The guitars you've had

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
Lt. Bob

The guitars you've had

Post by Lt. Bob »

another thread got me to thinking of the guitars I've had.

I've had a bunch because I pretty much like ALL guitars so I used to trade or change them at a moments' notice.
I've had a couple that I played for a number of years but ultimately I either traded them for something else or, back in the day, snorted them up. lol

These are what's coming to me right off the top of my head
Check 'em out and then let's hear your axes.
GREG ... check out #11

prolly a dozen various pauls ... all earlier than say '85 ... even a '54 .... but never a goldtop.
couple of Hagstroms
Breadwinner
Valeno
Moonstone
Mosrite Ventures bass
5 or 6 strats .....
Starcaster
SG with tiny single coils
Ibanez Artist (1st series)

Mosrite jazz guitar I've never been able to find anything on.
It was shaped like a 335 but about 4" thick like a big jazz box ..... all flame maple back/sides/top with a floating bridge and two of the usual Mosrite p'ups (sort of P90s )
Had a maple neck but an ebony fretboard with the end over the body cut at a slant ... typical Mosrite neck .. bound. A Mosrite headstock with a black face and the standard logo
I've never been able to find anything about it on the 'net nor has anyone I've talked to heard of it so maybe it was a one-off.

a Trini Lopez
2 original Firebirds
1 non-reverse Firebird
Tele thinline
Tele with two 'buckers
a half dozen of Epiphones of various types
Schecter
Yamaha ummm AX2? lol
OPL 12 string
Fender droop nose 12 string

Another dozen or so that I've built for myself .....
a few pauls made with actual Gibson parts ...
an SG with actual Gibson body/neck/hardware ... all maple neck and body.
A L-400 jazz box

(I knew a retired Gibson guy that had people at the factory slip him barrels of necks and bodies and parts .... blem stuff that was meant for the trash )

tired of thinking ...... I'm sure I'll think of more as soon as I post this
Lt. Bob

Re: The guitars you've had

Post by Lt. Bob »

Greg_L wrote:Was your mystery Mosrite hollow? F-hole?
Yep .... totally hollow.
Had F-holes .... I'm trying to picture the depth .... I said 4" deep but I'm gonna say even more .... maybe 5 or even 6" deep.
It was like a big jazz box.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Was it a Mosrite Combo?
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

no ..... this one was shaped like a 335 .... no offset.
And it was standard jazz box ..... straight sides and a regular carved archtop, or perhaps the pressed laminate top like a 335 has .... not that german carve where it has all the carving at the edges.
And this one also was totally blonde

and it had a wooden floating bridge with a trapeze tailpiece
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Bob, you've had loads of cool guitars.

I've had relatively few, but then I lost interest in it for about 10 years in my 20s and early 30s.

A crap classical guitar.
An awful Indian strat copy which I'll be rebuilding this year but it's even worse than I remember.
My ibanez which was my first good guitar and I still own.
Tanglewood acoustic that I gave to my niece last year.
Late 70s Washburn Hawk, still own this but it's for sale. It's with a mate at the moment who might buy it to fund some studio monitors.
Telecaster FMT HH got this about 5 years ago when I got back into music a lot. Sold it a bit too cheap last year.
Martin Ellipse acoustic. Bought this for my Mrs. It's great. But she prefers playing my ibanez.
Crimson Custom - the best guitar I've ever played on.
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

I've had:

I've still got most of the ones that I've had that have been any good - apart from a few trainers in my yoof.

I've still got 4 Maton acoustics of various levels - an Australian brand

For electrics I have:
  1. Burns of London Bison - early 80s
  • Levinson Blade R1 strat - early 90s - cost more than an MIA Fender strat at the time, has a few extra goodies on it
  • Ibanez - RG470 - this one's in the process of being sold - I fundamentally don't get along with thin necked Floyd Rose guitars
  • Gibson LP Standard from about 91, but I bought it about 2010ish
  • PRS Custom 22 stoptail bought in 2004
So I haven't bought a new electric since about 2010, so I'm due, I reckon. :D

I mostly play the PRS and the Blade, but I'll get the LP out soon for some new stuff, hopefully.
LP.jpg
Burns.jpg
Blade.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Ibanez.jpg
PRS.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

man .... that Burns ..... drool
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Lt. Bob wrote:man .... that Burns ..... drool
Right? Very cool.
Rebel Yell
ido1957

Post by ido1957 »

In chronological order from what I remember. Had to dig out some old albums to get the pics.

