Les Paul Jnr Build :Templates and Body Blank

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Re: Les Paul Jnr Build :Templates and Body Blank

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Amazing. I really like it.

Mutt, whats going on with the knobs on the tuning keys? My eyes are seeing hand carved burl knobs but my brain is saying "don't be an idiot"

Can you fill me in so i stop squinting at the screen.
:happytrees:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Goddamn that is sick. Beautiful job Mutt. Classy Jr but with some flair. Nothing gross or hideous or tasteless. Very very nice. I'd play the shit out of that thing.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Mutt, you've fucking aced it.
muttley

Post by muttley »

Tuners are just an old set I had laying around so nothing special, the buttons are just plastic. In time this will get a set of Gotoh 510's like all my other guitars... They will be chrome with ebony buttons. Still have to get strap locks on there too.. Will most likely order up some black pickguard plastic so it will end up all black and chrome.

For now I'm just gonna do what gerg says and play teh feck out of it.. I will probably change out the wrap around as well. The one I used was a test of a new line and I'm not overly impressed. It works but is clunky and just too much metal for a jnr..
muttley

Post by muttley »

Greg_L wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:52 pm Goddamn that is sick. Beautiful job Mutt. Classy Jr but with some flair. Nothing gross or hideous or tasteless. Very very nice. I'd play the shit out of that thing.
Apart from the likely changes I mention it does sort of work as it is... I'm going to drop a mutt90 in it for the weekend as I have a loud blues quartet gig at the weekend. I recon that is gonna kill it..

JD01 wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:56 pm Mutt, you've fucking aced it.
You'd like it except for the C section neck and 24 3/4" scale its kind of what you were talking about before you got that amp...;)
JD01

Post by JD01 »

muttley wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:00 pm Tuners are just an old set I had laying around so nothing special, the buttons are just plastic. In time this will get a set of Gotoh 510's like all my other guitars... They will be chrome with ebony buttons. Still have to get strap locks on there too.. Will most likely order up some black pickguard plastic so it will end up all black and chrome.

For now I'm just gonna do what gerg says and play teh feck out of it.. I will probably change out the wrap around as well. The one I used was a test of a new line and I'm not overly impressed. It works but is clunky and just too much metal for a jnr..
Mutt, is this a wrapover? It looks slimmer and less clunky than that one:
https://schaller.info/en/bridges/351/si ... 50600&c=52
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

Lovely job, Mutt!
muttley wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:25 pm I have left the Headstock as a blank for now as Bubba contacted me the other day to say he still has it in mind to do me a Mutt*Pup branding Iron and it will be tried out right in the middle of this.... :like:
I have two weeks off coming up and if I don't get your brand done in that time I'll deserve a Kicking.
Haggard Musician :mad:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

muttley wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:05 pm You'd like it except for the C section neck and 24 3/4" scale its kind of what you were talking about before you got that amp...;)
Yeah - pretty much exactly what I'd be after, but with a black guard, modern C profile, Fender length and matching ruthenium tuners and bridge.
I'd probably want a tele neck pickup too!
muttley

Post by muttley »

JD01 wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:05 pm
muttley wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:00 pm Tuners are just an old set I had laying around so nothing special, the buttons are just plastic. In time this will get a set of Gotoh 510's like all my other guitars... They will be chrome with ebony buttons. Still have to get strap locks on there too.. Will most likely order up some black pickguard plastic so it will end up all black and chrome.

Mutt, is this a wrapover? It looks slimmer and less clunky than that one:
https://schaller.info/en/bridges/351/si ... 50600&c=52
Yeh it is. That would work for the guitar you were talking about as it is 52.5mm spacing, the one on this junior is slightly wider. And its nearly £120... For their stuff I can only get about 20% off and have to spend more than that.
muttley

Post by muttley »

Bubba wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:06 pm Lovely job, Mutt!
muttley wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:25 pm I have left the Headstock as a blank for now as Bubba contacted me the other day to say he still has it in mind to do me a Mutt*Pup branding Iron and it will be tried out right in the middle of this.... :like:
I have two weeks off coming up and if I don't get your brand done in that time I'll deserve a Kicking.
No rush mate, seriously, we are all busy, time off should be spent with the gang.....
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

I had a quick look at Mutt's YT page, along with some of his other projects, & I gotta say, you're a seriously talented individual Mr. Muttley...

Very impressive stuff dude...
Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, Jackson
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH
TC Electronic, MXR, Yamaha

My music @ Reverbnation :minernuggs:
muttley

Post by muttley »

There are lots of talented dudes here miner, I aint nuffin special... anyone can do it.
muttley

Post by muttley »

lol... I gonna gig this thing this evening and when I put in the case I thought I'd weigh it....

Its a beast it comes in at a full 9lb 2oz.... Love it.. :like:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

muttley wrote: Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:56 pm lol... I gonna gig this thing this evening and when I put in the case I thought I'd weigh it....

That's good. For a Jr that's really solid.
Rebel Yell
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

muttley wrote: Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:56 pm lol... I gonna gig this thing this evening and when I put in the case I thought I'd weigh it....

That's definitely solid for a junior. :biggrin:

Son of Gobshite weighs in at 10lb 4oz and Gobshite snr. tips the scales at a knee-trembling 13lbs dead.
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

Just been surfing for heaviest Les Paul weights. Occasional people are claiming 15 - 17lb! I call bullshit.

Muttley, is it even possible given the density of even the heaviest mahogany stock? I think not.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Bubba wrote: Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:48 pm Just been surfing for heaviest Les Paul weights. Occasional people are claiming 15 - 17lb! I call bullshit.

Muttley, is it even possible given the density of even the heaviest mahogany stock? I think not.
My 78 Custom is 12 lbs even. I've weighed it. It's pure solid, no chambering. My Traditional is 10.8 lbs.
Rebel Yell
rayc

Post by rayc »

One gorgeous paddle. I look forward to seeing it with all the bits n pieces once completely sorted - oh & a sound clip of three.
Cheers
rayc
muttley

Post by muttley »

Bubba wrote: Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:48 pm Just been surfing for heaviest Les Paul weights. Occasional people are claiming 15 - 17lb! I call bullshit.

I very much doubt it... Cuban Mahogany would probably be the stuff but thats really rare now and Gibson never used as far as I know.