Les Paul Jnr Build :Templates and Body Blank

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
muttley

Re: Les Paul Jnr Build :Templates and Body Blank

Post by muttley »

Lake Placid Blue Nitrocellulose.

Similar to the paint used by Fender, Gibson and many motor companies of the 50's and 60's. Fender used it right up to the Mid 70's...
Last edited by muttley on Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

muttley wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:27 pm Lake Placid Blue Nitrocellulose.
Okay nitro. That's the good stuff. I want to paint my SG with some nitro. Do you buy the laquer already tinted, or do you color it yourself?
Rebel Yell
muttley

Post by muttley »

Greg_L wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:31 pm
muttley wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:27 pm Lake Placid Blue Nitrocellulose.
Okay nitro. That's the good stuff. I want to paint my SG with some nitro. Do you buy the laquer already tinted, or do you color it yourself?
That depends entirely on what I am trying to do. In this case I used it straight from the tin thinned down right for my spray gun. This is a solid colour metallic so it kind of is what it is. If I wanted to darken it down I would tint the top coat.

If I am looking to do a transluscent I will normally tint clear coat maybe on a bass ground colour. If I'm doing a burst I will hnd rub the dye and then clear shoot or amber on top of that...

It really does depend on what you want to do and you skill set with shooting laquer. It can be hard for the hobbyist to get exactly the results they want as experience and good equipment count for a lot...
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

I've got mediocre equipment and shit for experience, so I'm good to go. :D

I want to do a plain white with clear. Maybe tint the clear slightly for that kind of cream aged look. Maybe.
Rebel Yell
muttley

Post by muttley »

White is possibly the hardest solid colour to do. It shows up every single tiny blemish. You need to be scrupulously clean with the prep and during loading up and your spray gun needs to be able to lay up clear even wet coats.

If I was doing that I would do a good prep and get a nice white primer coat. Shoot a good white basecoat and then tint the laquer with some amber shooting light cotas until I was close to what I wanted. Then go with clear and build to a finish. The clear will darken over time so best to stop just shy of the aged tone you want. It can go a horrible piss colour if you aint careful when it ages..
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

muttley wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:46 pm White is possibly the hardest solid colour to do. It shows up every single tiny blemish. You need to be scrupulously clean with the prep and during loading up and your spray gun needs to be able to lay up clear even wet coats.

If I was doing that I would do a good prep and get a nice white primer coat. Shoot a good white basecoat and then tint the laquer with some amber shooting light cotas until I was close to what I wanted. Then go with clear and build to a finish. The clear will darken over time so best to stop just shy of the aged tone you want. It can go a horrible piss colour if you aint careful when it ages..
That's funny because on cars, white is the official gonna-be-halfassed color. Black has to be perfect, white will cover even the shittiest prep work. If you wanna fix damage cheap and sell a car quick, hit it with a cheap white paint job.

Anyway, yeah, classic white SG is what I want. I'm gonna give it a go pretty soon before it gets too hot over here.
Rebel Yell
muttley

Post by muttley »

Black comes in third right behind Candy red...

The main thing with white is that as soon as you load the clear it reflects everything, nothing hidden from the eye, Black draws you to anything wrong as you eye searches out where to rest. Candy red is just fuckin hard to do...:)

Why not do the prep work yourself and then get your buddies in the auto coachworks to shoot the white and amber? It souldnt cost a lot. I still put out some stuff when I'm really busy..
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

I really just want to do it myself. If that means I screw it up and have to do it all over, then so be it.

If I can get it to look like this I'd be pretty happy.
Rebel Yell
muttley

Post by muttley »

First thing I would do would be get some of this and run up a tester....

https://www.manchesterguitartech.co.uk/ ... r-aerosol/

Some one in the USA will have similar or the same....
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

muttley wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:10 pm First thing I would do would be get some of this and run up a tester....

https://www.manchesterguitartech.co.uk/ ... r-aerosol/

Some one in the USA will have similar or the same....
There's a company here called Guitar Reranch that has aerosol nitro like that. That was my initial plan, but I have a spray gun and a compressor and was go some testing with it.
Rebel Yell
muttley

Post by muttley »

I've heard Reranch stuff is OK but I think its just rattle cans. There are others. I would stay away from rattle cans if at all possible. If you have a compressor that can deliver upwards of 6CFM then its just about choosing the right gun and tip. If not get an LVLP gun. If you have basic spray gun skills and the set up to do it safely you will get better results over rattle cans everytime.... I would look for some antique white you can spray or an olympic white that you can shoot amber over...
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

muttley wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:33 pm I've heard Reranch stuff is OK but I think its just rattle cans. There are others. I would stay away from rattle cans if at all possible. If you have a compressor that can deliver upwards of 6CFM then its just about choosing the right gun and tip. If not get an LVLP gun. If you have basic spray gun skills and the set up to do it safely you will get better results over rattle cans everytime.... I would look for some antique white you can spray or an olympic white that you can shoot amber over...
That link you posted was aerosol cans. Reranch is the same thing. Nitro laquer in aerosol cans.
Rebel Yell
muttley

Post by muttley »

Greg_L wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:59 pm
muttley wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:33 pm I've heard Reranch stuff is OK but I think its just rattle cans. There are others. I would stay away from rattle cans if at all possible. If you have a compressor that can deliver upwards of 6CFM then its just about choosing the right gun and tip. If not get an LVLP gun. If you have basic spray gun skills and the set up to do it safely you will get better results over rattle cans everytime.... I would look for some antique white you can spray or an olympic white that you can shoot amber over...
That link you posted was aerosol cans. Reranch is the same thing. Nitro laquer in aerosol cans.
Other places do the tinned stuff......

http://www.northwestguitars.co.uk/aged- ... uer-250ml/
muttley

Post by muttley »

Right... I have now cut back and buffed out with just the final rubbing out to go. Today I had some time to oil the neck and it's getting close to finishing off. I have some mor videos to put up later but for now here's a teaser....
IMG_20180314_172807-(1).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rayc

Post by rayc »

That, sir, is gorgeous.
Cheers
rayc
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Goddamn that is sick.
Rebel Yell
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

Wow man, I've fallen way behind on the progress of this, & I've gotta say I'm fuckin' impressed...Very impressed...Blue is my favorite color, & the color you picked is the same as my H-S-S MIM strat...

Very, very nice work Mutt!!!
Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, Jackson
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH
TC Electronic, MXR, Yamaha

My music @ Reverbnation :minernuggs:
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

Great job, mate. :)
Haggard Musician :mad:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Looks Great, Mutt!
muttley

Post by muttley »

Minerman wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:20 am Wow man, I've fallen way behind on the progress of this...........
Very, very nice work Mutt!!!
lol. So have I. I'm despersately trying to get it to a position where it is off the bench so I can crack on with other stuff. I hate having stuff sitting around half done.

I'm nearly there so its good. I'm just about to sit down and try and find where I can get the molex style connectors Gibson use as I want to put them in the back as this is going to be a pup testing guitar until I decide to sell it on. I think it was you who was asking about them some time ago so if I can find them watch out.. :wink: