Other Side (Not the other side)

Your Mom loves your mixes, but are they really up to scratch? Post your tracks here and get the community's feedback to help with the spit and polish. Impress us! We don't bite.
rammer24

Other Side (Not the other side)

Post by rammer24 »

Hey!

I posted this in the tone thread before I did the vocals, and it might not have had real drums either. Here it is, finished....I hope.

Tell me what you don't like, like, love, hate....whatevah.....

https://www.ramirami.com/track/1191820/ ... re_id=9921
vomitHatSteve

Re: Other Side (Not the other side)

Post by vomitHatSteve »

That bass and rhythm together are super-beefy! Nice.

What audio player are you using? It kept on popping in my Firefox (but when I went back and re-listened to any instance, it stopped)

Anyone ever tell you that you sound kinda like Weird Al? Your vocal tone and harmony choices in particular. That second verse also lyrically kinda matches his tone. :D
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:25 pm Anyone ever tell you that you sound kinda like Weird Al?
Many times...by you. :D
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:25 pm What audio player are you using
The link takes you to my website, which is hosted by Bandzoogle. Weird, I use Firefox but don't have any issues with it.

Thanx for the comments, VHS.
ocnor

Post by ocnor »

It sounds good to me.
Another toy that helped destroy the elder race of man..forget about your silly whim it doesn't fit the plan.
rayc

Post by rayc »

Ace Rami, you have the cynical pun market cornered in lyric land too.
Lovely!
Cheers
rayc
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

Thanx guys.

I'll post this again in a few months and call it a new song. :D :D :D
JD01

Post by JD01 »

rammer24 wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:26 pm Thanx guys.

I'll post this again in a few months and call it a new song. :D :D :D
Remember to say that you've lifted the acoustic doubling that comes in for about 10s in the last by 1db and added 1db of reverb to the 4s lead break. Then its a new mix and you can re-promote it.

Seriously though, Its excellent though, mate. Great guitar playing, really tight performances throughout, nothing leaps out in the mix.

The only thing that sticks out is the end of the first line of the guitar riff - this is probably intentional, and sounds fine when the band comes in, but at about 4s in the intro it sounds like you've just missed a beat.
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

You're really good with those interlocking riffs. Tight as. :D Drums very crisp as usual, plenty of space around everything.

I do like the way you mix your vocals. Great clarity in the mix considering how much is going on. You can hear every word but they still sit really well in the mix. That's the kind of treatment I'm really searching for in my own mixes at the moment.

I don't have any nits except maybe the floor tom pokes out a little. Great. :)
Haggard Musician :mad:
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

Hey thanx a lot guys.

Those little details are important, don't dismiss them. I appreciate that. I'll check out the floor tom situation.

I don't have time at the moment, but I'll explain what I did for the vocals on this tune. I tried parallel compression on them for the first time, which is why they might seem so clear. I'll describe in detail what I did later.
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

OK, in case anyone wants to try this, here's what I did on my vocals for the first time. I'm sure there are 1000's of articles and tutorials on parallel compression, so you don't have to listen to me.

I did what is called the "Motown Exciting Compressor". I'll link to an article about it below.

So, I copied/cloned/duplicated the main track. Regular treatment on the main track. On the cloned track, I high-passed at about 400hz, and boosted at 8k with a shelf 4db. Then, I went for 8:1 compression with a fast attack and slow release and went for about 10db of reduction. I then muted that track, set my main track to the volume I would want it, and slowly brought up the cloned track until it just enhanced the main track enough. I ended up putting the cloned track 6db lower than the main track. Try it. I think I like it.

Here's a quuick article on it. They get to it about 4 paragraphs down, but the whole article is cool:

http://www.recordinginstitute.com/R2KREQ/excomp.htm
Last edited by rammer24 on Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

Oh, and since this is the first time I try this on vocals, I hope you guys will let me know if you hear too much compression, or any other artifact that might be a result of it. I've never tried it before, so I might still be experimenting with it.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Fuck man, there's nothing wrong with this. This is one of those mixes you just listen to because you can because there's nothing to critique. For me, your drums have really benefited from figuring out that new snare and miking your toms. Your drums have always been good, but they're even better now. The snare and tom tones you got in this one stand above even your usual great results. Good job all around.
Rebel Yell
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

Greg_L wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:06 pm Fuck man, there's nothing wrong with this. This is one of those mixes you just listen to because you can because there's nothing to critique. For me, your drums have really benefited from figuring out that new snare and miking your toms. Your drums have always been good, but they're even better now. The snare and tom tones you got in this one stand above even your usual great results. Good job all around.
Thanx a lot, Greg. One thing that helped my toms besides micing them was that, for the first maybe 10-12 songs I recorded with mics on my toms, I had the mics angled wrong. I had them sort of along the rim, almost parallel to the skin, like you would a snare mic. 2 or 3 songs ago, I moved my tom mics up and pointed them straight down at the drum, perpendicular to the tom. It brought out such a full sound that the difference is night and day. Amazing how much of a difference something like that can make. :drums:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Oh yeah, point them bitches down at the toms. It does make a big difference.
Rebel Yell
miroslav

Post by miroslav »

Damn good tune and mix! :coolstorybro: :cool:

I often check out web tunes on my laptop with a small set of external speakers...but today I brought the laptop to my studio and fed the audio into my studio system...and this was the first tune I heard and :jam: sweet sounds.

On your low mids...are you scoping them out a bit and then letting the real lows come up?
There's a real fat low end...but without any muck-n-mud.
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

First of all, thanx a lot, Miro. :cool:

I'm not deliberately scooping anything and I never put an EQ on my master. So, if I'm cutting low-mids, it would be on individual instruments. So, in that case, I probably am "scooping" mids a bit without really trying to do that. I cut anywhere from 200-400hz on pretty much everything, I think. So, the result is probably less mud, but I'm not doing it globally.
miroslav

Post by miroslav »

Well...whatever you're doing...I really like the sound of the low end.
It just has a fatness, but without even a hint of "boom".

And yeah...I do more individual EQ cuts...but globally it might be just a hint of EQ sweetening, if at all.

I'm trying to finish up a mix to post...thought I would have it done already...but I'm still tweaking the bitch. :wank: :)
Soon...
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

miroslav wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:37 pm thought I would have it done already...but I'm still tweaking the bitch. :wank: :P
Yes comrade. I know the feeling. :headwall:
ido1957

Post by ido1957 »

Yep that bass is sweet. I could use maybe 1/2 db of vocals but the rest is perfect for me. Drums are punchy but crystal clear - love em. This is one busy mofo :) not sure if I could even remember all the parts if I had to play this. Nope impossible lol
People want something for nothing, they want it right now. Either they can't tell quality or don't care but feel it is important that everyone agrees with them.