New Gear Day

General recording topics.
Armistice

Re: New Gear Day

Post by Armistice »

CrowsofFritz wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 1:36 am I feel sorry for recording folks in Australia. :(
We have higher wages. Swings and roundabouts... it's a cheaper hobby than owning a yacht..😀
CrowsofFritz

Post by CrowsofFritz »

Armistice wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:21 am
CrowsofFritz wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 1:36 am I feel sorry for recording folks in Australia. :(
We have higher wages. Swings and roundabouts... it's a cheaper hobby than owning a yacht..😀
I know Brazil is also really bad when it comes to electronics prices.
“Naaaaaaaaaah man. I ain’t touching that mic. That thing’s expensive!”
CrowsofFritz

New Gear Day

Post by CrowsofFritz »

IT'S HERE. Already recorded a comparison with it.

https://ibb.co/hWCXXNZ

So, I'm not doing a dumb guessing game. First half is the AT2020, second half is the Neumann. No processing. The guitar is an MXL 4000. All mics were run through an MPA II at high plate voltage.

I think I prefer the Neumann, but only a little. The reason is probably because I dislike the AT2020. It sounds dull to me. Next I'll try the difference between my MXL 4000 and the Neumann.

Regardless, is the difference worth an extra $600? I don't think so lol.
CrowsofFritz

NPFD

Post by CrowsofFritz »

New pop filter day! I hated fucking around with my old one, so I got one that just attached to the mic rather than the stand. It looks huge on my tiny Neumann, but cool on my MXL.

vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Doesn't attaching it to the mic reduce its effectiveness? Some of the pop sound comes from the mic itself being shaken, right? That's why a lot of pop filters are on a separate stand even?
CrowsofFritz

Post by CrowsofFritz »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:27 am Doesn't attaching it to the mic reduce its effectiveness? Some of the pop sound comes from the mic itself being shaken, right? That's why a lot of pop filters are on a separate stand even?
What do you mean the mic itself being shaken? The pop sound comes from the diaphragm vibrating too hard from a gust of air.
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

A good side effect of a normal pop shield is keeping you sufficiently away from the mic.

I wonder whether that design will achieve the desired result. Let us know.
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

CrowsofFritz wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:50 am
vomitHatSteve wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:27 am Doesn't attaching it to the mic reduce its effectiveness? Some of the pop sound comes from the mic itself being shaken, right? That's why a lot of pop filters are on a separate stand even?
What do you mean the mic itself being shaken? The pop sound comes from the diaphragm vibrating too hard from a gust of air.
Or I guess rather the mic stand being shaken. The whole enclosure rattles, the mic bumps against stuff, noise.
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:28 am
CrowsofFritz wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:50 am

Or I guess rather the mic stand being shaken. The whole enclosure rattles, the mic bumps against stuff, noise.
an isolation mount is for those things ...... different than a pop filter
CrowsofFritz

Post by CrowsofFritz »

Yeah, my MXL has a shock mount. I can tap the mic stand pretty hard and I won’t hear a bump.

The Neumann is another story, but I never tap the mic stand on accident or anything.
CrowsofFritz

Post by CrowsofFritz »

Armistice wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:37 pm A good side effect of a normal pop shield is keeping you sufficiently away from the mic.

I wonder whether that design will achieve the desired result. Let us know.
I like to be close to the mic. In fact, I just saw a Beatles Pearlman style pop filter for my MXL 4000. I’m gonna snag one! So far so good with this pop filter. I actually think it works better than my old one given it’s metal.
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

CrowsofFritz wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:34 pm Yeah, my MXL has a shock mount. I can tap the mic stand pretty hard and I won’t hear a bump.

The Neumann is another story, but I never tap the mic stand on accident or anything.
I didn't realize that the TLM 102 had internal shock dampening:
Neumann Website wrote:Some newer microphones, such as the Neumann TLM 102, sport an internal shock mount, i.e. the capsule mount is shock absorbent. This helps to make a clean recording, but an (additional) external shock mount is much more effective.
That's a pretty cool feature.

The other day I got a wild hair and looked around at prices for a U87 or U67. I knew that they were expensive, but damn! A new production model U87 is about $3650 if I want a shock mount with it. And the U67...forget about it. The reissues are over $7500, and vintage ones are well above $10K.

I did see a pair of U87 Ai for $5500, and it's kind of sad that it struck me as a bargain. I'm actually a little tempted on that one, even though that'd be a silly expenditure for some nobody making music in his basement. The finest microphones that nobody would ever hear :D
CrowsofFritz

Post by CrowsofFritz »

Tadpui wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:57 pm
CrowsofFritz wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:34 pm Yeah, my MXL has a shock mount. I can tap the mic stand pretty hard and I won’t hear a bump.

Neumann Website wrote:Some newer microphones, such as the Neumann TLM 102, sport an internal shock mount, i.e. the capsule mount is shock absorbent. This helps to make a clean recording, but an (additional) external shock mount is much more effective.

The other day I got a wild hair and looked around at prices for a U87 or U67. I knew that they were expensive, but damn! A new production model U87 is about $3650 if I want a shock mount with it. And the U67...forget about it. The reissues are over $7500, and vintage ones are well above $10K.

I did see a pair of U87 Ai for $5500, and it's kind of sad that it struck me as a bargain. I'm actually a little tempted on that one, even though that'd be a silly expenditure for some nobody making music in his basement. The finest microphones that nobody would ever hear :D
Lol there’s definitely diminishing returns the higher you go on mics. At least with the Neumann there’a some resale value.
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

CrowsofFritz wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:59 pm
Tadpui wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:57 pm

Lol there’s definitely diminishing returns the higher you go on mics. At least with the Neumann there’a some resale value.
yeah, at some point you should look at what you're doing with it.
Will a U87 really be such an improvement that you finally like your own voice?
doubt it

If you're a studio for hire then it's actually a credential to have one and makes sense for that.

But for recording ...... I've heard far too many excellent vocals done with all sorts of stuff including just an old SM-58 to not realize it's what you do with what you have and NOT what you have is what makes you do.
rayc

Post by rayc »

CrowsofFritz wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:34 pm The Neumann is another story, but I never tap the mic stand on accident or anything.
It seems there's a misunderstanding of both "never" and "accident".
Cheers
rayc
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

I used to have to coach my co-Jongleur not to tap his foot - even on the carpet - when singing...
CrowsofFritz

Post by CrowsofFritz »

Armistice wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:16 pm I used to have to coach my co-Jongleur not to tap his foot - even on the carpet - when singing...
I don’t like tapping my foot. I’ll sometimes bob my head when playing guitar or bass, but that’s about it.
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Lt. Bob wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:37 am
vomitHatSteve wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:28 am

an isolation mount is for those things ...... different than a pop filter
Ohhhhh. Right, of course.
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

Armistice wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:16 pm I used to have to coach my co-Jongleur not to tap his foot - even on the carpet - when singing...
My worst enemy when tracking vocals is the cable for the headphones. I've gotten in the habit of holding it in my hand so it doesn't flop around and smack against the mic stand or other things nearby and cause weird noises to be picked up by the mic. Those dang coiled headphone cables are terrible about that.
CrowsofFritz

Post by CrowsofFritz »

Tadpui wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 1:41 pm
My worst enemy when tracking vocals is the cable for the headphones. I've gotten in the habit of holding it in my hand so it doesn't flop around and smack against the mic stand or other things nearby and cause weird noises to be picked up by the mic. Those dang coiled headphone cables are terrible about that.
My new headphones came with a coiled cable and a non coiled one. But I have a super long cable I use with my other pair of tracking phones.