Classical Guitar (Sears?) for Christmas when I was maybe 9
- Took lessons for a year using the old Mel Bay books

Silvertone ES335 copy
- Not sure when I got this exactly. Never had an amp. No idea what happened to it - no pics

Hagstrom II Bass
- Stripped the cherry red paint off and painted it brown with a brush. Dad had no other color in the garage. Used it to play in my first real basement band. The guy on my left was holding my Ibanez (see below).

Ibanez 2350 LP Goldtop Copy
- Bought it used off a guy from high school who had just bought a real Gibson LP Goldtop. This guitar got me a promotion to 2nd guitarist in the same basement band

Gibson LP Deluxe Goldtop
- It was advertised in the newspaper (remember those?) for $550. No case so I bought some no name case. Sold my LP copy to the other guitar player who never used it (He had an SG)

Gibson LP Special 55/74
Traded my LP Deluxe for this one. The P90’s and the lesser weight were an improvement. Stolen in the early 80’s

Gibson LP Custom BB
Found this in one of the local Halifax music stores on Spring Garden Road. It was $1000, but had a repaired neck which I never figured out for a few years. Played like a dream and had an excellent sound, but was extremely heavy. Sold to a music store to pay rent after I got off the road.

Fender Hardtail Strat #1
A white one. Bought it when I moved to Edmonton. I assume I just liked it when I played it at the local music store. Became my #1 right away. Stolen along with the LP Special from my apartment.

Fender Hardtail Strat #2
A white one (78) with the three bolt neck. Bought it with the insurance money from #1. It was never as good as my #1 but it got me by. Main road guitar. Turned yellow with age and has checking all over it. Sitting in its case in the basement.

Kramer Pacer Imperial HH
Bought this while on the road in the 80’s, for $1200 and added an anvil case. White 83 model I think. We played a half dozen VH songs (who didn’t) so it worked well for that. Replaced the neck with a NOS one from eBay maybe 7 or 8 years ago. The scarf joint was slightly separated and the tech said he couldn’t dress the frets for the fourth time. Sitting in its case in the basement.

Fender Clapton Sig Strat
Blackie model (96). This one was a no brainer. I had my #1 Strat back – although it was completely different in components etc. it had that sound and feel that was reminiscent of my first Strat. It’s still my #1 guitar after 20 years.

Gibson Les Paul Custom Black Beauty
This was to replace my old LP Custom which I got for my 25th anniversary in 2014. Bought it from Long and McQuade (ordered it in from Gibson). Cost was 4500 CDN with tax. Terrible price they are now around 6000 since the CDN dollar tumbled. Other than the nut problem I had to fix, this is one incredibly high quality axe.
People want something for nothing, they want it right now. Either they can't tell quality or don't care but feel it is important that everyone agrees with them.
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

I still have pretty much every guitar I've ever owned.

-A Kay 3/4 size LP knockoff
- 1991? Alvarez Regent acoustic/electric single cut
- 1984 Aria Pro II RS Inazuma in black/yellow tiger stripes
- 1990 Charvel 475 Flamed Maple in translucent red
- 1994? Takamine nylon string acoustic/electric single cut
- 1998 Gibson LP Classic in Honeyburst
- 2008 Martin D-41
- 2014 Fender American Deluxe Telecaster Ash in Butterscotch Blonde
- 1965 Fender Jazzmaster 3-tone sunburst

And a couple basses:
- 2012? Squier Deluxe Jazz V Active in Black
- MIM Fender P-Bass in black

The only one of those that I don't still have is the Kay. It was stolen from our home when I was 13. I always suspected this one kid but never tried to prove it. Funny, his name was actually Jeff Beck :D

Oh, and I traded the Charvel in towards my Les Paul. I still feel good about that decision :)

The Alvarez has never been in a case, and is beaten all to hell. It survived 4 years of college dorm rooms and frat parties, campfires and multiple moves. I've played it so much that the cheap rosewood fretboard has grooves worn in it between the first 5 frets. Now I keep it next to the bed so I can go to it straight out of the shower when I've been making up tunes.

All the others live in my studio and get regular use in my projects. Really the only flavor that I'm missing is a good semi-hollow. I'd love to have an ES-335 in cherry. Or maybe a Gretsch of some sort. I've been tempted repeatedly on old used 1970s Japanese guitars patterned after the 335. Or maybe a Hagstrom Viking or something like that.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Cool stuff guys. Ido you had some real cool shit! That Goldtop Deluxe is sweet. That lawsuit Ibanez is sweet too!
Rebel Yell
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Tadpui wrote:
Oh, and I traded the Charvel in towards my Les Paul. I still feel good about that decision :)

Lol fuck yes.
Rebel Yell
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

Armi, that Burns is sweet :)

ido, you've had a long career of nice instruments!
Greg_L wrote:Lol fuck yes.
Ya know, I loved that guitar at the time. All of my spandex-wearing, finger tapping, o-face mugging fantasies were played out on that guitar. But I love my LP so much more now.
ido1957

Post by ido1957 »

Thanks guys - yeah I've leaned towards Gibsons and Fenders since the get go. I like them and they work for me.
The Kramer was actually a hidden gem for rock, pop and country and it got 30 years of solid use.
Lots of great ones posted in the other posts too - I've played a few of them over the years and they are definitely also prize pieces.
People want something for nothing, they want it right now. Either they can't tell quality or don't care but feel it is important that everyone agrees with them.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Ido, you've had some awesome guitars (and some pretty impressive facial hair too). Such a pisser about your appartment getting robbed, you must have cried, mate!

Based on just looking at the pictures, its your #2 strat that I just like the look of, don't know why. I just think its cool.
ido1957

Post by ido1957 »

JD01 wrote:Ido, you've had some awesome guitars (and some pretty impressive facial hair too). Such a pisser about your appartment getting robbed, you must have cried, mate!
Based on just looking at the pictures, its your #2 strat that I just like the look of, don't know why. I just think its cool.
Yep I'm pretty sure the break in was done by a guy that was passing through on his way from jail (for B and E I found out). I met him the night before in a neighbor's apartment, and after several drinks had bragged about the guitars I had. The two he stole were the ones I told him were the best of the three (duh). The police said I had no evidence and just claim it on my insurance. I scoured every pawn shop for weeks but they never showed up. He was on his way to Saskatchewan so I can only assume that where he would have sold them.

My daughter has already claimed the old Strat - I would have claimed the Custom myself.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

ido1957 wrote:
JD01 wrote:Ido, you've had some awesome guitars (and some pretty impressive facial hair too). Such a pisser about your appartment getting robbed, you must have cried, mate!
Yep I'm pretty sure the break in was done by a guy that was passing through on his way from jail (for B and E I found out). I met him the night before in a neighbor's apartment, and after several drinks had bragged about the guitars I had. The two he stole were the ones I told him were the best of the three (duh). The police said I had no evidence and just claim it on my insurance. I scoured every pawn shop for weeks but they never showed up. He was on his way to Saskatchewan so I can only assume that where he would have sold them.

My daughter has already claimed the old Strat - I would have claimed the Custom myself.
Sounds like they just couldn't be arsed to investigate.
ocnor

Post by ocnor »

Here's a couple of guitars that I wish I had not sold. My B.C. Rich Eagle and Guild S-100
eagle.jpg
Playing in a dive in 1985
Guild s-100.jpg
This is not my actual guitar but it was just like it.
Another toy that helped destroy the elder race of man..forget about your silly whim it doesn't fit the plan.
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

yeah, those S100s are awesome.

I have a Eagle body laying around that I plan to put a neck on someday