I'm keeping the Mark V unless someone offered me close to market value.
And I have BOB and the gRamp which would both be fine gigging amps and I have a couple of 5 watters ...... but that still leaves 4 Ampegs and the 6101 and a Hot Rod deVille 4x10 and a freakin' Mesa Blue Angel ..... I love my amps and if I had a slightly larger house I'd have 'em set up and just go in there and hit a chord on that VT-40 and marvel again at how wonderful it sounds ..... but I don't and I think I'm more likely to get some recording done in the next year if I could walk in my music rooms.
And I'm only getting older so I have to start lowering the amount of crap Deb'll have to deal with when I'm gone.

wow .... WAY off topic .... sorry but I'm not deleting all that typing.

Does the PPI work as well with that Marshall?
I find it superb with the gRamp.
Yes it works awesome. I'm slowly but surely putting one in every amp....even the prePIMV amps. They're all eventually gonna be PostPIMV.

Since my arm has been working again I've been fixing up all my amps. All the little maintenance stuff and tweaks I've had in mind are getting done now. I've been going over them with a fine toothed comb. This 73 Superlead is pretty amazing. Not one single resistor has drifted out of spec. I did find one original cathode bypass capacitor that was leaky, and upon further inspection, it's the wrong value! Marshall put in a cap that doesn't match the schematic. So it got replaced. I replaced the bias caps so they're fresh and dependable. And all the tweaks to convert it back to 6550s are done. This amp is healthy and killer. I do need to do the main filter caps still. Four of them are still the originals. They're working fine but they gotta be close to going bad. They don't usually last 48 years. I have one already, I need to order three more.

As for the 6101...I don't know anything about them. I mean I know what they are but I don't know their inner workings. I've only even seen a handful of them so I've definitely never been inside one. But I tangled with the JVM so it can't be any worse than that thing.
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Greg_L wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 2:50 pm Welp I finally got around to installing a PPIMV on this beast. :facepalm:

I love this amp but it was nearly unusable unless I'm recording it. Too loud to gig, too loud to just play at home...so it got a PPIMV.

I used the polarity switch hole. The polarity switch does nothing. Useless. It wasn't even connected to anything. So it went out and the MV went in.

The polarity switch hole is a long way from the connection points though so I used color-correct tightly twisted wires to cut out noise. Green and orange are the typical colors for power tube grid wires in old Marshalls. Normally they'd run under the board to the power tubes as pairs in a 100w amp. Green to two tubes, orange to the other two tubes. The blue wire hidden in there is the ultimately crucial negative bias feed. Blue for bias. Normally you'd use shielded wire for this stuff but the twisting does just as good in this scenario. Plus, I just like the way it looks. Lol. I had to math out and rig up my own pot value and safety resistors for this. They sell PPIMV kits but they won't work for this amp as it runs 6550s. Every kit I've seen is set up for EL34s, 6V6, or 6L6 amps - anything with 220k grid leak resistors. Mine doesn't have that so I had to come up with my own design with spare parts I had laying around. Total cost in parts...maybe $2.00. The result - it fucking works awesome! The volume taper is smooth and consistent and most importantly the bias stays safe and stable. It sounds killer and correct even at TV volumes. So win for Greg! :coolstorybro:
Good work buddy!!! That is awesome. Kinda sucks to see gear sit around and be pretty much useless when it is totally badass. :shred: :shred: :shred:
:happytrees:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 6:14 pm

Good work buddy!!! That is awesome. Kinda sucks to see gear sit around and be pretty much useless when it is totally badass. :shred: :shred: :shred:
Yeah it's not like I ever wanted to take this thing out to junky punk rock shows, but I could now if I wanted to. :jam:
Rebel Yell